Sennheiser Orpheus: production and availability
Jan 7, 2003 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
In a thread on Sony R10, the question of another legendary headphone, the Orpheus, turned up. It was said to be discontinued but I had recently seen that Sennheiser still advertise it on their homepage, so I sent an email to Sennheiser to resolve the problem. Of course, something we must know at Head-Fi! Here is the answer:

The Orpheus is a limited edition of 300 headphones (and amplifiers). The Sennheiser headquarter has sold all the 300 pieces. But some of our regional sales partners and subsidiaries still have one or two of the 300. If you would like to buy one please contact your local Sennheiser partner. I know that the subsidiaries in the US and Canada still have one each. But that may change quickly.
In addition we are more than happy to be a market platform for used Orpheuses. Whoever would like to buy or sell one can contact Sennheiser and put his name on a list.

Best regards,
Katrin Bode
Business Area Manager Consumer
Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 25
hip, now i'll just sell my car..
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 25
Are there any new units in the UK?

(I'll have to see if I've got a spare £10,000)

Feb 12, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
A Baby might me interesting.

Wasn't the baby O pretty poor sounding in comparison to the price? I can't remember if I've heard it or not.

Feb 12, 2003 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 25
I might add that the Sennheiser Orpheus is AFAIK the only headphone for which measurements are done up to 60 kHz and they've bee recommended by many audiologists for ultrasound studies.

That means, that their ultrasound frequency output is not just noise, as in some other manufacturer's ultrasound capable headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

regards,
Halcyon

Feb 12, 2003 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Wasn't the baby O pretty poor sounding in comparison to the price? I can't remember if I've heard it or not.

I tried the Baby O for a couple of weeks a year ago-a fellow dealer was kind enough to give them to me. The cans are a real “baby” super comfortable very wide soundstage and with an impressive sense of depth-a bit week on bass. But the amp was a small plastic box with a cheep wall wart,these cans needed something better
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by halcyon
I might add that the Sennheiser Orpheus is AFAIK the only headphone for which measurements are done up to 60 kHz and they've bee recommended by many audiologists for ultrasound studies.

After having listened to speakers with super-tweeters (20KHz to 90KHz), I came to the conclusion that the very high frequencies seemed to give the music much more body and weight - everything was much more natural.

I strongly suspect that the extended frequency response of the Orpheus is one of the reasons for it sounding so effortlessly natural.

--Jatinder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back