Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 vs. HE 1 - Impressions of a direct comparison
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #76 of 153
Why am I not surprised the OP prefer the HE90 over the HE-1.
More than half the cost went into marbles and motorized tubes and headphone case instead of cost no object sound.
As the amp in the HE90/HEV90 system was it weak point.
They should of just used the T2 as a reference point for the HE-1 development.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #77 of 153
Quick update.

Got a XF2 quad, a pair of the early O2s MkI and then the SR-009s.

I found the O2s too thick/dark sounding and lacking the resolution/airness of the HE90s. Their sub-bass was amazing, but that was about it. I was expecting a lot more, so it was kind of disappointing. Maybe I was unlucky and should try another pair in the future.

I sold the O2s and got the SR-009s. Technically speaking, they're amazing. Fast, clean, resolving and transparent.
However, I can't wear them for more than 30 minutes without feeling fatigued and reaching for the HE90s. As revealing as they are, they just don't sound as real or natural to me. I always get more involved when wearing the Senns. Not to mention that the HE90s are much more comfortable and lightweight.

In fact, I'm still to hear anything better than the T2/HE90. What a wonderful combo!

IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5116.jpg
That's a gorgeous setup buddy indeed. But alas, we are saving for a new house(3 kids now) and I'll have to settle for the time being.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #78 of 153
I found the O2s too thick/dark sounding and lacking the resolution/airness of the HE90s. Their sub-bass was amazing, but that was about it. I was expecting a lot more, so it was kind of disappointing. Maybe I was unlucky and should try another pair in the future.

After re-reading my own statement above I feel obliged to inform about my latest impressions on the SR-007s.

The first pair I got was an SZ1 and it was indeed disappointing. The sound was just off... But I felt I had to give it a second chance and bought an earlier 70xxx pair... holy crap!!! They are completely different animals. Not as dark as the SZ1 at all, bass is AMAZING, a lot of body and authority... and at the same time the delicacy and finesse known of the best electrostatics are just there... silky and fluid sound all across the spectrum. Smooth and totally unfatiguing, with just the right amount of resolution - balance is spot on! Soundstage and imaging are also amazing.

I like them so much that couldn't resist and bought another pair, a pristine 71xxx with only a few hours on it. Just got them in the mail and have them on my head as I type now. First impressions: bass is even more pronounced (probably the best I've ever heard), and overall it sounds as smooth as the 70xxx but just a little bit more open (less muddy), which is to my liking.

Bottom line: the SR-007s are hard to beat, but they need proper amplification and you have to find the right pair.

I think I have a new reference for pop and jazz. For classical, I still prefer the HE90s (nothing does strings like them IMO).

Well, I'm thrilled... this will be a long weekend!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #79 of 153

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #80 of 153
Early 007s are some of the best headphones ever made. Mine is a 71xxx and it just sounds right in so many ways. Not perfect, there is a slight midrange coloration and macrodynamics could be a bit punchier, but it's endlessly resolving, open, 3-dimensional, and very natural throughout. There are so many times I've caught myself hearing sounds in a recording that I know well, be it ambient outside sounds or acoustic instruments, and just walking outside and hearing the same sounds makes me realize that yes, old 007s get it right. In comparison the new 007A is brighter, a bit punchier, but the mids and highs are more colored and it needs modding and EQ to sound natural.

The bass is indeed excellent and not just for an estat but for any headphone, as long as you have a beefy amp.

The worst aspect of the 007s design is the self-adjusting headband. If you have just the right head shape/size you won't have any problems, but for many they just won't fit right and you constantly have to fiddle with them, bend the headband, rotate the pads, and sometimes you are pretty much limited to having to physically hold them in place. That's what I have to do in my new 007 which has tighter elastics, and I think I need to mod said elastics and extend them to get it to fit without having to hold it.

If it had a normal adjustable suspension headband and a fully articulating swivel earcup mechanism like the 009, then the fit would be much more consistent between users, and impressions about the sound would also be more consistent than they currently are. That's the #1 thing Stax needs to improve in the next Omega.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #81 of 153
The 007 is pretty awesome out of the T2. I second that as well.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #82 of 153
The 007 is pretty awesome out of the T2. I second that as well.
Hi.

In the case that it would be alright for me to enquire, I would be interested to know of why you appear to continue to possess multiple amplifiers for electrostatic headphones, considering that you appear to currently possess a DIY T2 unit.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #83 of 153
I don't own a DIY T2 but I know the answer is because different amp have different sound signature.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #84 of 153
I don't own a DIY T2 but I know the answer is because different amp have different sound signature.
Hi.

In the case that it would be alright for me to enquire, I would be interested to know of why you appear to continue to possess multiple amplifiers for electrostatic headphones, considering that you appear to currently possess a DIY T2 unit.
Crazy...and not knowing when to stop? Addiction? Honestly, I shouldn't need anything else when I have the T2, but I don't listen to the T2 on the daily basis. I usually listen to my HD800 the most out of either the iBass DX220 Max modified or Sony WM-1A modified at work...then I listen to other systems when I get home...usually before I go to bed.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #85 of 153
After re-reading my own statement above I feel obliged to inform about my latest impressions on the SR-007s.

The first pair I got was an SZ1 and it was indeed disappointing. The sound was just off... But I felt I had to give it a second chance and bought an earlier 70xxx pair... holy crap!!! They are completely different animals. Not as dark as the SZ1 at all, bass is AMAZING, a lot of body and authority... and at the same time the delicacy and finesse known of the best electrostatics are just there... silky and fluid sound all across the spectrum. Smooth and totally unfatiguing, with just the right amount of resolution - balance is spot on! Soundstage and imaging are also amazing.

I like them so much that couldn't resist and bought another pair, a pristine 71xxx with only a few hours on it. Just got them in the mail and have them on my head as I type now. First impressions: bass is even more pronounced (probably the best I've ever heard), and overall it sounds as smooth as the 70xxx but just a little bit more open (less muddy), which is to my liking.

Bottom line: the SR-007s are hard to beat, but they need proper amplification and you have to find the right pair.

I think I have a new reference for pop and jazz. For classical, I still prefer the HE90s (nothing does strings like them IMO).

Well, I'm thrilled... this will be a long weekend!
Did you audition one of the Shangri-La's?

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #86 of 153
Did you audition one of the Shangri-La's?
Yes, I did audition the Senior's with their own companion amp. It was a short listening session under non-ideal conditions, but I thought it sounded pretty close to what I am used to get from the HE90s. I'm not sure how they would stand against the HE90s in a more careful direct comparison, but I guess the HE90s would be more refined overall. I would love to try the Shangri-la's with my T2.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #87 of 153
I would also have to add to the multiple post saying how special the 007 is.. there really isn't anything like it imo. Just a hair shy of the performance technically of some of the TOTL headphones.. but one of the very few headphones that gets timbre just right, with the perfect balance of resolution, warmth and bass. For me, the fit can be a bit finicky and weird, but once right can just spend hours with it.

As much as I love planars, stats just have a magic that can't be replicated.. I don't see myself getting rid of my Stax system anytime soon...... and especially not with the Shangri-La on the way. :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #88 of 153
I would also have to add to the multiple post saying how special the 007 is.. there really isn't anything like it imo. Just a hair shy of the performance technically of some of the TOTL headphones.. but one of the very few headphones that gets timbre just right, with the perfect balance of resolution, warmth and bass. For me, the fit can be a bit finicky and weird, but once right can just spend hours with it.

As much as I love planars, stats just have a magic that can't be replicated.. I don't see myself getting rid of my Stax system anytime soon...... and especially not with the Shangri-La on the way. :)
I’m real curious about what you think of the Shangri-La Sr. Are you going to try it out on the BHSE as well as the dedicated SRL Sr amp? I’m interested in seeing what the differences are.

Also, I’m very jealous :L3000:

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #89 of 153
I’m real curious about what you think of the Shangri-La Sr. Are you going to try it out on the BHSE as well as the dedicated SRL Sr amp? I’m interested in seeing what the differences are.

Also, I’m very jealous :L3000:

Just out of the BHSE, only have the actual headphones alone on the way (well, given the wait that is). I definitely can't afford the whole system lol. But if these are as good as I've read about, I would clear other headphones out and maybe spring for a T2. Although I have to honestly say, I have been extremely happy with the BHSE for a long time, could live with it.

And definitely, when I get them I'm going to be as honest as possible about their performance. The only thing I will say is I bought the Susvara new and it didn't sound great at first at all to me--and I don't really put much stock in burn-in (usually just a hearing/mental adjusting imo), yet it was a pretty drastic change over a few weeks. So I'll keep that in mind, but absolutely will share plenty of impressions and comparisons.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #90 of 153

Do do you have the Mk. 1 70xxx, 71xxx or SZ1? I have a SZ1 here and planned to buy a KGSSHV Carbon for it but now i don't know if it's worth it if the differences to the 70xxx and the 71xxx are so much. From reading i'm guess that the 009 and the 009s aren't for me so maybe the better option is selling the 007 and buy the whole Shangri-La Jr. system as i seem to like the Hifiman house sound and also liked the Jade II.

Or is it worth to look out for a 70xxx or 71xxx?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back