Sennheiser or Audio-Technica
Apr 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

VicM

New Head-Fier
Sennheiser HD 595 or 555, or the Audio-Technica ATH-A700. I am having trouble picking between them. I don't know much about headphones but I am a gamer and I listen to music all the time like metal/trance and classics like pink floyd/zeppelin. Which one do you think would be best? I don't have an amp It will be hooked up to an azune xfi prelude. 180$ was the price id like to stay around if you are going to suggest somthing else.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 13
I personally havnt heard the hd555 or 595 but compared to the other senns I've heard I definitely prefer AT. I wouldnt recommend the A700 over any of the other open cans unless you want bass. You might also want to look into the AD700.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally havnt heard the hd555 or 595 but compared to the other senns I've heard I definitely prefer AT. I wouldnt recommend the A700 over any of the other open cans unless you want bass. You might also want to look into the AD700.

Ah yes the AD700 is what I ment to say, I got the letters mixed up.
redface.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 13
The AD 700 is EXTREMELY comfortable and easy to drive. It has a very open sound with adequate bass but not a 'thumper'.

The 580 is slightly thicker sounding, less edgy. Harder to drive and better to have some power behind it.

I would say that the 580 is probably a better headphone but I use the AD700 on portables where I want to try and get a decent sound without too much trouble.

Ian

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 13
for gaming hd 595. better positioning in fps. if thats what you play. ad 700 is an excellent choice as well but i prefer the 595s. if you go to lans and what not then closed cans get really annoying after a short bit because of the loud background noise they call music at lan centers.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for gaming hd 595. better positioning in fps. if thats what you play. ad 700 is an excellent choice as well but i prefer the 595s. if you go to lans and what not then closed cans get really annoying after a short bit because of the loud background noise they call music at lan centers.

Yea, mainly I play FPS games and few other others. I also listen to music all the time, and I don't goto lans. Its tough choice picking headphones cause there is so many that are good to people. I guess I can't go wrong with either of those since I only use some p.o.s 40$ sony's now.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Get the ad700. It is much better than the HD555. People who have heard both the HD595 and the ad700 say that the ad700 is right there. I have heard people say the ad700 is better than both the 555 and 595. Plus the ad700 is cheaper than the 595.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 13
if you are going to be home and not go to lans DEFINITELY get the 595s. ive owned and gamed with 2 pairs of closed cans for a really really long time (before i came to head fi). they are super light and comfortable, and another + was that you can lie in bed with them on and not be uncomfortable (cant do the same with hd 650s)

just my 2 cents.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 13
I owned the AD700 and HD595 and have heard the HD555

I used them while I was gaming (CS 1.6) and the AD700 is clearly better than the HD555 and a fair bit better than the HD595

Positional audio I found was more natural on the AD700 (won a few tournaments using the AD700 :p)

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the AD700 and HD595 and have heard the HD555

I used them while I was gaming (CS 1.6) and the AD700 is clearly better than the HD555 and a fair bit better than the HD595

Positional audio I found was more natural on the AD700 (won a few tournaments using the AD700 :p)

not to be rude but heres an exercise you should try to determine which headphone is better for cs. go to a server with a teammate (just the 2 of you should be in the server), plant the bomb and run far as quickly as possible and then have him defuse the bomb. on d2 you can hear farther from pit with the 555s than the 595s and 700 but on all other maps/positions the 595s win in terms of position and distance.

other spots to try -

1. d2 - stand on the boxes at t mid and try to listen for a guy running in lower b. cant be done with a 700.
2. plant bomb behind the box (ramp plant) and try to have a teammate defuse the bomb while you hide on cat and try to listen to him. not only that but try to figure out which way his head is (no peeking through box crack) and shoot him. you can pick when he starts defusing with all 3 but can only tell where he was crouched with the 595s.
3. hide behind stairs on cat and have your teammate run around in lower and start walking backwards up the stairs and see when you can stop hearing him on stairs. distance will be longer with the 595s yet again.
4. de_cpl_strike - plant at b near the triple and go hide in ladder room with you ear next to the wall nearest the bomb. slowly move away. only the 650 and 595 can pick up the sound of the person defusing at that distance.
5. same map - plant for firebox and go to mid ramp and try to walk back and see when you can stop hearing the person defusing.
6. same map - plant for ct spawn and go apts and see how far you can hear the bomb being defused.

there are a lot more maps and places where you can test out the hearing capabilities of your headphones.

it is NOT source dependent because i have personally heard the difference so any article you quote written by another fellow gamer stating otherwise wont hold much weight just like an article saying the icemat siberias are the best gaming headset wont.

i have been playing cs (only, i dont play any other games...they are all a waste of time, i know it, so does everyone else so instead of playing 10 different ones might as well get good at one and potentially win some money - ive placed in cevo tourneys
biggrin.gif
) since 1.0.9. back when they had won id's so while i may not be able to claim knowing a lot about headphones or this hobby in general im fairly certain of my knowledge of cs and the things that go on in it (including sound).

i was strat caller for all the teams i was on and as a result of the excessive thinking i became a better strat caller but a lousy shot which made me depend on sound even more. so much so, for practices when the rest of the team was doing dry runs of strats i had to be exploring the capabilities of my sound setup to see how far i could hear the enemies coming and call accordingly. all this may sound very nerdy, but when you have been doing something for over 7 years you tend to figure out the very minute details.

/rant phew!

after all this, the choice is still yours. i cant make such strong claims about many other games but for most the same sound details apply. if you play competitively enough to where you are entering paid tourneys and playing for serious cash then even that little edge, even if it is 2 steps on a staircase, will help you. on the other hand if you are a casual gamer, you cant go wrong with either. but between the 555 and the 595 i would go with the 595 simply because it sounds better with music as well. between the 595 and the 700, the choice is yours.

hope that helps
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 13
i just bought the a900, i think you should get the dt 770
pads are better and better sound imo

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/rant phew!

I'd rather test it in a real battle situation than exercises that you suggested. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in real games I found the AD700 was the better headphone

We all have different ears and no one headphone will always clearly better than another.

In my experience the AD700 was overall much better. Better for music as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back