Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #436 of 560
That's the kicker though, isn't it? As long as they work...
Well, I'm fairly devastated to report my 3rd pair is now exhibiting similar symptoms to the first 2 pairs IE noticeably reduced volume in the left earbud coupled with the dreaded chirping sound!!

There's definitely a correlation with ANC and the hardware that regulates ANC.

When I toggle ANC on, the sound signature changes significantly, including the volume in the left earbud (significantly reduced) and the chirping sound begins.

I'll be returning these for a full refund.

Safe to say, I am well and truly done with the MTW3's

As brilliant as they are, they too flawed to be taken seriously.

SUCH A PITY!!

May 30, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #437 of 560
I'd also like to point out, the glue keeping the black inner mesh attached on the left earbud seems to melt and/or dislodge. The net effect is the black inner mesh becomes loose to the point where it falls off.

The glue feels more like a sticky resin. Is this the right compound to use in the construction of these earbuds? Is this possibly an explanation as to why so many of these earbuds eventually fail?

I've seen similar behavior on a pair of Oneplus buds I owned. The symptoms are the same. A loose inner mesh, drastically reduced volume. The mesh on my Oneplus buds disappeared entirely.

Jun 1, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #438 of 560
New firmware released... still not present Side Tone function( As the TWS2 has....) and cannot change functions for calls. Sennheiser is a shame for TWS.... Ill get again a Jabra or a Sony XM4/5

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #439 of 560
So my second pair of earbuds have now started to do the chirping sound and reduced volume. Amazon contacted, will only now issue a refund. The quality of these really are poor. Never buy again.

Everyone be warned, wear these regularly, everyday, because sooner or later they will break.

Jun 10, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #440 of 560
Reading the replies on this thread about the glue becoming soft and going over a sensor in the bud, I had a look at this and decided to peel back the film, where I removed this glue. I then carefully replaced the film, putting the bud over it. I've listend and there is no more chirping and the volume has increased too.

I don't know whether there is a way of securing the film with a dab of super glue?

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #441 of 560
Reading the replies on this thread about the glue becoming soft and going over a sensor in the bud, I had a look at this and decided to peel back the film, where I removed this glue. I then carefully replaced the film, putting the bud over it. I've listend and there is no more chirping and the volume has increased too.

I don't know whether there is a way of securing the film with a dab of super glue?
The 'glue' is a big issue.

I'm perplexed as to why manufacturers are using it. There must be a technical reason they can't use a material less pliable.

Shopping for a replacement set and considering the Technics AZ60's. Reading amazon reviews and they seem to suffer a similar fate to the Sennheiser. Just not as regularly.

My OnePlus buds failed too and the same sticky resin (and lose and then lost mesh membrane) was the cause.

Would be nice to get some feedback from an engineer.

I've since settled on a pair of Tozo's Golden X1's. They seem to have a metal mesh and there's no indication from the numerous reviews I've read, that they suffer the same fate as the Sennies/Technics.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #442 of 560
The 'glue' is a big issue.

I'm perplexed as to why manufacturers are using it. There must be a technical reason they can't use a material less pliable.

Shopping for a replacement set and considering the Technics AZ60's. Reading amazon reviews and they seem to suffer a similar fate to the Sennheiser. Just not as regularly.

My OnePlus buds failed too and the same sticky resin (and lose and then lost mesh membrane) was the cause.

Would be nice to get some feedback from an engineer.

I've since settled on a pair of Tozo's Golden X1's. They seem to have a metal mesh and there's no indication from the numerous reviews I've read, that they suffer the same fate as the Sennies/Technics.
If this works, peal back the gauze and remove the goo, then there should be no need to return these, I hope. And that is a cheap and easy fix. It cirtainly sounds like it's fixed the issue.

For a more permenant fix to the gauze- cocktail stick and dab of super glue 🙂

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #443 of 560
If this works, peal back the gauze and remove the goo, then there should be no need to return these, I hope. And that is a cheap and easy fix. It cirtainly sounds like it's fixed the issue.

For a more permenant fix to the gauze- cocktail stick and dab of super glue 🙂
My 3rd pair were collected on Thursday. I'm fairly devastated cause they sound phenomenal

Your fix sounds plausible.

I did something similar on my OnePlus buds but the mesh got lose at some stage and I outright lost it. They've been rubbish ever since.

Super glue might be a necessity, for a long term solution Let us know how it goes.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #444 of 560
My 3rd pair were collected on Thursday. I'm fairly devastated cause they sound phenomenal

Your fix sounds plausible.

I did something similar on my OnePlus buds but the mesh got lose at some stage and I outright lost it. They've been rubbish ever since.

Super glue might be a necessity, for a long term solution Let us know how it goes.
Atm the rubber ear tip only is holding it on, so your most likely right 👍

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #445 of 560
So I've listend to the MW'3's for abput an hour this evening, no issues, no chirping, volume back. I'd go as far to say that they sound as good as if not better than new.

If anyone has the same issues, get the permission to return, the carefully remove the plastic gauze which sits on the ear bud, then rip out the glue/goop. Carefully replace the gauze putting the rubber on top. I'd go as far to say do this from new, mine sound completely different from when I first wore them before the chirping started this morning.

If it resolves your issues, cancel the return.

Jun 12, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #447 of 560
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #448 of 560
The way I look at it is these are never a forever product. Sooner or later the batteries die and the only way forward are new buds.

It's possible they'll run fine without the mesh. If you look in the rubber tip there's a small amount of sponge foam. I actually believe this sponge may add to the problem. That sponge may rest on the mesh. As the bud becomes warmer it softens the goo. If you then have to reajust the bud for any reason, the rubber tip moves, withe sponge pressing down on the mesh, that is forced to move, causing the goo to move and causing the problem.

I say this as the chirping sound occured exactly after reajusting my left ear bud.

It is interesting it only happens to the left bud. But you don't have to remove all the goo like I did, you could remove just enough to clear the sensor.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #449 of 560
Sadly, today I have a silent left earbud. Bought in November from Amazon UK (who say they are out of the returns warranty with them).

If i touch the earpad I hear a very faint metallic 'tink'. However, I can still use the earbud to control play, pause etc in the right earbud.

I'm not sure how similar this experience is to other people, but any help/advice would be welcomed.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #450 of 560
Sadly, today I have a silent left earbud. Bought in November from Amazon UK (who say they are out of the returns warranty with them).

If i touch the earpad I hear a very faint metallic 'tink'. However, I can still use the earbud to control play, pause etc in the right earbud.

I'm not sure how similar this experience is to other people, but any help/advice would be welcomed.
They have a 2 year warrenty on them. I suggest try what I did, if not you can contact Sennheiser directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back