Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #424 of 560
I'm not sure if I should give it another try, the sound is great and all that but the quality control seems to not be there yet.

I'm going for my third pair of mtw3 since December last year and they all died within 2-3 months of use, luckily for me I've been able to get my money back everytime. They all start with the crackling noise coming from one of buds, volume starts to be uneven and with a lower quality until the point of being completely unusable due to the amount of crackling noise coming from it. Other issue I have once they start going bad is connectivity issues with my phone/PC and requiring multiple seats on the case to actually start charging.

Side note, I use them 1-2h everyday, never dropped/hit them or the case and I never wear them in extreme conditions (bad weather, gym, outside, etc..). I mostly use them when traveling by car or before going to bed.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #425 of 560
I made it six months. Now the right-hand earpiece crackles with every step and the sound disappears every 30 seconds or so. I'll get it replaced but I can't see these getting through a 2 year warranty period.

May 24, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #426 of 560
All these reports about the crackling mtw3s are making me afraid. I have mine since september last year (so about 8 months) and am listening not so very often. Once per month on a train, and several times a week in bed to better fall asleep. Until now everything is fine.

One thing that is annoying: If you have connected (or better: configured) two devices but one device is not nearby, you can start listening music with the other device. After one or more minutes suddenly the status voice is telling you very loudly "not connected", but the music ist still playing. So probably the other device is meant. This is a status I do not want to hear while listening to music. Especially because the voice is so very loud and you cannot adjust its volume. I think this could be done better. My solution is to disable the other device in the app's settings.

May 24, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #427 of 560
All these reports about the crackling mtw3s are making me afraid. I have mine since september last year (so about 8 months) and am listening not so very often. Once per month on a train, and several times a week in bed to better fall asleep. Until now everything is fine.

One thing that is annoying: If you have connected (or better: configured) two devices but one device is not nearby, you can start listening music with the other device. After one or more minutes suddenly the status voice is telling you very loudly "not connected", but the music ist still playing. So probably the other device is meant. This is a status I do not want to hear while listening to music. Especially because the voice is so very loud and you cannot adjust its volume. I think this could be done better. My solution is to disable the other device in the app's settings.
My left earpiece developed some loud crackling popping noises that were really unpleasant (would sometimes make my ears ring). I did a factory reset about a month ago and the issue went away for a while...only happened once this week and wasn't too loud. I would send them in for warranty replacement but it is random and I can't replicate it. Usually happens when I first put them in and is like the thumping sound when an amp turns on but painfully loud in the ear.

Otherwise, I have been very happy with the sound and features of the MTW3.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #430 of 560
I had the original MTW at full MSRP which had issues...

It took 2 more interations and a semi reasonable sale price before I was willing to trust Sennheiser with over $250 again.

If the MTW3 end up failing I will likely not be willing to try them for a 3rd go round...

May 24, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #431 of 560
I had the original MTW at full MSRP which had issues...

It took 2 more interations and a semi reasonable sale price before I was willing to trust Sennheiser with over $250 again.

If the MTW3 end up failing I will likely not be willing to try them for a 3rd go round...
Same, I also had to do a replacement for my original MTW. If these start popping in my ear again I will probably cut my losses and move on...definitely no third chances. The new Technics are very tempting to me right now.

May 24, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #432 of 560
Yup, I might nibble o the Technics as well. Waiting for the XM5 to drop before I decide. I also am hoping by Christmas the Technics will start to have some sale pricing...

May 25, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #433 of 560
Yup, I might nibble o the Technics as well. Waiting for the XM5 to drop before I decide. I also am hoping by Christmas the Technics will start to have some sale pricing...
I'll probably do the same, wait on the XM5 then ask for a refund. Currently I'm using one the buds, the left one is completely dead as of today. I hope XM5 won't take much longer to release as I don't wanna be waiting for another 6 more months with only one usable bud neither buy them again and go through the RMA process again in a couple of months.

May 25, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #435 of 560
With XM5 you mean the Sony WF-1000XM5? (Hmm, but these are head phones, not in ears?!)
WF-1000XM5 are in ear, WH-1000XM5 are headphone. Currently there's no XM5 WF version available but we should them soon enough as their headphone version just got updated a couple months ago.
I wonder if there's anyone who never had issues with their MTW3s and will eventually go through their 2 full year warranty protection without sending them back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back