Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #406 of 560
Thanks for the info for the availability of the new firmware. Since the last android app update the app did find the mtws3 but could not connect to them anymore. I had to reboot the Pixel 6a phone to make it work again every time (ok, I tried it two times). With the older app version I never had such problems.

After the app could connect to the mtw3 I could start the firmware update. Unfortunately it did not come to an end. When 2 minutes were left nothing more happened. After waiting 10 more minutes I did swipe the app off and restarted it. It seems that everything is fine now. The app could connect to the mtw3 and it stated that the new firmware is installed.

So how does it sound? I have the feeling that sennheiser did tune the EQ a little bit different than before. More bass and more treble. The bass sounds ok for me but the treble makes things more brillant but also more critical to my ears (a little bit too much, nearly annoying). Why don't they offer the EQ setting from the old firmware as an alternative setting? It does not sound bad, but a little bit different. And I think that I will use the EQ to reduce the treble a little bit. But currently I did not experiment with this yet. All EQ sliders are in position zero.

Regards
Gert

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #407 of 560
The latest firmware that I know of fixed all the conection issues I had with iphone. Since then, they broke... :{

Some issues that I remember of: Charging makes the case warm, the earbuds too, I guess that killed it.

Also, I prefer the fit from the CX, if the MTW3 had the fit of the CX I would buy it again, because soundwise, the MTW3 is very good.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #408 of 560
Thanks for the info for the availability of the new firmware. Since the last android app update the app did find the mtws3 but could not connect to them anymore. I had to reboot the Pixel 6a phone to make it work again every time (ok, I tried it two times). With the older app version I never had such problems.

After the app could connect to the mtw3 I could start the firmware update. Unfortunately it did not come to an end. When 2 minutes were left nothing more happened. After waiting 10 more minutes I did swipe the app off and restarted it. It seems that everything is fine now. The app could connect to the mtw3 and it stated that the new firmware is installed.

So how does it sound? I have the feeling that sennheiser did tune the EQ a little bit different than before. More bass and more treble. The bass sounds ok for me but the treble makes things more brillant but also more critical to my ears (a little bit too much, nearly annoying). Why don't they offer the EQ setting from the old firmware as an alternative setting? It does not sound bad, but a little bit different. And I think that I will use the EQ to reduce the treble a little bit. But currently I did not experiment with this yet. All EQ sliders are in position zero.

Regards
Gert
I had the same update experience. Got to 2 minutes and stopped. I reset the buds and restarted the app and it claims the update is in place.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #409 of 560
Mine stopped at around 90%, when I restarted it, it went back to 75% then quickly finished the update. When complete is should say the version 2.12.33

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #411 of 560
It is unusual, the update seems particularly large and comprehensive.

May 1, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #412 of 560
I was struggling to enjoy these since I picked them up a couple of weeks ago. To the point I was ready to just flip them and move on.

This morning they had a new update available to move them to 2.12.33 for 2.10.xx and holy crap! After the update they wanted me to do the test again and they completely changed it! The test was a bit confusing but the end results are nothing short of miraculous. Here is my comments I just made in the "are we there yet thread".

Hmm, OK new honeymoon phase with the MTW3. This new hearing test has flipped these on their ear or should I say my ear! 😉

After the test, guitars have more crunch and bit, vocals are on the verge of sibilant which is just where I like em, drum kits have nice authority on both low and high ends. It's like someone sharpened the pencil just before drawing the picture!

Really good for older rock music. Just listening to Boston "Peace of Mind" a song that can be very bland on lots of gear and it's sounding pretty fantastic with nice detail and vibrancy.

Just switched to some Jazz, Holly Cole "One Trick Pony" and darn these sound simply amazing. Patricia Barber is also sounding off the charts. Miles Davis "Concierto de Aranjuez: Adagio" also simply amazing. Finished of with Nelly McKay "Zombie" and while not quite as 3D is it can be also sounded crisp and detailed.

Finally thought I better see how it handles classical music and sound tracks. Played several songs from Hans Zimmer "Interstellar and they sound amazing especially any bass heavy parts. Switched to Arvo Pärt Symphony No. 3 and again it just sounded amazing.

I am tempted to do the test again but terrified I will lose what ever magic in the bottle I have attained!

I know I am in a honeymoon phase here so my comments need to be tempered. But I have had these for weeks with NO HONEYMOON so am just happy to be wowed by them. I hope this honeymoon lasts...
Thanks for the info. Just did the update with no issues but it took the full 20 minutes. Still on the train so haven't been able to try the new Sound Personalization but I was able to load my old preset and it does sound different to me. From my 2 minutes of listening, I feel like the upper bass/lower mids are boosted a bit or something but it can also be my imagination. Will have to try the new Sound Personalization option when I have some time to myself in a quieter place. I suspect it may have to do with the addition of a new 5 band EQ, which is a nice new feature. Has come a long way since the little circle you had to move around to EQ the first gen MTW.

May 1, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #413 of 560
So true! Lol I forgot about that :xf_cool:

May 1, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #414 of 560
That update is a beast, lots of people had it hang and stuff. But the end result is worth the pain. Or it was for me LOL.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #415 of 560
Update is excellent. Sound personalization is finally more than a gimmick, it really improves width and depth and offers very precise bass control. And the volume control is fixed and no longer races up.
I also got the stuck at 2 minutes bug. Just restarted the app and it was updated fine.

May 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #416 of 560
Totally agree, elevated these to my best TWS. Love how they sound now.

My only gripe is accidental volume increase if I pull them from my ear and put them in jy pocket or even just hold them in my hand sometimes. I have had a few blasts that my ears don't appreciate.

That and the plastic is soft on the buds... I dropped one and it has a dent now on one of the edges.

Attachments

• MTW3 Dent.jpeg
    MTW3 Dent.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #417 of 560
Update is excellent. Sound personalization is finally more than a gimmick, it really improves width and depth and offers very precise bass control. And the volume control is fixed and no longer races up.
I also got the stuck at 2 minutes bug. Just restarted the app and it was updated fine.
Agreed!

I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

You right, so often sound personalization tweaking is a hit and miss affair but this is proper!

I had a custom preset setup using the extra equalizer bands offered with the upgrade. Was impressed with that but then tried the sound personalization option.

Now toggling between my custom preset and the sound personalization setting and the difference in sound quality is significant! Really impressive piece of wizardry at work here, making an already impressive set of earbuds, that 3%-5% better!

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #418 of 560
Recently received my new pair, loving it so far, but theres something i am unsure of with the sound personalization auto setup, does the fine tuning screen show the entire EQ band to be modified (the square with grid), meaning that the setup before is only used to get a starting point?

May 9, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #419 of 560
Twice now I’ve had a problem in which my MTW3 case will not charge the earbuds. The case can be charged up to 100%, but the earbuds drain to nothing and won’t charge again. Restoring the earbuds to factory settings fixed the issue the first time. But now they just won’t charge at all and the factory reset won’t work. I can’t update the firmware because the earbuds are out of charge.

May 10, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #420 of 560
Any ideas how to revive my MTW3s? The case charges but the buds won't turn on and there is no light on the back of them. Is it another tamagotchi TWS like the Falcon Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back