Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #241 of 560
First off, welcome to the community, and thanks for being a loyal Sennheiser customer through the years!

I've seen the reddit threads and we've been investigating and reviewing returned units for further diagnosis to connect the dots. While we strive for 100% satisfaction and reliability, the % of failures is taken serious, even when it is a very, very, very small percent of units sold.

Here's the truth about multipoint release date expectations: if the update were to be delayed because it needs more work, we will have let you down by missing that date. If we meet the date but it is not satisfactory, we have let you down. The best option is to get the update to you as soon as feasible so that the experience improves. It is being worked on for deployment and will be available soon, when ready. Sorry it cannot be sooner, trust me I wish this were available at launch as well. If I choose to be silent about the pending release, some customers may return them, only to become frustrated when it is finally released, saying "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US?!!?" So, I kindly ask for some additional patience, and reassure you that it is coming 🙏 I'll DM you about the charging.
Did you find out why many have had left ear bud failure la under 3 months of use as I have ?

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #242 of 560
The problem is this should of been out day one.

There’s been no update for other problems since launch

2. Very very slow connection to the app

3. No ANC adjustments

4. There way to sensitive at picking up breezes when anc is turned on

5 no way of activation wind anc with the buds you have to go to the app all the time to do this.
I would like to see improvements in these areas as well [edited your post above to reflect the elements more important to me]. I'm actually about to go on a walk on this breezy day and not sure if I'll bring MTW3 or my over-ear Sonys. I don't use the app much but have noticed it takes some time to connect and recognize the buds. But I suppose fixes to that would impact battery live on the headphones or the source device, and the S22U doesn't have much battery life to spare.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #243 of 560
I have been enjoying the Momentum 3 True buds and I am VERY pleased.
I am coming from the Shure's SE846, Sony 1000XM4, AirPods Max, and so far I have returned the Mest MK2, Westone MACH 70s, Sennheiser IE900, to give you an idea of how picky I am...
These earphones are smaller and sound more balanced than the Sonys. They also sound louder. The 1000XM4s have no treble, ANC is similar, and EQ on both is just OK. Spotify's eq is much better than both together...
It is hard to believe how amazing True wireless buds sound these days. Most of times the complaints are not related to sound anymore, they address seamless connectivity issues fit and battery life.
Yes, we can argue that it is hard for old schoolers to cut the cord.... but honestly, I do not feel that I am missing anything with the lush, full and detailed sound the Momentum 3 produce and being wireless is a clear advantage.
Are these earbuds detailed? YES. Are they the most detailed buds in the market? no but in my over 20 years experience with iems, very detailed IEMs are either shouty or too bright becoming fatiguing ruining the experience.
These earphones are very musical, they exhibit a little bass boost and but are very neutral from mids to highs. Vocals do not seem to be recessed, male and female vocals sound wonderful, zero sibilance. Bass is to die for and I am coming from the venerable SE846 and AirPods Max. Depth, slam, rumble and does not bleed in the mids. Treble is good and natural. I like it better than the SE846s. Channel separation is amazing.

To my ears these are baby AirPods Max.

Grows: Multi-Point connectivity, some connectivity bugs. I am listening music, my iPhone rings, I get the call, and the call goes to the Phone.... not to the Momentum.... weird..., High End Sound tuning mode

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #244 of 560
These earphones are very musical
That is a great way to describe their tuning. Welcome to the #MTW3Club (and #IE900Club!)

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 25, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #245 of 560
I would like to see improvements in these areas as well [edited your post above to reflect the elements more important to me]. I'm actually about to go on a walk on this breezy day and not sure if I'll bring MTW3 or my over-ear Sonys. I don't use the app much but have noticed it takes some time to connect and recognize the buds. But I suppose fixes to that would impact battery live on the headphones or the source device, and the S22U doesn't have much battery life to spare.
yep i sent mine back for a refund as these where my 2nd pair as i cannot be bothered with returns but give any device a chance twice, there seems to be some design flaws or manufacture issues with these and because there has been no updates since release i find that very poor as well. at least Sony here on the ball with that,

I am going to try the new apple air pods pro 2 and see how i fair with them as it seems there really good reviews. i was going to buy another set of these but i just cannot take the chance if the fail again and poor updates to the set.

i read this on amazon and its what i am getting and its not the first report of this to as it seems common. and this review sums it up for me as its the same what i was getting

Good Sound but Glitch Galore - On my 4th Replacement Pair
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 23 August 2022

I've been a Sennheiser fan for over 15 years now and have consistently been impressed by the sound quality of their headphones. I decided to update from the Momentum 2s and get the newer 3s but have so far been disappointed by some of the features and glitches experienced.

First things first, I am now on my fourth pair of Momentum 3s since around May 2022 (it's August now). Amazon have been amazing with their product support and have replaced each pair but I'm now returning my current (4th!!) pair for the final time and will not be reordering these earbuds again.

I've noticed that after around 6 weeks of fresh out of the box usage, the right ear bud develops an issue where it is suddenly a lot quieter than the left one, which I believe is a major connection flaw. Have tried everything - resetting to factory, updating, refreshing connections, etc… but have concluded it’s definitely a hardware issue.

As well as the quiet issue on the right ear bud, it also develops a high pitched circular ringing sound that pings every 2 seconds as if it's trying to connect to something but can't. This is the exact same issue I experienced on previous malfunctioning pairs and it seems to have around the same time (after about 6 weeks) as my previous three pairs. I'm gutted to say yhis because the sound quality and ANC on these headphones really is exceptional. I have seen this hardware issue mentioned in other reviews and given just how new the headphones are to the market, as well as the fact that I have had the exact same issue on 4 pairs now in as many months, I am led to believe that this is a major manufacturor issues that is unheard of for Sennheiser in my experience. Very disappointing!

The other downside on these headphones is that unlike the Momentum 2s, there is no transparency mode during phone calls (only during music). If you try to activate the transparency mode during a call, it'll simply cut your call off. It's really disappointing not to have this feature, particularly as they were included on the older Momentum 2s. It's really helpful being able to hear your surroundings on a phone call, especially when walking on busy roads in Central London. Transparency mode shouldn't just be limited to music-listening, as these headphones are so much more than that (the call quality itself is brilliant). Sennheiser justify dropping the transparency mode on calls as being essential to the call quality... What baffles me is that they had them on the Momentum 2s, so why haven't they been able to replicate this on the 3s?

The build quality is nice on the 3s but my recommendation would be to opt for the Momentum 2s if you're in the market for a pair of Sennheiser TrueWireless buds. Yes, the 2s are a bit bigger but they’ll be cheaper, will have less connectivity issues, will have better transparency mode features and overall, will sound pretty similar.

*****Update*****
Got a voucher upon return of the Sennheiser TWM3s and put it towards the Sony XF-1000M4s.
Buy the Sonys… way better experience. You have transparency on calls for a start and way better interface on the app. Sound quality is also comparable (and Sony’s are cheaper).

shame

Sep 25, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #246 of 560
So after reading mariowar’s review and because they are available on amazon.de for 199€ currently I decided to order the mtw3. Some minutes later I saw meridius’ comment. Oh, well. I'm curious to see what this turns out to be.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #247 of 560
So after reading mariowar’s review and because they are available on amazon.de for 199€ currently I decided to order the mtw3. Some minutes later I saw meridius’ comment. Oh, well. I'm curious to see what this turns out to be.
Not everyone are getting the hardware fault but there does seem to be some sort of problem. It’s like anything I suppose but I could not go for a third pair. Unless I can not get anything to replace them with. Was going to try the Bose but I was not impressed by some of the reviews. So the only one left is apple or wait till next year for the Sony Xm5 versions but that’s to far. What I did not like is missing features from The 2nd version and no updates in 4 months to improve or support the features missing.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #248 of 560
Got these today and liking the sound for now, honestly it is too early for me to comment. But one thing which I already dislike is the wind noise if I am on normal ANC mode I have to specifically choose the wind noise reduction mode from the app but then the overall ANC is not great. I wish there was simply a single mode which took care of both. It is so much better on my Jabra which I use for running/working out. I am really considering sending these back for this alone but the sound quality is holding me back.

@ericpalonen - I hope you can convey the same to your team who work on firmware updates. Or atleast some way to control the windnoise reduction from the buds. Also, please try and offer multipoint as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #249 of 560
I did notice an occasional and very sudden spike in the left ear during podcasts. I had to manually power the left bud on both times I used the headphones today out of the case, too.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #250 of 560
Hi,

I have got the mtw3 yesterday and tried them for an hour. Like @TIEM it is to early for me to judge the mtw3s.
My first impression: The sound heavily depends on how the buds sit in your ears. First attempt was ok. Second too much treble und less bass. Third way too much bass. I turned bass and treble to -3db. After listening for an hour I switched to my hifi system and this did sound as good as never before, so relaxing. So maybe I have to get used to the in ears sound first. I can't compare them to many other in ears. I just own the wired Sennheiser IE8.

Connection was very fast with my Pixel 6a phone. The App did find the mtw3 very quickly. FIrmware update was done fine. (I find it so very fascinating that there is a mini computer system in such little things with CPU, RAM, flash-RAM, offering connectivity and all these functionality...)

But one thing is irritating. When listening to one track via qobuz app in hires: "I don't mind" from Joy Crookes https://open.qobuz.com/album/ogpa6463mj3hb the voice sounds very fluttering, distorted, like the sound was clipping. On my hifi the track certainly is heavily loudness compressed, But the very deep bass and the voice are sounding clean. Does anybody else hear this?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #251 of 560
What is interesting: The app does show the hardware revisions. Mine are 93 (and 0.8.1 for the case). Are there different versions on the market? And what is the most recent version?

Current firmware is 2.6.8 (and 0.0.23 for the case)

It seems that the main side (deutsch: "Hauptseite") can change? Yesterday it was "left". Today it is "right". Isn't the phone streaming to both buds but only to one?

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #252 of 560
So as a follow up I listened to many of my fav. songs and I have to say that these sound great. I did change the EQ a bit which I will mention below but I love how controlled and tight the bass is and satisfies my needs (I am not much of a bass head), the mids shine through - the instrument separation is amazing but it needs improvements in the vocals they come across a little 'muted' at times. The highs were lacking a bit on the out of the box tuning so I upped it a little and now I really like them. All in all brilliant sound for TWS. Sadly my point on how I miss the anti wind noise in the default ANC still stands and is annoying, my cheaper buds handle wind noise better on the default ANC. But I guess I will be keeping them for the sound alone. Hopefully, the multipoint feature update will land soon. Will play around with the EQ more but for now I am pretty happy with the below:

Bass: -2 Db
Mids: +1 Db
Highs: +2 Db

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #253 of 560
Fit is crucial with all iems.
I was not able to achieve a good seal with any of the tips. I ended up using the Sony Hybrids.
Current firmware is fine, the case one is not.
I just tested this song via Qobuz and to my ears the Momentum 3 did an amazing job with this bassy song. I also tested it with my Airpod Max. In addition to that, I played it with Apple Music as well.
The only issue was a tiny bit of bass distortion at 0.44 seconds on both headphones /apps that do not distract for the overall experience.
I wonder if this distortion/compression comes from the recording itself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back