Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #212 of 560
Just got these.Just tried them a little bit and think they sound good.I now have the ie 300 for sale.Since i have the ie 600 too,im letting go of the ie 300. Need some bucks to finance the momentum 4 wich is coming soon.The mw3 is really comfortable,and great to not have the cable.And im going to keep my ie 600 with the chord mojo 2/poly combo for the times i just want to relax and disappear into the music.But for casuall allround listening i think the mw3 is a good compromise.I wonder what sound profile the momentum 4 headphones will sound like 🤔

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #213 of 560
One weird thing I get with the Smart Control app is the ‘Transparency mode’ section is mislabeled as Firmware update:
F454D841-EDF2-4009-A691-D7731372A528.jpeg

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #215 of 560
Hi All,

I stumbled across this thread while doing some research on the MTW3, and so far it seems like one of the most comprehensive sources of information, particularly compared with many of the online reviews which seem to gloss over various details. As such, I decided to register an account here to get some feedback from people with hands on experience.

I'm looking to purchase a set of MTW3, mainly for music in the office and while travelling, but also for phone calls (iPhone) and video conferences (PC). One feature which will determine my choice of IEM is sidetone during calls, both how it functions, and whether it can be disabled completely. I've seen mixed reports on how sidetone functions on the MTW3, being that this model does not have sidetone at all, to sidetone being provided through through bone conduction rather than the built in mics. I even received a one sentence reply from Sennheiser support on this question simply saying that "sidetone cannot be disabled", leaving me even more confused about these headphones.

For reference, I had a set of headphones from another manufacturer which did not allow sidetone to be disabled at all during phone calls. The built in microphones would not only pick up my own voice, but also other ambient sound around me, playing it back through the speakers, making the headphones almost unusable for phone calls. I was told by customer support for that brand that this was a design feature, rather than a fault...

I also have a set of Jabra 75T Elites which I've been pretty happy with in terms of sound quality and call performance (with sidetone being optional), however they're getting on a bit now, so I'm here looking for their replacement.

Apologies for the wall of text, but appreciate any feedback you guys have regarding sidetone on the MTW3, and whether these are the headphones I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #216 of 560
Hi All,

I stumbled across this thread while doing some research on the MTW3, and so far it seems like one of the most comprehensive sources of information, particularly compared with many of the online reviews which seem to gloss over various details. As such, I decided to register an account here to get some feedback from people with hands on experience.

I'm looking to purchase a set of MTW3, mainly for music in the office and while travelling, but also for phone calls (iPhone) and video conferences (PC). One feature which will determine my choice of IEM is sidetone during calls, both how it functions, and whether it can be disabled completely. I've seen mixed reports on how sidetone functions on the MTW3, being that this model does not have sidetone at all, to sidetone being provided through through bone conduction rather than the built in mics. I even received a one sentence reply from Sennheiser support on this question simply saying that "sidetone cannot be disabled", leaving me even more confused about these headphones.

For reference, I had a set of headphones from another manufacturer which did not allow sidetone to be disabled at all during phone calls. The built in microphones would not only pick up my own voice, but also other ambient sound around me, playing it back through the speakers, making the headphones almost unusable for phone calls. I was told by customer support for that brand that this was a design feature, rather than a fault...

I also have a set of Jabra 75T Elites which I've been pretty happy with in terms of sound quality and call performance (with sidetone being optional), however they're getting on a bit now, so I'm here looking for their replacement.

Apologies for the wall of text, but appreciate any feedback you guys have regarding sidetone on the MTW3, and whether these are the headphones I'm looking for.
First of all, welcome to Head-Fi! This is a great community and pretty much everyone is here to enlighten, share, and is also curious about your own experiences with the gear you own (and the gear you want). The Sennheiser Smart Control app (iOS, Android) offers a host of customization controls for applicable headphone/earphones like MTW2, MTW3 and the new MOMENTUM 4 Wireless "M4W". As of this writing, sidetone is not a customizable control for MTW3, but is for M4W. In general, sidetone can be introduced a few ways: the connected device (example: mobile phone) may have this to some degree, but is not controllable and may not extend to Bluetooth devices; some Bluetooth devices offer it, but fewer offer a customizable amount of it; and some applications have it in varying degrees (apps like Zoom, Teams, Slack, WhatsApp, Duo, Meet, etc etc) ranging from automatic and non-adjustable to not at all. When you plug your ears with an earphone (like MTW3, for example) you reduce competition from the outside-world din, and you can hear your own voice's vibrations traveling through your head a lot clearer (similar to plugging your ears and humming), but it is not considered sidetone, though the desired affect is related. As of this writing, the MTW3 itself does not mix your own voice signal back into the earphone for voice communications and if you desired it, would depend on the application to do such. In my own experience with over 15 years of Bluetooth device usage, with the inherent latency of Bluetooth (though this has improved greatly over the years) and the voice signal processing by the phone/pc/tablet, distance from the connected device, additional DSP, variables in internet speed, etc, sidetone can sometimes be more disorienting because an "echo" is a bi-product of differing reception of the sidetone vs real-time voice. As most can relate, there are other times when it is a non-factor and everything works great because all of the technologies seem to be aligned with mercury in retrograde and the magic technology crystals in the janitor's closet are glowing at the ISP server location ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If a sidetone feature is ever introduced on MTW3, we will certainly announce it. Hope that helps clarify!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #217 of 560
just seen the reviews for the momentum 4 and not totally happy about the MTW3 as i have had these nearly 3 months and

1, no sidetone yet the 2s had it and now the momentum 4 has this feature why not these
2, momentum 4 has ANC control we have been wanting this on the 3 for months but still not added.
3. still no multi device support.

not happy that these features have still not been added to be fair but the momentum 4 has most of this.

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #218 of 560
I have been putting them into pairing mode *tap and hold both earpieces at the same time, until voice tells you pairing is engaged* then select MTW3 from the iPad's BT menu (long tap after the swipe). No need to disconnect using the app on the initial device, and this no need to remove the pocketed device. I also do this switching from Galaxy S22 to Mac Mini, as the Mac OS Bluetooth management with "remembered" devices is temperamental.

Regardless, I'll be sure to send along the feedback to the team and if feature updates come along, we'll announce it ASAP.
Hey Eric, thanks a lot for keeping us updated here!

Wonder if this feature will ever come? This is the biggest gripe I have about the MTW3. Its such a shame as I really really like how they sound.
Its really annoying that you need to get both buds out to switch devices (either enter pairing mode or switching via app).
This is especially inconvenient when theres sudden calls to take on a aptop and in the meantime you're connected to your phone.

I'm not sure I'm being spoilt here but most of other buds I had was able to switch devices seamlessly (Galaxy Buds Pro, Buds2, XM3 etc)

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #219 of 560
I recently got the Mtw3 and not really digging them. I find the mid-treble to treble highs to be recessed. It seems to be overly bassy with high mid bass. The vocals sound as if something is covering the speakers. Played around with the EQ, boosting trebles gives a synthetic treble sound on the high end. it reminds me of the IE8 set to max bass nob, without the large soundstage.

I also have the Ie80s and find it far superior. I will give the Mtw3 to my brother and get the Ie300, will stick to wired.

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #220 of 560
I recently got the Mtw3 and not really digging them. I find the mid-treble to treble highs to be recessed. It seems to be overly bassy with high mid bass. The vocals sound as if something is covering the speakers. Played around with the EQ, boosting trebles gives a synthetic treble sound on the high end. it reminds me of the IE8 set to max bass nob, without the large soundstage.

I also have the Ie80s and find it far superior. I will give the Mtw3 to my brother and get the Ie300, will stick to wired.
MTW3 were pretty disappointing for me too, I agree with your thoughts.
Vocals are veiled like you describe and I always had the feeling I was missing something in the music when listening to these, just not enjoying the sound.
Only thing I liked was the ANC which is pretty good.

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #221 of 560
I think it sounds OK for pop, dance and hip hop music. But for Rock and Metal not so much. I guess Sennheiser focused more on popular music genres for the Mtw3.

I also tried the Cambridge Audio Melomania and think they sounded better than the Mtw3. For me they had very bad fit for my ears.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #222 of 560
I have no complaints with my slate of punk, hair metal, and classic rock/metal so far as the sound. Have not used them much this week due to an earwax problem, but I just switched to the SpinFit 1025 for a shallow, smaller fit. If I had to pick a complaint on these, it'd be the slightly odd fit (which is unique to every individual, much like sound, and not nearly as bad as the Technics in my experience) and perhaps ANC mic issues. I notice more quick and sudden pops/blips with these than my other ANC headphones in the past, which seem to be due to sudden external sounds confusing the algorithms.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #223 of 560

I also wasn’t 100% happy with the default tuning, but after a very long time tinkering with the EQ I found a preset that fixes all my gripes about the tuning and makes these the best sounding TWS in my opinion.

The settings are:
Bass: -4dB
Mids: +1dB
Treble: +2dB
Bass Boost Toggle On
Podcast Toggle Off

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #224 of 560
I also wasn’t 100% happy with the default tuning, but after a very long time tinkering with the EQ I found a preset that fixes all my gripes about the tuning and makes these the best sounding TWS in my opinion.

The settings are:
Bass: -4dB
Mids: +1dB
Treble: +2dB
Bass Boost Toggle On
Podcast Toggle Off
Why would you reduce base then boost it ?

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #225 of 560
Why would you reduce base then boost it ?
Because the bass boost toggle adds a lot more subbase and the reduced bass slider takes away some of the upper bass which leads to a much cleaner separated midrange. Just try it out it actually sounds really good.

Minute 4:55 shows the FR with Bass Boost on and no other EQ adjustment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back