Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #136 of 560
Hope they come out with a firmware update soon as these are really buggy.

Just spent 10 min trying to get a seal thinking I just can not get one as I could hear people on the transport then give up and left them in and decided to try the app. turning ANC off and back on again did nothing and seemed no different which I found odd. Tried again off then on and then bang the ANC kicked in. It’s seems these sometimes activate ANC out the box and sometimes they don’t and you have to use the ANC toggle to get it to kick in.

This is random as it does not do it all the time.

Also they sometimes don’t disconnect when putting them away meaning draining the battery as they don’t disconnect. Maybe this has something to do with the ANC not kicking in to

Still enjoying the sound but alot needs fixed and implemented with these

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #137 of 560
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004040010324.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.6a1ff19cNRMteF

It's very basic however, far from perfect...But for the price I can't really complain. Hopefully we'll see more expensive options with Aptx adaptive built in.
Hi, I wonder what issue you got with your dongle because it does say aptx HD and aptx adaptive

I bought this one frome Ali Express
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003990424207.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.7ec51802EEpq8O

The big plus is that it has buttons so you can switch between aptx and aptx HD and aptx adaptive
It can also be used as a receiver or transmitter and has a 3.5 mm stereo plug for sound (in/out)

I works plugged to my android smartphone with a dongle or my windows PC via usb.

All would be fine except i checked it to my windows PC and it is only recognized as 16bits/48kHz bits sound card not a 24/96 one...so i am not sure i am transmitting to my grell audio TWS/1 or B&O EQ in aptx adaptive in its full glory...
But sound seems ok for me...i have not tried the stereo plug yet...

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #138 of 560
I forgot to add, I saw several comments here saying they are connected via APTX-HD to the MTW3...Except The MTW3 have APTX-Adaptive and No APTX-HD support!!!
(APTX-HD support for aptx- adaptive devices is mandatory only on Headphones not True Wireless!!! Believe i found out the hard way)

The only exception being so far to my knowledge, the B&W PI7 earbuds that have both APTX-HD and APTX-Adaptive support

Jun 10, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #139 of 560
Saw a customer review somewhere talk about Bluetooth congestion issues in midtown Manhattan (NYC) so I'm wondering if anyone has experience using MTW3 in busy midtown or a similar busy area (both foot traffic and wireless congestion). I know wireless spectrum is at a premium and interference is bad news for Bluetooth. Last pair of wireless Sennheisers I tried was the Momentum 2 over-ear and I eventually dumped those because BT reception was pretty bad in my commuting area of midtown. My subsequent wireless models (Sony XM3, 4, B&O E8 3.0) have performed much better so I'm a little leery about MTW3 before I seriously consider them.
Well, I bit the bullet a few days ago and outside of some signal issues the first day at one particular corner, these have been stable and sound great. They fit better than I could manage with the AZ60 but it still sometimes feels like the buds are going to fall out, or there's pressure buildup with the tips. But not to the level of discomfort I had on the AZ60s. The fins don't feel very intuitive either, but everything stays put even if it feels like one of the buds is going to fall out.

Currently have some CP360 large on them but will swap the medium pair from my E8 3.0 to see how they fit. Will also pick up Final E TWS and SpinFit 1025. So far, I'm still in cautiously optimistic territory on these, but I'm almost ready to throw out the 'cautious' part.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #140 of 560
I received my TW3 yesterday. I already have the TW1. I tried the ANC with a few videos as background noise, but the results were quite unsatisfactory.
I used white noise

and ocean waves

I expected these were two examples where ANC would be very effective, but it wasn't. Can someone of you test this and/or link a better example. I've installed the latest Firmware, the TWS were charged fully, the rest of my room was silent.

I'm still fumbling with the extensions and tips, the one I used for TWS1 seems to be to small. The nozzle is pointing upwards and the sound clearly inferior to TWS1 for now.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #141 of 560
I received my TW3 yesterday. I already have the TW1. I tried the ANC with a few videos as background noise, but the results were quite unsatisfactory.
I used white noise

and ocean waves

I expected these were two examples where ANC would be very effective, but it wasn't. Can someone of you test this and/or link a better example. I've installed the latest Firmware, the TWS were charged fully, the rest of my room was silent.

I'm still fumbling with the extensions and tips, the one I used for TWS1 seems to be to small. The nozzle is pointing upwards and the sound clearly inferior to TWS1 for now.

Passive noise isolation works best on mid- and high-frequency ranges (the ear plug part of the coupling)

Active noise cancellation (the electronics part) helps with droning low frequency noise: think the rumble of office air conditioning, airplane engine noise/ cabin drone, neighbors with noisy yard equipment, etc.

We should not expect active noise canceling technology to cancel high frequency noises. You would have to defy physics or at least come up with a clever way to trick them. That's why passive isolation is there to reduce the impact of frequencies above the bass region.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 15, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #142 of 560
Hello
I'm using TW3 for last month, before TW2. At first I found TW3 inferior!! to TW2, but after experimenting a bit, i found big difference (for me) in eartips.
TW3's eartips are from a bit different rubber, not sealing so well, at the end - almost no noice cancellation. Currently I use eartips from TW2.
But at the end I'd like to sell old TW2, do you know where to buy good eartips? :)

also I found a bug, in control app, or maybe earphones..:

Apps and firmware are up-to-date as for today - 2.4.22
I did tests inside and outside (also on a bike) - and i can hear clear differences.

I do changes in Smart Control app.

Problem 1:
1. ANC is set to off.
2. I change ANC to anti-wind - it works, anti-wind settings is active (i can hear it).
3. Now I change ANC from anti-wind to ON - button 'on' is marked in the app, but earphones didn't change the mode - it's still in anti-wind

Problem 2 (connected with problem 1):
1. I'm in Anti-Wind mode
2. I select Off
3. I select ON - button is marked ON for a split second, then goes back to 'Anti-wind' for another split second, and finally 'ON' is marked in the app, BUT, earphones are in Anti-wind mode !

If i mark OFF now, and the ON - earphones finally will be in ANC ON mode.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #143 of 560
Hello
I'm using TW3 for last month, before TW2. At first I found TW3 inferior!! to TW2, but after experimenting a bit, i found big difference (for me) in eartips.
TW3's eartips are from a bit different rubber, not sealing so well, at the end - almost no noice cancellation. Currently I use eartips from TW2.
But at the end I'd like to sell old TW2, do you know where to buy good eartips? :)

also I found a bug, in control app, or maybe earphones..:

Apps and firmware are up-to-date as for today - 2.4.22
I did tests inside and outside (also on a bike) - and i can hear clear differences.

I do changes in Smart Control app.

Problem 1:
1. ANC is set to off.
2. I change ANC to anti-wind - it works, anti-wind settings is active (i can hear it).
3. Now I change ANC from anti-wind to ON - button 'on' is marked in the app, but earphones didn't change the mode - it's still in anti-wind

Problem 2 (connected with problem 1):
1. I'm in Anti-Wind mode
2. I select Off
3. I select ON - button is marked ON for a split second, then goes back to 'Anti-wind' for another split second, and finally 'ON' is marked in the app, BUT, earphones are in Anti-wind mode !

If i mark OFF now, and the ON - earphones finally will be in ANC ON mode.
Yep same here, these things are full of bugs. I was hoping for some fixes by now but nothing yet. A lot of bugs with the ANC and not disconnecting from the iPhone when put away plus they pick up way to much air breeze in ANC set to on this needs to be looked at asap as it introduces way to much sounds into the ears. Also missing features like sidetone and higher audio quality and a slider for full on ANC as I don’t like the adaptive at all it changes far to much for my liking.

Looking for new tips myself but the only ones that seem to fit the case and might help are the AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal for TWS but not tried them yet.

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #144 of 560
I forgot to add, I saw several comments here saying they are connected via APTX-HD to the MTW3...Except The MTW3 have APTX-Adaptive and No APTX-HD support!!!
(APTX-HD support for aptx- adaptive devices is mandatory only on Headphones not True Wireless!!! Believe i found out the hard way)

The only exception being so far to my knowledge, the B&W PI7 earbuds that have both APTX-HD and APTX-Adaptive support
I think they do, as if the phone does not support APTX Adaptive it should fall back to APTX HD. I assume that's what and why a lot see HD showing up.
Based on my understanding this is not related to the headphones but the APTX codec.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #145 of 560
I think they do, as if the phone does not support APTX Adaptive it should fall back to APTX HD. I assume that's what and why a lot see HD showing up.
Based on my understanding this is not related to the headphones but the APTX codec.
No they dont have aptx-hd because they are true wireless so i am not sure what the others are seeing (or smoking).
source :
thttps://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive in technical specifications you can read

"
  • Backwards compatible with aptX & aptX HD in stereo headsets
  • Backwards compatible with aptX in earbuds and stereo headsets

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #146 of 560
I don´t like the compatibility of AptX-Adaptive since it is not supported by Samsung and Google phones in contrast to LDAC for example... (which has higher bitrate also)

So a big part of Android users will only get "basic" AptX support :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #147 of 560
I don´t like the compatibility of AptX-Adaptive since it is not supported by Samsung and Google phones in contrast to LDAC for example... (which has higher bitrate also)

I did not know there was no aptx adaptive on
Google phones but there are à few people who have problems with having à stable
connexion with MTW3 in aptx adaptive and their phone resulting in drop of connexion, cracking and noisy signal.
I am not sure if it s Qualcom, Sennheiser or Phone manufacturer's problem

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #148 of 560

I was "worried" about this myself; that word in quotes because the E8 3.0 (aptX) sound just fine to me. I just didn't want to step back to AAC, which has not sounded good to me in prior use. Also because, as you said, my new Samsung phone skips the enhanced aptX codecs. I initially wanted LDAC to take full advantage of my CD rips, but so far I'm happy with the way music sounds on the MTW3.

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #149 of 560
I just got my MTW3’s today. I’m testing with Azla Xelastec and Crystal TWS tips. With the Xelastec tips the sound quality is very balanced with clear deep bass, crisp highs and lots of detail in the middle. The overall clarity with the MTW3 is much better the early Senn MTWs, B&O E8s and MD MW07+ and MW08s.
The Crystal TWS tips fit the best, just lacks a little of the base that shines through with the Xelastec. I did had to trim the inner base of the Xelastec to get a TWS fit, but was simple to do. Thinking about trying the Azla Max tips next.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #150 of 560
I just got my MTW3’s today. I’m testing with Azla Xelastec and Crystal TWS tips. With the Xelastec tips the sound quality is very balanced with clear deep bass, crisp highs and lots of detail in the middle. The overall clarity with the MTW3 is much better the early Senn MTWs, B&O E8s and MD MW07+ and MW08s.
The Crystal TWS tips fit the best, just lacks a little of the base that shines through with the Xelastec. I did had to trim the inner base of the Xelastec to get a TWS fit, but was simple to do. Thinking about trying the Azla Max tips next.
been looking at the Crystal TWS tips what size did you go for as i tend to use the mediums on stock tips. did they fit the case ok as i had to send the normal ones back as they did not fit the charger case? been looking at the max as well but hard to find in the uk.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back