Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,056 of 3,594
Quote:
I discovered the K550 and Mometum at the same time through a friend's recommendation and Best Buy (Magnolia) had them both on display, I was able to hook my iPhone up and play each, the Momentum was damaged as I mentioned before and the K550 had no bass, I noticed within 20 seconds that if I applied a small bit of pressure to the K550's ear cups with my fingers they had glorious bass.  What kind of major design flaw is that? I went to another Magnolia and tried them both again and the Momentums worked there and the K550 suffered from the same issue.  I wanted to like the K550, they appealed much more to me aesthetically and fit wise, but I was not impressed with this MAJOR design flaw....

You are finding the same problem everyone is finding with the K550. It doesn't create a very good seal on a fair amount of heads. If this is an issue for you, they really should be pulled off your list right away. That why they flew off mine.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,057 of 3,594
Quote:
Really? That's interesting. I definitely feel like it's on the slight bright side of neutral.

'Warm' is not the first thing I'm thinking of in the context of the K550. Yes, rather a bit bright, but not in a bad way. And definitely brighter than the Momentum... which I would call quite warm.
Quote:
I discovered the K550 and Mometum at the same time through a friend's recommendation and Best Buy (Magnolia) had them both on display, I was able to hook my iPhone up and play each, the Momentum was damaged as I mentioned before and the K550 had no bass, I noticed within 20 seconds that if I applied a small bit of pressure to the K550's ear cups with my fingers they had glorious bass.  What kind of major design flaw is that? I went to another Magnolia and tried them both again and the Momentums worked there and the K550 suffered from the same issue.  I wanted to like the K550, they appealed much more to me aesthetically and fit wise, but I was not impressed with this MAJOR design flaw....

The K550 does indeed have a nice, deep and clear bass -- if it fits. Bending the headband does fix that for some people who have problems in that regard. Other mods are described in the K550 thread.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,058 of 3,594
Quote:

You are finding the same problem everyone is finding with the K550. It doesn't create a very good seal on a fair amount of heads. If this is an issue for you, they really should be pulled off your list right away. That why they flew off mine.

Of course, that's why I own Momentum! I have smallish ears so they work good for me.  I love people who say they don't have big ears, but how big is their head??  Haha! I got a buddy with a enormous head, his ears look fine on his head but they 'd look like Dumbo's on someone else!

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,059 of 3,594
Quote:

The K550 does indeed have a nice, deep and clear bass -- if it fits. Bending the headband does fix that for some people who have problems in that regard. Other mods are described in the K550 thread.

Yeah, I did some research on here first to see if I heard what I heard correctly and decided I didn't want to try and fix AKG's screw up myself and just bought the properly engineered product.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,060 of 3,594
I was not saying that the K550 was warm, just that the momentums sounded so sharp. Also the mids to one ear was much louder than the other ears so it is definitely defective headphones.
I must have really small ears because momentums fit my ears fine. But i was also able to try the vmoda 100 and it kind of hurt my outside ears. Does that mean my ears stick out a bit, which is why vmoda hurt ear because i heard they were pretty shallow ? 

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2,061 of 3,594
I was not saying that the K550 was warm, just that the momentums sounded so sharp. Also the mids to one ear was much louder than the other ears so it is definitely defective headphones.
I must have really small ears because momentums fit my ears fine. But i was also able to try the vmoda 100 and it kind of hurt my outside ears. Does that mean my ears stick out a bit, which is why vmoda hurt ear because i heard they were pretty shallow ? 

It's possible. Comfort is a very personal thing. My ears are of normal size, but I prefer deep pads so that I don't get any drivers touching my ears.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,062 of 3,594
Very much so: the Momentum does not fit me (ears too big :wink: while the M-100 and the K550 do... So for me its the other way round: the correctly engineered product to me is rather the K550 than the Momentum. But I guess there's one fitting model for about everyone...

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,063 of 3,594
Quote:
Very much so: the Momentum does not fit me (ears too big :wink: while the M-100 and the K550 do... So for me its the other way round: the correctly engineered product to me is rather the K550 than the Momentum. But I guess there's one fitting model for about everyone...

I see your point.  So how are the K550 working out for you? Do you have the bass issue?

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,064 of 3,594
Quote:
I see your point.  So how are the K550 working out for you? Do you have the bass issue?

It's not a bass issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the K550 in terms of sonics. It's purely a fit and seal issue and it affects the entire frequency curve.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,065 of 3,594
Quote:
It's not a bass issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the K550 in terms of sonics. It's purely a fit and seal issue and it affects the entire frequency curve.

Well but i guess he meant the seal issue too because the bass is the first to go when the seal if broken. Though it affects the entire curve, the bass perception is cut the most.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,066 of 3,594
Quote:

I think if I put on two samples of a manufacturers product and they don't have any bass until I push on the earcups it is a bass issue and a engineering failure.  I am 5'8" tall and have a very average sized head, I used to buy a lot of caps (baseball hats) and they would come to me from the factory and fit my head, I think my head is the "industry average" size. It's kind of a Chicken or the Egg kind of thing!

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,067 of 3,594
I would have placed it on the warm side of neutral. 

Momentums are definitely on the "warmer" side of HD215's, however if it comes to precision HD215 do bass many times tighter. Simply HD215 respond very well to equalizer, and Momentums would respond only to bass and treble.

For those who don't know, HD215 were said here on head-fi to be lacking bass, so I bet K550 does more bass.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,068 of 3,594
Quote:
<

Momentums are definitely on the "warmer" side of HD215's, however if it comes to precision HD215 do bass many times tighter. Simply HD215 respond very well to equalizer, and Momentums would respond only to bass and treble.

For those who don't know, HD215 were said here on head-fi to be lacking bass, so I bet K550 does more bass.

I was about to say that the HD215 are completly in different price category than the Momentum, but then I saw this :

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,069 of 3,594
Quote:
In my opinion the hp100 is superior in everything except looks and materials.
It is a different cup of tea though since it has a different sound signature and is more neutral and brighter sounding.

Especially with beyerdynamic DT770 verlour pads the hp100 is very comfortable.
These earpads fit perfectly on the hp100 and feel better than the original pleather pads.
Changing earpads is also something not possible with the momentum.
HP100 is a bargain for its price.

I had the momentum and sold it and I am using the hp100 at the office now.
For home use where isolation is not an issure I'm still using the HD800.

Sennheiser Momentum earpads can be easily changed. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,070 of 3,594
Quote:
Sennheiser Momentum earpads can be easily changed. 

To what? 
I think frix meant that you can't change them to anything else (yet that we know of).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back