Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 19, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #1,952 of 3,594
Quote:
Actually my R1 will be arriving within next week...until then i can not give you a definite answer. However...according to a friend of mine, both has different sound signature. The Momentum is cleaner and more relaxing sound with a delicious low bass, while the R1 is tend to be more to a fun sounding headphones with more emphasize on the mid bass. But that was what my friend told me. The fitting comfort, R1 is well known being the most comfortable headphones for the size and i believe they are more comfortable than the Momentum.

I'm not excited to hear that I'll be losing sub-bass, but I'll let my ears decide.  I ordered them as well so hopefully they'll be here soon.

May 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,956 of 3,594
No you definitely dont want to do that! The 1100's are very bass heavy and very loose. I love Denon and controlled bass. My favorite can is the 7100, which most audiophiles think has too much bass and sub base (even though its controlled), but the 1100's were ridiculous! Since you dont care for a lot of bass that much and dont want an on-ear, I recommend AKG K551 or the shure 440 or 840. Good luck!

May 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,957 of 3,594
Quote:
No you definitely dont want to do that! The 1100's are very bass heavy and very loose. I love Denon and controlled bass. My favorite can is the 7100, which most audiophiles think has too much bass and sub base (even though its controlled), but the 1100's were ridiculous! Since you dont care for a lot of bass that much and dont want an on-ear, I recommend AKG K551 or the shure 440 or 840. Good luck!

Well I have the D600 and enjoy the sub bass.  Too bad they're so loose on my head; it ruins any movement, the seal, and isolation.  The momentum has slightly less bass, but it's tighter and punchy so I think it's perfect.  I tried the AKG 550 and bass was anemic but it was a very flat sounding headphone.  Ugh... the search is exhausting.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting it down to V-Moda M-100 and Sony MDR-1R even though I've heard neither yet.  I'm losing quite a bit of money returning all these phones though.

Edit: I can't keep track of which threads I'm posting on so sorry if I repeat myself. lol

May 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,959 of 3,594
mdr-1r are pretty similar too, but i didn't get a chance to a/b, just auditioned the 1r

shure-840s I own, and they sound NOTHING like the momentums. at all.

May 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,960 of 3,594
The srh840 is crisp and sharp sounding, the momentums are relaxed and laidback sounding.

May 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,961 of 3,594
You made me doubt myself for a minute and I had to check...I guess we disagree on what sharp is because I definitely dont consider the 840 a sharp headphone by any means. For me it was on the warm side of neutral. But I also consider the momentum overly dark and dead.

May 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,962 of 3,594
Quote:
You made me doubt myself for a minute and I had to check...I guess we disagree on what sharp is because I definitely dont consider the 840 a sharp headphone by any means. For me it was on the warm side of neutral. But I also consider the momentum overly dark and dead.

Well i guess sharp is the wrong word to use actually....
More of sparkly i guess?
Also i may have mistaken the SRH840 for the SRH940 which is more sparkly.
Something like the SR325i however i would consider sharp.

We probably have a different preference as i thought the momentums were a little dark but not overly so.

May 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,963 of 3,594
Quote:
mdr-1r are pretty similar too, but i didn't get a chance to a/b, just auditioned the 1r

shure-840s I own, and they sound NOTHING like the momentums. at all.

Agreed. The SRH840 sounds absolutely nothing like the Momentum. The SRH840 a far more neutral headphone and, unlike the Momentum, can actually be used for critical listening. The SRH940 is league above either of them as well.

May 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,964 of 3,594
Agreed. The SRH840 sounds absolutely nothing like the Momentum. The SRH840 a far more neutral headphone and, unlike the Momentum, can actually be used for critical listening. The SRH940 is league above either of them as well.

I can agree with that, but I do find them to be on the warm side and when I think about there arent many closed cans that are warm and not bassy, so I thought it would be a good choice for him.

May 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,965 of 3,594
Quote:

I would say that the SRH940s are amongst the worst headphones I've heard. Simply way too treble tilted and bass that is AWOL. Sorry, can't agree with you here. They are amongst my "most hated" headphones ever. The SRH840s are "nice" closed headphones and quite a step up from the 940s. But they are both leagues below the Momentums. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back