Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,981 of 3,594
Quote:
I just compared headphones that I am interested in.

Frequency Response

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3211&graphID[]=573&scale=30

Looking at frequency response graphs I can say that LCD2 must sound really brilliant, while HD600 would be lacking bass. The Momentum's and HD800 have very similar graph up until 2kHz. I would even say that Momentum's graph is even closer to 0dB flat line, than HD800's which is more of an arc than a flat line. After 2kHz Momentum's go rapidly down with -15dB dip at 4.5kHz, and then climb to -10dB at 10kHz to go down again to -30dB at 20kHz. The HD800 does opposite: there is a hill 7.5dB over 0dB flat line between 5kHz and 10kHz, which must sound little bit disturbing. If you look at LCD2 it has very nice almost linear response from 10Hz up till 1kHz and then it gently goes down, with some hill at 7kHz, but it's still 3dB under 0dB flat line.

Harmonic distortion

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3211&graphID[]=573&scale=30

These look the same for all thee compared headphones.

Impedance

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3211&graphID[]=573&scale=30

Here we can see LCD2's constant impedance regardless of frequency. I assume that makes them easier to drive more accurately.

50Hz Square Wave

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3211&graphID[]=573&scale=30

LCD2's version way more resembles square, while for others it's more trapezoid than square.

500Hz Square Wave

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3211&graphID[]=573&scale=30

On this graph surprisingly Momentum's are closer to LCD2's than HD800, and compared to them the HD600 came vary bad.

Conclusion

Momentum's cost 1/6 of the HD800's price, but it's possible sometimes they'd sound better. The HD600 (at least from graphs) look very disappointing. The LCD2 is something that astonishes me. Their graphs tell me that they are worth their higher price, so I think next step after Momentum is LCD2:)

This entire thing and its conclusion is complete garbage for an almost uncountable amount of reasons, but there are two huge ones that are easy to point out. First, graphs mean absolutely nothing in that they don't tell you how your ears and brain interpret sound which is also highly subjective. Second, and the much larger one, you're making conclusions based on headphones you have not even listened to.

May 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,982 of 3,594
This entire thing and its conclusion is complete garbage for an almost uncountable amount of reasons, but there are two huge ones that are easy to point out. First, graphs mean absolutely nothing in that they don't tell you how your ears and brain interpret sound which is also highly subjective. Second, and the much larger one, you're making conclusions based on headphones you have not even listened to.

Agreed. You really need to listen to them to make conclusions.

May 22, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #1,983 of 3,594
When I have the opportunity I certainly will, but right now I can only speculate which products I'd like. I count on your opinion as you know how they sound. Anyway looking at graphs, and then reading some reviews here, and reading your (stainless824) last reply I would think that LCD2 is something I do want to get after Momentum, while HD600 may not be:)

May 22, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,984 of 3,594
We were at the V&A David Bowie exhibition at the weekend - wife is a big Bowie fan. Sennheiser are involved in it and they provided the sound systems for it. It turns out they've also released a special edition set of the Momentum's which come with the exhibition hardback book and all at the same price of the normal Momentums - oh and they also have orange stitching and the interior of the eearcups is also orange.Only 500 pairs of this edition available. I ordered a set for my wife yesterday from Sennheiser UK. Will hopefully stop her nicking mine now...!

Not sure what other countries will have stock, but UK has them - http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/special_edition_momentum

May 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #1,985 of 3,594
Quote:
When I have the opportunity I certainly will, but right now I can only speculate which products I'd like. I count on your opinion as you know how they sound. Anyway looking at graphs, and then reading some reviews here, and reading your (stainless824) last reply I would think that LCD2 is something I do want to get after Momentum, while HD600 may not be:)

I think the problem is you're speaking very objectively, making extremely large assumptions, and coming to conclusion about a hobby that is quite subjective, need more experience on, and never really concludes. I think you're just really excited about everything and that's a great thing. It's just the translation of that excitement is a little off. I think you're also not going to be able to outline a predictable roadmap of your journey here. You're going to listen to some great (and some not so great) cans and your tastes will refine with time.

Also, If you haven't visited the full-sized recommendations thread yet, I suggest you do as you'll get a little more general feedback vs the Momentum heavy topic of this thread. If you're able to answer the following questions when you get there, you'll get even more refined feedback:
  1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

May 22, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,986 of 3,594
+1 What roguegeek said - and ALWAYS try your very best to audition before you buy (or start making baseless assumptions).

May 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,987 of 3,594
We were at the V&A David Bowie exhibition at the weekend - wife is a big Bowie fan. Sennheiser are involved in it and they provided the sound systems for it. It turns out they've also released a special edition set of the Momentum's which come with the exhibition hardback book and all at the same price of the normal Momentums - oh and they also have orange stitching and the interior of the eearcups is also orange.Only 500 pairs of this edition available. I ordered a set for my wife yesterday from Sennheiser UK. Will hopefully stop her nicking mine now...!

Not sure what other countries will have stock, but UK has them - http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/special_edition_momentum

Well this color combination remind me of the V-Moda M-100 Matte Black :D

May 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,988 of 3,594

Quote:
....so I think next step after Momentum is LCD2:)

That is why i ordered them 
wink_face.gif

May 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,989 of 3,594
I think the problem is you're speaking very objectively, making extremely large assumptions, and coming to conclusion about a hobby that is quite subjective, need more experience on, and never really concludes. I think you're just really excited about everything and that's a great thing. It's just the translation of that excitement is a little off. I think you're also not going to be able to outline a predictable roadmap of your journey here. You're going to listen to some great (and some not so great) cans and your tastes will refine with time.

The thread is about Momentum, and what I am trying to say is that these headphones revealed to me type of signature I do like.
Now I wanted to see if I wanted to upgrade again, what is Momentum pointing at - will that be Audeze or something else.
I'm just curious which of the "big" ones would sound close to Momentum flavor, and which won't.

Since this is Momentum thread, I have more Momentum like question now: did anyone here solve the issue of big pain of ears that is caused by prolonged wearing of these?

May 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,990 of 3,594
Quote:

Now that's what I'm talking about! Gorgeous, thanks for sharing. Black on black beats black on red any day IMHO.
cool.gif

May 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,994 of 3,594
I just had an oh my god moment with these. For my birthday my girlfriend got me an iPod classic. Up to now I've been listening to my momentums with my galaxy s3 and a fiio e17. I loaded up my usual track list up on my iPod and what came out was pure audio gold. Holy crap I can not stress how much fuller/ cleaner/ crisper the sound is coming out of the iPod classic. I have a 2009 classic ( I know the classic has gone through a couple different dac changes). I tried it without the e17 and while the sound is still great, these headphones really do need to be amped. They just sound so amazing with the extra juice out of the amp. I will never go back to using my phone as my main music listening device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back