Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,816 of 3,594
Hi everyone!

I just got these headphones and I love how they sound. I got the black ones because I wasn't crazy about the brown but the red/black contrast between the headphones and the wires are a bit flashy for me. Do you think I'll do any damage or void any warranties if I spray paint the wires or go over them with a sharpie?

Just hope the paint won,t flake, chip or run after you have done that. And no i don't thinkbit should expire your warranty.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,817 of 3,594
Hi everyone!

I just got these headphones and I love how they sound. I got the black ones because I wasn't crazy about the brown but the red/black contrast between the headphones and the wires are a bit flashy for me. Do you think I'll do any damage or void any warranties if I spray paint the wires or go over them with a sharpie?

Although I'm not sure how it would affect the warranty, I'm positive either one of those countermeasures will not be very effective.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,818 of 3,594
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I am not totally sure whether the Momentum and its accessories are up on the Sennheiser spare parts site, but I have the brown Momentum and its cable is just black/silver. Perhaps if the red cable bothers you enough, you could just buy the replacement cable for the brown one (and just keep the red one as a spare)?

I am not an artistic sort, so I won't advise whether or not you should colour them. I'd be wary of ruining the cable, but whatever works, I say... you might end up with a unique looking pair.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,820 of 3,594
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Maybe don't use something permanent?

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,821 of 3,594
Could someone clarify something for me? The original review says that the Momentums have a bass emphasis. However, looking at InnerFidelity's measurements, it seems that the response up to ~1000hz is basically flat, much like the Beyerdynamic DT1350s (which are considered fairly neutral). On the other hand, the M-80s, which are cited in the review as a reference headphones, do not look even at all. What's up with that?

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,822 of 3,594
Quote:
Could someone clarify something for me? The original review says that the Momentums have a bass emphasis. However, looking at InnerFidelity's measurements, it seems that the response up to ~1000hz is basically flat, much like the Beyerdynamic DT1350 (which is considered fairly neutral). Why is this the case?

Frequency response graphs tell you only a small portion of the story, if anything at all. They shouldn't be taken too seriously. The Momentum definitely has some colored lows and that's not a bad thing at all considering their use.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,825 of 3,594
Higher compared to the highs, which are clearly rolled off.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,826 of 3,594
Quote:
But surely if something is emphasized, i.e. louder, the frequency charts will tell you that? That's precisely what they're measuring, isn't it? What am I missing here?

welcome to the world of audiophiles :)

where your own listening experience & opinion is valued over any other sort of data. where charts/measurements are only legit when they agree with your opinion. if you are looking for some sort of objective non-listener-influenced spec-type comparison, you won't find it here.

my comments aren't meant to be offensive, but that is really how things work around here. personal listening tests are considered the golden standard.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,827 of 3,594
Quote:
welcome to the world of audiophiles :)

where your own listening experience & opinion is valued over any other sort of data. where charts/measurements are only legit when they agree with your opinion. if you are looking for some sort of objective non-listener-influenced spec-type comparison, you won't find it here.

my comments aren't meant to be offensive, but that is really how things work around here. personal listening tests are considered the golden standard.

When you can standardized the shape and density of peoples ears as well as EQ grey matter, come back to me. Otherwise, measurements are useful for weeding out wide ranges of sound signatures  but it's still better to listen to the darn things to see if you like them when it comes to the final decisions.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,828 of 3,594
Quote:
When you can standardized the shape and density of peoples ears as well as EQ grey matter, come back to me. Otherwise, measurements are useful, but it's still better to listen to the darn things to see if you like them.

lol. no need to get upset at me for sayin it as i see it. sure, get what you like. personal preference for the win.

okay, there are slight variations in the size/shape of the outer ear, which is responsible for directing the sound waves into the ear canal. but once the sound waves hit your tympanic membrane, everyone's ears work the same. everyone has three ear bones. ear bones vibrate & sends signals through nerves & the brain processes/interprets it. sure, your brain may subjectively prefer one 'sound signature' over another, but that does not exclude the possibility of having specific sound signatures measured and characterized in an objective, accurate way. 

even if you personally hear/perceive sound wave X 'differently' than me, sound wave X = sound wave X for you. sound wave X = sound wave X for me. sound wave X = sound wave X on the graph via any recording device. whether you like it or not is a different matter. it does not seem like a ridiculous idea that it is possible to accurately measure and describe sound through standardized graphs that accurately reflect what people will hear.

just think about it though. almost every other product industry is very reliant on actual specs to differentiate products (cars, tvs, cameras, phones, computers). you can apply your argument to eyes too, but there is definitely not this kind of conflicting/dissenting opinions or lack of some sort of objective performance measurement system about screens or TVs or cameras.

totally off-topic discussion and i am not trying to get into an argument. i just think that getting accurate, objective performance-based measurements non-reliant on a specific listener can be helpful to the headphones industry, and that kind of information can be a lot more helpful to a consumer than the personal ear test of a random person on the internet.

but of course, listening for yourself is the best. that's why I am saying that for head-fi-ers & audiophiles, a personal ear test is the golden standard. all other data = whatevs.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,829 of 3,594
Quote:
just think about it though. almost every other product industry is very reliant on actual specs to differentiate products (cars, tvs, cameras, phones, computers). you can apply your argument to eyes too, but there is definitely not this kind of conflicting/dissenting opinions or lack of some sort of objective performance measurement system about screens or TVs or cameras.

You should visit the car, bike, phone, video, etc forum equivalents of head-fi. The specs vs subjective testing is alive and thrashing everywhere there are enthusiasts.
[/off topic]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back