Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,831 of 3,594
they look a lot better in this review then in person.  I tried some today and they didnt do much for me.  Though i didnt test them from a phone, which im sure they will kill my 160ohm fischers...  

i found them uncomfortable and kinda flimsy, i much prefer the sony MDR-1R in style, sound, comfort for portable use

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,832 of 3,594
Quote:

okay, there are slight variations in the size/shape of the outer ear, which is responsible for directing the sound waves into the ear canal. but once the sound waves hit your tympanic membrane, everyone's ears work the same.

And the sound waves will be different, depending on the fit/seal on the individual ears, which are all different. So if the fit is not the same for everyone, neither is the sound.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,833 of 3,594
I've owned and enjoyed these for several months now.  Tried to go back to the control cable as I like to use it with my touch, but again went right back to the standard straight cable.  The control cable definitely bloats the bass and bleeds into the mids.  Listen to some stand-up bass like Charlie Haden or Brian Bromberg and it becomes very apparent.  Something to consider during auditions.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,834 of 3,594
off-topic responses =P
Quote:
You should visit the car, bike, phone, video, etc forum equivalents of head-fi. The specs vs subjective testing is alive and thrashing everywhere there are enthusiasts.
[/off topic]

sure, nothing wrong with being passionate about certain things & debating preferences. but there is a difference between user preference vs the intrinsic specs of a product. you can subjectively prefer one thing over another due to XYZ intrinsic specs of the product that others can relate to or just b/c you personally like it better. (ex: liking a car based on certain specs such as horsepower/torque/other performance metrics vs. liking a car because you like the way it feels/drives). both are perfectly acceptable opinions.

However, "liking the way it feels/drives" is a personal preference, just like preferring vanilla over chocolate is a personal preference. To transform your preference into something that others without that specific preference will find interesting to talk about, you have to explore what intrinsic factors cause you to feel this way (ex: weight/handling/whatever) and test it in a scientific, reproducible way to see if it's accurate.

from my experience, headphone discussions often become more focused on the personal preference aspect rather than the intrinsic properties of the headphones. that's totally chill, but sometimes, people seem to get carried away with their personal preferences. i feel like the fact that headphones do not have any sort of really reliable listener-independent, performance-based specs to fall back on makes it impossible to resolve a lot of discussions. I prefer X because I hear A & you prefer Y because you hear B... cool beans, but that seems like different personal preferences.

Quote:
And the sound waves will be different, depending on the fit/seal on the individual ears, which are all different. So if the fit is not the same for everyone, neither is the sound.

mmm... false. the sound waves (the oscillation of pressure) will be the same. wavelength, frequency, and velocity is constant through the same medium. my basic physics is fuzzy, so if I'm wrong, please correct me.

you know the sound waves don't change, because even if your headphones don't fit properly, a D note still sounds like a D note (still has the same frequency). if you are in a concert hall, acoustically-tuned room, or small room, the D note is still going to be a D note. =P lol

what you are talking about with fit/seal relates primarily to sound reflection and noise isolation/leakage, which can change your perception of the sound. sound waves would be the same though.

finally, regardless of the slight physical variations of your external ear, all sound waves that you hear is directed in the same way for you. that factor is not a variable because it is held constant for you.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,835 of 3,594
Have you seen the graphs for the D7000? They look very linear, but anyone who has heard them will tell you how massive the sub bass is. The bass to mid and treble ratio sound more like how the TH900's graphs look. Not its own graphs.

You can't trust graphs alone.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,837 of 3,594
Here's what I'm referring to. Note, the TH-900 is supposed to have LESS sub bass than the D7000.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

The graphs say otherwise. The graphs make it seem like the D7000 has bass slightly above the neutral line (not even taking the obvious sub bass roll off in it's graph), whereas the TH900's bass is clearly above the mids and treble on the graphs.

If you've heard the D7000, you'd know the sub bass is quite pronounced over the mids and treble, like how the TH900's graphs look.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/denon-ah-d7000.php

Look at headroom's D7000 graph (older D7000). That is CLEARLY not representing how it actually sounded like in the sub bass, which looks severely rolled off there. They are anything but rolled off in actual use.

Note: I've owned both pre-2012 and 2012 D7000.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,838 of 3,594
Black Momentums ordered, couldnt resist when they where 20% off. Need to start selling some of my other headphones soon... 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,839 of 3,594
Quote:
Have you seen the graphs for the D7000? They look very linear, but anyone who has heard them will tell you how massive the sub bass is. The bass to mid and treble ratio sound more like how the TH900's graphs look. Not its own graphs.

You can't trust graphs alone.

I think the information you're looking for can be found on the waterfall of the FR response and the 30Hz square wave plots. 
size]

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,842 of 3,594
If brown was my color, I'd just buy a refurb off adgtron (Senn authorized refurb dealer aka Dahmart) for just over $200.

I would prefer the black/red though.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,845 of 3,594
A little disappointed by the noise isolation, coming from a HD25. Probably because of the harder clamping force of the HD25. How I wished I could have the sound of the Momentums with the good isolation from the HD25. Oh well. Anyone has tips on how to improve the isolation? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back