Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,442 of 3,594
Well, to be fair you didn't specify if you wanted pics of the inside or the outside of the cups. I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate from that pic that the inside diameter of the Amperior cups will be significantly smaller than that of the Momentum, which is barely circumaural if you have smallish ears.  The Amperior is strictly supraaural unless you've been involved in some kind of strange tractor accident.
wink.gif

EDIT: To be fair you DID ask for measurements of the inside of the cups, so it's also easy to extrapolate that you wanted pics of the same. My apologies for being a smart *****.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,444 of 3,594
I just bought one and I like it but the ear cup is a little too small for my ear to rest well in that space. If you think you want a very comfortable one you better rethink it again.

So my question is, is it possible for me to find a bigger/better ear cup replacement for MOMENTUM?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,445 of 3,594
Quote:
so last night i left my Momentums in the car for like 5 hours . it was like 30 degrees Farenheit. when i went back i opend the case and the headphones cold. The earpads were like frozen stiff. I put them on and in like 10 min the earpads went back to normal. I'm wondering if cold weather will damage these. Or will it be fine.

my xb500 pads get stiff whenever it's really cold outside and I use them but they just go back to normal when I go inside so there's no issue with mine at least. I don't see what the problem would be. The pressure on the pads when in use seem like a much bigger issue and yet not really a problem.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,446 of 3,594
Quote:
I just bought one and I like it but the ear cup is a little too small for my ear to rest well in that space. If you think you want a very comfortable one you better rethink it again.

So my question is, is it possible for me to find a bigger/better ear cup replacement for MOMENTUM?

Right now, no - there is no larger ear-pad replacement for the Momentum.
A lot of us don't need to re-think it, because we have small ears (like myself), and find the Momentum supremely comfortable. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,447 of 3,594
Coming out with slightly bigger user-replaceable ear pads would be smart on the part of Sennheiser IMO. I'm sure there have been plenty of people who have either passed on these or returned them because of comfort and lack-of-seal issues.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,448 of 3,594
There seems to be a parallel universe when it comes to headphone wearers.  Those with small ears and those with big ears.  Interpretation as so what is comfortable depends what camp you fall in.  An over-ear headphone if too small for a big eared listener...will suffer pain because the ear pad invariably ends up resting someplace on the ear...or ear lobe.  I have big ears and reducing head band tension to the point of the headphones falling off, isn't an elegant solution either

In the venerable Sennheiser family, there seems to be a variance relative to what heaphones fit a given listener  based upon model.
For example...HD 598 and HD555 has subtley smaller ear cups than the HD600 and HD650.  Apparently the Momentum is sized closer to the HD 598.

If one has big ears like I do, perhaps best to opt for slightly more pricey HD 600 or HD 650 models.  Casually comparing say the HD 600 to Momentum, its clear the ear cup shells are bigger on the HD 600.
Here is a link comparing the head cup size of the HD 600 to HD 598...apparent in the pictures as well.  Kind of defies understanding why Sennheiser would do this..but they do.  Of course big earred potential owners are in the minority compared to average ear and small ear sizes....so maybe demographics are in their favor and therefore caveat emptor if you are in the elephant family. :wink:.

[size=medium]http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/[/size]

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,449 of 3,594
Quote:
There seems to be a parallel universe when it comes to headphone wearers.  Those with small ears and those with big ears.  Interpretation as so what is comfortable depends what camp you fall in.  An over-ear headphone if too small for a big eared listener...will suffer pain because the ear pad invariably ends up resting someplace on the ear...or ear lobe.  I have big ears and reducing head band tension to the point of the headphones falling off, isn't an elegant solution either

In the venerable Sennheiser family, there seems to be a variance relative to what heaphones fit a given listener  based upon model.
For example...HD 598 and HD555 has subtley smaller ear cups than the HD600 and HD650.  Apparently the Momentum is sized closer to the HD 598.

If one has big ears like I do, perhaps best to opt for slightly more pricey HD 600 or HD 650 models.  Casually comparing say the HD 600 to Momentum, its clear the ear cup shells are bigger on the HD 600.
Here is a link comparing the head cup size of the HD 600 to HD 598...apparent in the pictures as well.  Kind of defies understanding why Sennheiser would do this..but they do.  Of course big earred potential owners are in the minority compared to average ear and small ear sizes....so maybe demographics are in their favor and therefore caveat emptor if you are in the elephant family. :wink:.

[size=medium]http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/[/size]

the HD598 has deeper earcups than the HD600. the earpad inner diameter is about the same however.
and the momentum is sized no where near the HD598. i would in fact say its about the same size as a HD202 earcup

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,450 of 3,594
IMO, one of the flaw design in earcup for MOMENTUM is as show in the pic below:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5197/900x900pxllee9d563bdsc0.jpg

The line between the Cloth and Deer-Skin(IIRC) is staying way too outside and that line end up touching your ears. The worse part is, that line is not soft and it is rather hard and it will hurt your ears after wearing it for a long period of time.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,453 of 3,594
Quote:
the HD598 has deeper earcups than the HD600. the earpad inner diameter is about the same however.
and the momentum is sized no where near the HD598. i would in fact say its about the same size as a HD202 earcup

I would like to believe you...but the article I linked shows the considerable cup size difference between HD598 and HD600/650.  Further the reviewer
refutes what you write.  To my eye, the HD598 has clearly smaller ear openings compared to the HD600/650. 
You will make me a believer if you post pictures of each headhphone with a major/minor diameter axis comparison.  Otherwise I will side with the reviewer.

Its pretty well known one of the reasons the HD600/650 is so popular aside from sound signature is the copious amount of room inside the ear cups for big ears. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,455 of 3,594
Quote:
I would like to believe you...but the article I linked shows the considerable cup size difference between HD598 and HD600/650.  Further the reviewer
refutes what you write.  To my eye, the HD598 has clearly smaller ear openings compared to the HD600/650. 
You will make me a believer if you post pictures of each headhphone with a major/minor diameter axis comparison.  Otherwise I will side with the reviewer.

Its pretty well known one of the reasons the HD600/650 is so popular aside from sound signature is the copious amount of room inside the ear cups for big ears. 

i have used both the HD650 and the HD558 (different model but same dimentions) and both the earcups are very big. the Momentum has much smaller earcups like the HD202.
i would get back to you when i get the chance to head over to the audio shop this friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back