Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Feb 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,412 of 3,594
Finally got to hear them today and I am mightily impressed! They sounded better than either the DT1350s and HD25-II. Heck, I'm even tempted to pick up a pair. Super comfortable (even with glasses, something the DT1350s were pretty poor with), great light construction and they sounded really, really good!

They are now my favourite portable (non-IEM) headphone. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,413 of 3,594
way-to-go.gif

Quote:
Finally got to hear them today and I am mightily impressed! They sounded better than either the DT1350s and HD25-II. Heck, I'm even tempted to pick up a pair. Super comfortable (even with glasses, something the DT1350s were pretty poor with), great light construction and they sounded really, really good!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 16, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,414 of 3,594
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,415 of 3,594
Quote:

+1
deadhorse.gif
size]

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,417 of 3,594
Quote:
I just sold my Momentum, keeping the DT1350 (which already survived several others) and the HD25...
Must be that horses/courses thing :wink:

Are the DT1350 on ear? Why'd you sell your momentums? I sold My HD25 to pay for my momentums.

The HD25 sound great but the Momentums have a bigger fuller sound. On ear headphones get really uncomfortable after a while. I will say nothing delivers bass like on ear headphones do. It's really punchy and tight.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,418 of 3,594
So today I was prepared to pick up the Momentums. Headed over to the Apple Store and got to A-B them with the UE9000s. The Sennheisers are great headphones no doubt. I really enjoyed them. But that said, the earcups were still on the smallish size for me. And with my glasses it can be a problem for long term comfort. As well, I was looking for a more "all-in one" portable headphone for on the go or around the house. Suffice it to say, I picked up the UE9000s instead.

Both are great headphones, but the UE9000s offer noise cancelling for when I'm flying, wireless functionality, and SQ wise I gave them an edge over the Momentums (in passive mode that is).

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,419 of 3,594
Quote:
So today I was prepared to pick up the Momentums. Headed over to the Apple Store and got to A-B them with the UE9000s. The Sennheisers are great headphones no doubt. I really enjoyed them. But that said, the earcups were still on the smallish size for me. And with my glasses it can be a problem for long term comfort. As well, I was looking for a more "all-in one" portable headphone for on the go or around the house. Suffice it to say, I picked up the UE9000s instead.

Both are great headphones, but the UE9000s offer noise cancelling for when I'm flying, wireless functionality, and SQ wise I gave them an edge over the Momentums (in passive mode that is).

Until we get some Bluetooth 4.0 headsets I'm not sold on the idea of my music over bluetooth. I've got a phone full of FLAC files and it would be a total waste. On top of that there is always a present hiss in the background when you put electronics in the ear cups. Not to mention those are 500+ headset.

PS how do they compare to the Senn MM 550-X

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,420 of 3,594
Quote:
Until we get some Bluetooth 4.0 headsets I'm not sold on the idea of my music over bluetooth. I've got a phone full of FLAC files and it would be a total waste. On top of that there is always a present hiss in the background when you put electronics in the ear cups. Not to mention those are 500+ headset.

PS how do they compare to the Senn MM 550-X

FWIW, I can't really hear much of a difference via bluetooth vs. wireless. Its that good. Tyll's review mentioned the same thing here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

I'd recommend you give them a try. 

To get us back on track, the Momentums bested the DT1350s (my previous favourite portable headphones). 
size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,421 of 3,594
I currently listen to mine hooked up directly to my 2012 Macbook Air. I primarily stream music from Rdio which I believe uses 192kbps LAME encoded mp3s (I was not able to tell a difference between this and MOG's 320kbps mp3s). 

While the Air outputs enough power to drive the headphones way beyond tolerable listening volumes, I'm wondering if getting an amp/dac, such as an E17, would be a good investment for improving sound quality, or if the difference would be negligible. If an amp/dac is worthwhile, I would prefer it to be portable (for bringing to and from work) and cost under $150.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,422 of 3,594
Quote:
I currently listen to mine hooked up directly to my 2012 Macbook Air. I primarily stream music from Rdio which I believe uses 192kbps LAME encoded mp3s (I was not able to tell a difference between this and MOG's 320kbps mp3s). 

While the Air outputs enough power to drive the headphones way beyond tolerable listening volumes, I'm wondering if getting an amp/dac, such as an E17, would be a good investment for improving sound quality, or if the difference would be negligible. If an amp/dac is worthwhile, I would prefer it to be portable (for bringing to and from work) and cost under $150.

Audioquest Dragonfly. I've owned one and it really takes the momentums to a different level. Really opens them up and improves the imaging/instrument separation. I had one, but recently traded it in the for sale forums, but I'm really thinking of buying it again because of the portability/sound quality. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,423 of 3,594
Quote:
Audioquest Dragonfly. I've owned one and it really takes the momentums to a different level. Really opens them up and improves the imaging/instrument separation. I had one, but recently traded it in the for sale forums, but I'm really thinking of buying it again because of the portability/sound quality. 

It looks like those run for about $250. I'm looking for something around $150 or less.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #1,425 of 3,594
Quote:
Are the DT1350 on ear? Why'd you sell your momentums? I sold My HD25 to pay for my momentums.

The HD25 sound great but the Momentums have a bigger fuller sound. On ear headphones get really uncomfortable after a while. I will say nothing delivers bass like on ear headphones do. It's really punchy and tight.

Yes, the DT1350 is on-ear. And initially not very comfortable, though to my experience it does get better with usage.

I found the Momentums bass a bit too loose and emphasized for my taste, I prefer the tight but really bottomless presentation of the DT1350. Also treble on the Momentum was to polite in my opinion, overall giving a warmer sound signature than I'm looking for.

Keeping my HD25 for DJing though, still the best headphone for that: clear sound and a very robust construction... Nice, punchy bass but unfortunately it emphasizes the upper bass a bit too much for me. On the other hand I don't need subbass for beat matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back