Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jan 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,261 of 3,594
Great thread, subscribed. These seem to be a fantastic all-around portable solution... was considering Ultrasone Ed8's but just can't see myself spending $800-1000 for headphones with mixed reviews and 3 years old. Some reviewers I trust have even said they like the sound of these Senns better. 

The fact that they reportedly sound great with the Audioquest Dragonfly only furthers my confidence...

I guess I'll just wait for the new BLACK version to come out later this month... I like the black/red styling considerably better. From the early pics from CES, I think the newest version is one of the coolest looking headphone models I've ever seen. 

If anyone hears of a date for the Momentum Black, or knows who will carry them first, definitely post here to this thread! Thx. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,262 of 3,594
Quote:
2. You have to put the ear cups back to their highest position and re-adjust whenever you take them out of the case. It's not too much of a problem right now, but I wonder if it will cause the cups' grip on the band to loosen over time.

No you don't!

I go from the bottom and slide up 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,264 of 3,594
The more I listen to the Momentum, the more I'm enjoying it! It is amazingly good for how and so easy to drive.

I'm still worried a little bit about pushing the cups up and down the frame every time I want to put it in its case, mostly because I don't want to wear out parts. Does anyone know how the cups are attached to the frame? The round caps don't unscrew off do they? Do they snap on? I'm chicken to find out, but if we knew how they're attached, it'd be easier to know whether there are any replaceable parts?

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,265 of 3,594
After spending a couple of weeks with the Momentums, I'm returning them.  These cans sound too rich for my liking, which could be a result of how they sit on my ears (feels like my ears are stuffed in there a little tight, but they do fit around them).  My ears are average size (55cm if memory serves).  I played around with various headband positions (slightly tilted forward, slightly tilted back) and clamping pressures, and found only minor variations in frequency response.  More clamp = better isolation and bass, but more (perceived) rolloff in the treble.

Compared to my open can setup (HD650-->Zu Mobius MKII-->Dacmini PX), they sounded a tad congested and forward in presentation.  Still highly enjoyable and musical mind you.  For fun, I ran the Momentums through the Dacmini and also the ALO Audio Rx MKII.  Didn't hear any variance in frequency response compared driving with an iPhone or iPad (which Tyll suspected in his review).

Compared to my closed can setup (iPad-->Logitech UE9000), Momentums sounded more neutral (UE's are a tad dark in active circuit mode) but still forward in presentation.  I prefer my UE's for around the house listening because they are wireless noise cancelers.  Less hassle for chores or for vacating the recliner to grab a beer.  And the active circuit does a decent job of removing fridge noise from the nearby kitchen.  Momentum bass is ever-so-slightly emphasized, while the UE9000's active circuit mode is unabashedly bass faced.  But I like being bass faced around the house.  :)  Compared to UE9000 in passive mode, Momentum had better mids but less sparkle.

Like others in this thread, I felt the right pad was not always sealing as well as the left.  But noise isolation is good.

Overall these were highly enjoyable.  But my ears fit a little too snugly inside the pads.  I'm thinking that caused them to sound a little too meaty and rich.  Regardless, I'm excited that sealed cans are making so much progress.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,267 of 3,594
You are right you have to slide the cup up or they don't fit.

I got both these and the amperior for Xmas, and I'm enjoying them both, for long periods I choose the amps due to less ear sweating, but the sound they both pump out is lovely,

I also have the new sony mdr 1rbt and these sound on par with the momentums, maybe bass is slightly deeper and the whole range to my ear anyway sounds more perfect on the sony.

But I do like how most sonys sound,

But hats off to sennheiser brilliant set of cans you won't go wrong with them

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,268 of 3,594
Quote:

Am I missing something?  They only fit in the case a certain way.

I don't keep them in the case, but loose in my bag. They seem pretty durable.

However now I have a larger bag I may move to the top-down darkside. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #1,269 of 3,594
Quote:
A couple of points of clarification. I think these should be called semi-over-ear, you would have to have very, very small ears for these to fit full over your ears. But don't let that scare you, they are perfectly comfortable and sound fine sitting partially on your ears. The clamp quite tight but you want that so they seal nicely.

Secondly, I am someone that doesn't like overly bassy gear, I am a ER-4S/SA5000 guy for those that remember those and I don't think these are as dark sounding as what most seem to be saying. They are warm and have quite good base detail but they also have great mid range and treble detail. I also think that for a closed portable they have impressive separation, which means the top end is not swamped by the bottom as it is in headphones I would call dark.

What does "proprietary lock" mean in relation to the cable? I would have thought the format would make it very easy to make upgrades. Has anyone heard of any for these yet?

+1
The UE6000 is a really dark sounding headphone with even more bass emphasize. I really like the Momentums treble. You can listen to any kind of music with these.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,270 of 3,594
Quote:
Great thread, subscribed. These seem to be a fantastic all-around portable solution... was considering Ultrasone Ed8's but just can't see myself spending $800-1000 for headphones with mixed reviews and 3 years old. Some reviewers I trust have even said they like the sound of these Senns better. 

The fact that they reportedly sound great with the Audioquest Dragonfly only furthers my confidence...

I guess I'll just wait for the new BLACK version to come out later this month... I like the black/red styling considerably better. From the early pics from CES, I think the newest version is one of the coolest looking headphone models I've ever seen. 

If anyone hears of a date for the Momentum Black, or knows who will carry them first, definitely post here to this thread! Thx. 

Momentum is not in the same league as the ED8, nor should it be based on the price difference.  I prefer the M-100, PSB M4U1/M4U2 and Sony MDR-1R to Momentum.  Ultrasone's Signature line is also a viable alternative to the ED8 with smoother highs at slightly lower cost.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,271 of 3,594
Hello Headfiers, I just acquired these Sennheiser Momentum headphones, and aside for being blown away by the sound quality these headphones provide, I do have a question, or rather, a problem with the inline mic. I have a Xperia S Android device, and although I know the inline controls won't work with any Android device, the mic should work, right? 

I don't really care about the controls, as I'm very used to unlocking the phone and skipping tracks, turning the volume up and down and that stuff, but the lack of mic makes me feel like I'm missing a feature. Other hands free devices do work just fine (the one provided with the phone works as it should).

Can anyone enlighten me with an answer? Does the mic work or not with Android devices?

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,274 of 3,594
Hello Headfiers, I just acquired these Sennheiser Momentum headphones, and aside for being blown away by the sound quality these headphones provide, I do have a question, or rather, a problem with the inline mic. I have a Xperia S Android device, and although I know the inline controls won't work with any Android device, the mic should work, right? 

I don't really care about the controls, as I'm very used to unlocking the phone and skipping tracks, turning the volume up and down and that stuff, but the lack of mic makes me feel like I'm missing a feature. Other hands free devices do work just fine (the one provided with the phone works as it should).

Can anyone enlighten me with an answer? Does the mic work or not with Android devices?

Works on my S2, but the problem with Android devices is that because manufacturers make their own alterations, peripherals don't necessarily work the same way on 2 different devices.

The inline remote also works for me (at least the centre button does) - tap once to pause, twice to skip track. You can install Jay's Headset Control app and get the inline remote to do basically anything with one button if you so desire.

Also just curious - I get that it's a big advantage that the cable is removable - I'm less worried about it than I am with other headphones. However, is it a standard cable or is it proprietary? I've generally not seen 2.5mm-3.5mm cables around but maybe I'm just new to this. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,275 of 3,594
i still not able to purchase these.
Too many bills, tuition, books to pay off first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back