Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #1,096 of 3,594
I apologize if this a the wrong place, but I need some quick advice when it comes to an external sound card for my laptop (a Schenker Notebooks XMG P702 in case it's technical details matter) so that I can use my Momentums for my movies and games. Currently my laptop's output sound is far inferior to that of my iPod, for example.

I am no audiophile, but I appreciate high quality sound. At the same time Im a student, so the upper limit for the sound card is $200 USD.

I have come across the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=622999#info), have read some reviews praising it and found it in a Norwegian store (which gives it a 5 year warranty by law). However, I know there are the more delicate details of the electrical components (specifically the resistance (Ohms) of the headset etc.). Seeing as there should be some Sennheiser Momentum experts in here, will the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD do the trick of providing high quality sound from my laptop for music, movies and games?

Thank you for the assistance, and I apologize again if this is the wrong place to make this question!

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #1,097 of 3,594
Why don't you get a cheap USB dac/headphone amp?
I think the new schiit one will be $200 together, and I'm sure there are other options as well.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,099 of 3,594
For around the 300$ price range are the momentums the best for use with iPod. I want good sound quality and I want controls for play/pause and volume. I currently have beats studios and am selling them

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,100 of 3,594
Quote:
For around the 300$ price range are the momentums the best for use with iPod. I want good sound quality and I want controls for play/pause and volume. I currently have beats studios and am selling them

I think it's between the Momentum and the Amperior. If you want more laid back sound (with better bass) - the Momentum. If you want more aggressive sound (a bit V shaped FR)- the Amperior.

I haven't heard any better, easier to drive, over/on ear headphones for the price.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,101 of 3,594
Quote:

I think it's between the Momentum and the Amperior. If you want more laid back sound (with better bass) - the Momentum. If you want more aggressive sound (a bit V shaped FR)- the Amperior.

I haven't heard any better, easier to drive, over/on ear headphones for the price.

I compared the Amperior and Momentum side by side and IMO the Momentum is the better headphone. The Amperiors, by comparison, came off sounding a bit sibilant and nasal. Simply a brighter, less natural sound.

BUT the Amperior is intended as a pro/DJ headphone and the Momentum as a portable listening headphone. So it's not really a fair comparison. But as they are the same price, I would take the Momentum any day, for any application outside of Dj'ing.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,103 of 3,594
Quote:
BUT the Amperior is intended as a pro/DJ headphone and the Momentum as a portable listening headphone. So it's not really a fair comparison. But as they are the same price, I would take the Momentum any day, for any application outside of Dj'ing.

The amperior was intended to be a pro headphone but its FR really speak otherwise...

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,104 of 3,594
Just got my pair. I'm really satisfied with them, however the cable with inline controls really does lower the SQ by A LOT... Quite disappointing since I use an iPhone4 but the alternative cable (no inline control) sounds great ;D Don't regret my purchase at all. Got them for 299$.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,105 of 3,594
Just got my pair. I'm really satisfied with them, however the cable with inline controls really does lower the SQ by A LOT... Quite disappointing since I use an iPhone4 but the alternative cable (no inline control) sounds great ;D Don't regret my purchase at all. Got them for 299$.

I've been hearing that a lot on this forum. I'll check on that once I get back home.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,107 of 3,594
Well this is how Sennheiser describe the Amperiors

Quote:
Take Sennheiser’s passion for quality and legendary sound experience to the streets with the redefined Amperior headphones with aluminium ear cups. Based on the renowned DJ headphones HD 25, these closed-back, supraaural dynamic headphones deliver not only a balanced audio reproduction, but also, warm mids and deep powerful bass. Equipped with neodymium ferrous magnet systems and lightweight aluminium voice coils, they are capable of handling very high sound pressure levels.

Designed with extremely robust yet stylish construction, these headphones are lightweight, comfortable and feature a rotatable ear capsule for one-ear listening. In addition, these headphones also perform exceptionally well in high-noise environments and offers high attenuation of background noise. To top it all off, it comes included with a removable smart remote with in-line microphone unit for ease of use and to add a touch of class to any trendy outfit expression. The Amperior headphones are an indispensable accoutrement to suit all urban styles.

IMO, the Amperiors are a fun pair of headphones that bring a smile to my face whenever I use them, they're standing up to regular abuse in travelling and I keep mine beside my bed for listening late in the evening. The Momentums also have their place in my listening and they're used mainly in my office ans sometimes commute. both are superb headphones with different sound signatures.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,108 of 3,594
Quote:
The Amperior was not intended to be a pro headphone.  Where did everyone get that idea?

Quote from Sennheiser website:

The trusted sound and reliability professionals rely upon day in and out... remixed. Introducing the Amperior series from Sennheiser.

[...]

Razor-accurate percussion instigates head-bobbing. Soaring mids and trebles get you closer to the original studio mix. Full-bodied bass lines are effortlessly lifted out of the mud and placed deep within your conscious. This is what it was like to be there when the song was finished. This is what it is like to be Sennheiser.

URL: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dj-headphones-amperior-505574  (under its description tab)

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,109 of 3,594
Quote:
I've been hearing that a lot on this forum. I'll check on that once I get back home.

What experiences can anyone report on using a copper cable with the Amperior e.g. HD600/650/250/25sp cable. I use HD250 cable on my HD25-1s (prefer sound to HD650 cable or stock steel).

Best

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back