Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,051 of 3,594
Quote:
Very common issue on some of the bike forums I'm involved with, one chap has an issue with an alternator or something and it appears as if its a widespread fault. That's not to say it shouldn't be posted - just kept in perspective.

Exactly that.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #1,052 of 3,594
Quote:

No, the other way round: ADD was talking about the cable without remote (and without robotic elbow @imackler).

Regarding 'vocal': I'd say it never came across as if ADD wanted to imply the faulty cable is widespread. A suggestion to check the cable if you don't like the sound at all is not a bad thing... of course there might be more instances of this problem floating around.

Right, so it's just a case of a faulty cable being blown out of proportion. 

It was difficult to pick this point out of all the 'flowery' language being used. I'm not saying it's bad to use the full extent of the English language or demonstrate the ability to communicate eloquently, but the main points sometimes get lost in the maelstrom of creative expression and sheer quantity of words. This is another common problem in some forums. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #1,053 of 3,594
Owners who can fit ears inside Momentum ear cups, can you please post your ears dimensions.
I was always under impression that I have by no means huge ears (don't mind the avatar
blink.gif
),
65mm top to bottom including detached earlobe and my ears don't fit, I mean it's not even close to get in, seems like it's plain supraaural design with just slightly bigger than average supraaural pads.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,054 of 3,594
I know that it is preferable to burn-in headphones when you first get them. I also read in the manual that when the headphones are plugged in the drivers should not be within 10 cm of each other because of their continuous magnetic fields. Would this be a good way/place to put them, or is it stretching the headphone too much?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,055 of 3,594
Which one do you guys prefer for rock, metal, etc.

Sennheiser Momentum
Ultrasone HFI-780
Shure SRH 840

I want a clear, punchy bass. Good Treble, Mids, Highs, and Lows.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642924/best-headphone-300-budget-not-grados#post_8991483

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,057 of 3,594
Which one do you guys prefer for rock, metal, etc.
Sennheiser Momentum
Ultrasone HFI-780
Shure SRH 840
I want a clear, punchy bass. Good Treble, Mids, Highs, and Lows.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642924/best-headphone-300-budget-not-grados#post_8991483

For punchy bass, I very much like the Amperiors.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,058 of 3,594
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion or comparison on these vs mad dogs? I need a closed set for office use.

I own both and have used both for office use.

The Mad Dogs absolutely need a good amp to sound their best. I had used both an ALO continental and a Fostex HP-P1. they needed the power. The MD at their best is better than the Momentum's best. They have a larger soundstage, better imaging and a bit more balanced FR (there's still very strong bass but a bit less low mids/ upper bass presence compared to the Senns. bit more neutral but still dark overall compared to, say, HD 25). 

But the Momentums sound similar either amped or straight out of an ipod/iphone, so the convenience factor to drive them straight from a DAP and skip the amp is quite high. and with the built in volume/playback control in the cable, they offer another level of convenience not reached by the MD.

If you want the best possible sound and can afford a powerful amp to get there, get the Mad Dogs (you may just like them enough to keep them as your main headphones). But if convenience (fewer parts in the rig, inline controls) is important, then get the Momentums. The difference in sound is mainly one of soundstage size and a bit better balanced bass/mids response. I've kept the MD for home use but use the Momentums at work.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,059 of 3,594
Hey guys, I need your help.

I don't know if I should choose Momentum's or SRH840/940's, I need them for Rock (mainly) I listen to everything.

Are these good for rock, and if they are, are they better than the 840's/940's.

These would not be amped, the 840's/940's will be amped by the PA2V2.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,060 of 3,594
I own both and have used both for office use.

The Mad Dogs absolutely need a good amp to sound their best. I had used both an ALO continental and a Fostex HP-P1. they needed the power. The MD at their best is better than the Momentum's best. They have a larger soundstage, better imaging and a bit more balanced FR (there's still very strong bass but a bit less low mids/ upper bass presence compared to the Senns. bit more neutral but still dark overall compared to, say, HD 25). 

But the Momentums sound similar either amped or straight out of an ipod/iphone, so the convenience factor to drive them straight from a DAP and skip the amp is quite high. and with the built in volume/playback control in the cable, they offer another level of convenience not reached by the MD.

If you want the best possible sound and can afford a powerful amp to get there, get the Mad Dogs (you may just like them enough to keep them as your main headphones). But if convenience (fewer parts in the rig, inline controls) is important, then get the Momentums. The difference in sound is mainly one of soundstage size and a bit better balanced bass/mids response. I've kept the MD for home use but use the Momentums at work.

Thanks for the great response! Do you think an objective2 is a good enough amp for the mad dogs? Any other sub $200 recommendation? I'd really like to go with them.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,061 of 3,594
Quote:
Thanks for the great response! Do you think an objective2 is a good enough amp for the mad dogs? Any other sub $200 recommendation? I'd really like to go with them.

I haven't tried an O2 so I can't really say. in terms of power specs, it should have enough.

you may want to consider the new Schiit Magni amp. it's 99 bucks, has more power than the O2 (might be useful for the hard to drive orthos) but also has a cleaner front face and rear RCA connections. ButI haven't tried this one either (I really haven't tried many cheap portable amps at all but others in the MD thread have) but early impressions are good and Schiit stuff is always built solid. But if you need battery power and transportability that the O2 provides, then never mind.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,062 of 3,594
Quote:
I know that it is preferable to burn-in headphones when you first get them. I also read in the manual that when the headphones are plugged in the drivers should not be within 10 cm of each other because of their continuous magnetic fields. Would this be a good way/place to put them, or is it stretching the headphone too much?

Great.  Now something else I have to be paranoid about.  I just plugged mine in and burned them in for about 15 hours (in 2-3 hour chunks) while not wearing them; they don't seem worse for the wear!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,063 of 3,594
Hi,

Just bought a Momentum last week.
Thinking of getting an O2 to drive my new toy.
However not many info around possibly due to the low impedance of Momentum.

Can someone please describe if Momentum benefit at all with an amp, especially with O2?
If yes, is the improvement worth the money? Assuming portability not so important for this case.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back