Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 24, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #1,037 of 3,594
Quote:

No, the problem is that some of us have heard Momentums like they aren't supposed to sound like for some reason, whatever that's down to a loose cable connectivity or what I don't know. I listened to the HD598 at the same place and it sounded very fun and engaging in comparision (lack of bass emphasis doesn't mean it sounds boring if the midrange detail and soundstage and airiness is very impressive especially with the demo classical track they had available). Everything sound quality wise, like midrange detail, resolution in the highs, soundstage etc sounded infidetily better on HD598 than the Momentum I demoed in a shop.

And do note I'm a basshead that uses M-Audio Q40 + digiZoid ZO on a daily basis but I still enjoyed HD598 very much but hated Momentums... so SOMETHING with that sample wasn't right.

I had to buy my Momentums without audition, as the only place I could demo them is 800 km away (and they are not returnable). The first time I heard them, I can truthfully say they sounded about the same as the earbuds included with my Samsung Galaxy (i.e horrendous). It was so bad, I was almost wanting to return them on the basis that they were not of merchandible quality. This was the impression in the first minute two of listening. Had I done this in a shop prior to purchase, I would have put them down, never to pick them up again and would have bought something else. And if anyone had asked me about them, I would have said it was the worst headphone Sennheiser had ever produced and a $10 pair from the supermarket would be much better.

It wasn't till I tried Dolby Headphone that I realised there was a problem with them. Instead of the sound coming from 15 feet in front of me it was still lifeless and stuck in the middle of my head. It was at that point I swapped the cable - at which point the headphone sound 99.99% better and conmensurate with other very good mid-tier headphones, and about as satisfying as my previous HD580. Or, to draw a car analogy, it was like getting out of a Toyota Corolla and into a BMW M3. That was when I tested the cable and found all the strange measurements that I alluded to before.

Anyway, the easiest way to audition these and tell immediately if you are getting the intended sound or not is to listen to a track pre-encoded with Dolby Headphone. If the cable is the problem then the sound will remain stuck in the middle of your brain.

It really would be a pity if people dismiss these because there is a fault, however it is also likely a case that different types of headphones have different appeal. For me, I want a completely non-fatiguing listening experience and I want the same sort of balance that I would get at a symphonic concert in the middle of the hall. The Momentum does it for me, as do the HD580 and HD600 models. The HD650 doesn't because I find the low end too overwhelming, the mids too soft and the top end too reticent. Whilst the Momentum may have a colouration and deviation from neutrality, I don't care because I only own about two recordings in my entire collection that are reasonably neutral to begin with. The rest of them have engineering damage to a greater or lessor degree. I can't do anything about the damage done to a recording before I recieve it, but I can do something to partially mitigate that damage after I receive it. If I had a neutral pair of headphones I would tire pretty quickly of over 90% of my record collection.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,039 of 3,594
Just look for my previous posts in this thread for more info. My cable issue was with the standard one (3 pole). I am not suggesting the problem is widespread - only that anyone who dislikes the Momentum should double check the cable first. It is still very likely some (or many) people just wont like the headphone as it is. It would not be the first Sennheiser headphone to polarise opinion on the sonics. Just look at the HD650 and HD800 for example.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,040 of 3,594
Just to clarify what I think is being said here:
The cable with the fruit-phone remote control sounds rubbish, and the standard cable without the remote sounds good... (?)

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #1,042 of 3,594
The cable with the fruit-phone remote control sounds rubbish, and the standard cable without the remote sounds good... (?)

I don't know, my "fruit-phone remote control" cable sounds awesome. I'm no audiophile though.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,043 of 3,594
My inline remote cable sounds fine.

Come on guys, a little bit of perspective and common sense - chances are you won't get a broken cable, even if there is one very vocal poster here who keeps going on and on and on about his broken cable...

The exception is just that - an exception.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,044 of 3,594
Umm...no need to write as if I have left the building. Obiously you really need to learn some manners and respect. Thanks for the personal attack - duly noted. Before I post anythng else here, I will clear it with your Lordship first, if that is OK with you. I will also no longer offer opinions, answer queries, or clarify things with others, as I don't want to offend you or anyone else any further.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,045 of 3,594
Quote:
Umm...no need to write as if I have left the building. Obiously you really need to learn some manners and respect. Thanks for the personal attack - duly noted. Before I post anythng else here, I will clear it with your Lordship first, if that is OK with you. I will also no longer offer opinions, answer queries, or clarify things with others, as I don't want to offend you or anyone else any further.

I don't think he meant it that way.

I would suspect that faulty cable only affect less than 0.1% of all the Momentums out there.

However, quite a handful of posts recently (all coming from one user) were talking about faulty cables. In terms of posts ratio alone, there was an over-representation of posts regarding faulty cables, making it seems as if the faulty cable was prevalent among the Momentums out there (I guess this is what he meant by a 'vocal poster').

So, if one did not take notice that only one user was experiencing this unfortunate event, one could be led to believe that faulty cables are affecting many Momentums out there and could possibly provide an explanation for the Momentums to not sound as good as what some others here had claimed.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,047 of 3,594
Quote:

I don't think he meant it that way.

I would suspect that faulty cable only affect less than 0.1% of all the Momentums out there.

However, quite a handful of posts recently (all coming from one user) were talking about faulty cables. In terms of posts ratio alone, there was an over-representation of posts regarding faulty cables, making it seems as if the faulty cable was prevalent among the Momentums out there (I guess this is what he meant by a 'vocal poster').

So, if one did not take notice that only one user was experiencing this unfortunate event, one could be led to believe that faulty cables are affecting many Momentums out there and could possibly provide an explanation for the Momentums to not sound as good as what some others here had claimed.

Are you suggesting that he not mention what he is experiencing?  If readers cannot be held responsible for their own level of reading comprehension, then we all may as well quit effective immediately.  While it may be less common, he may have a defective cable.  He posted about about it.  People posted follow-up comments/questions.  He answered and commented further.  Am I missing something about what a forum is?  Adhoc's comment was rude, and he deserved to be called out on it.  

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,048 of 3,594
Quote:
Are you suggesting that he not mention what he is experiencing?

I never suggest it that way. I am just stating that could be a reason why some readers mistook it as a big thing, especially those who were just skipping through this thread. It is a remark to the phenomenon rather than a normative statement.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,050 of 3,594
Quote:

No, the other way round: ADD was talking about the cable without remote (and without robotic elbow @imackler).

Regarding 'vocal': I'd say it never came across as if ADD wanted to imply the faulty cable is widespread. A suggestion to check the cable if you don't like the sound at all is not a bad thing... of course there might be more instances of this problem floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back