Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #961 of 3,594
Ears Never stop growing. Same as the nose, I believe.

"Around age 18, ears and noses stop growing and there is no new cellular development, says Joseph O'Brien, M.D., orthopedic surgeon at George Washington University Hospital in Washington.

That doesn't mean the size of people's ears and noses doesn't continue to increase as they age, O'Brien says. These facial features increase in length because the cartilage and skin lose elasticity, causing them to appear droopy. And gravity pulls those loose fibers downward, adding to the saggy appearance, says Robert Kotler, M.D., a cosmetic surgeon in Beverly Hills, Calif."

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #962 of 3,594
"Around age 18, ears and noses stop growing and there is no new cellular development, says Joseph O'Brien, M.D., orthopedic surgeon at George Washington University Hospital in Washington.
That doesn't mean the size of people's ears and noses doesn't continue to increase as they age, O'Brien says. These facial features increase in length because the cartilage and skin lose elasticity, causing them to appear droopy. And gravity pulls those loose fibers downward, adding to the saggy appearance, says Robert Kotler, M.D., a cosmetic surgeon in Beverly Hills, Calif."
That could definitely explain it.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #964 of 3,594
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Momentum and hook it up with the Samsung Note II phablet. Has anyone tried this combination?

I've also got a HA INFO DAC headphone and using foobar2000 to play FLAC files to an old Sennheiser headphone + mic. I don't think any one has tried to pair the HA INFO with the Momentum yet.

Steve

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #965 of 3,594
Quote:
I got a Fiio E17 to pair with my momentums and maybe it's just my ears, but I'm not noticing a huge noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm thinking about returning the E17 or maybe just selling it here. Anyone else try the momentums with E17, or any other amp/DAC that they feel made a noticeable difference?
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

The Pico Amp/DAC and Leckerton UHA6SMKII (with OPA627) sounds great with the Momentum. It adds that warmth and body to the vocals (if  you are into vocals/jazz).

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #966 of 3,594
My wife got the Momentum for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. The Momentum are hand/ear pick by her among the rest of the headphone. This speak the quality sound of the Momentum.

Now toying with the idea of better cable,. Did anyone try the oyaide cable for the Momentum. I felt the cable with remote are bulky and the replacement cable does look cheap.

Regards Wayne

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #967 of 3,594
Quote:
My wife got the Momentum corny birthday a couple of weeks ago. The Momentum are hand/ear pick by her among the rest of the headphone. This speak the quality sound of the Momentum.
Now toying with the idea of better cable,. Did anyone try the oyaide cable for the Momentum. I felt the cable with remote are bulky and the replacement cable does look cheap.
Regards Wayne

I'm pretty sure Oyaide don't make a cable for the Momentum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #970 of 3,594
Hey guys, long time reader, 1st time poster here. I bought Momentum couple of days ago and well, I can't say I regret it but I do have some minor problems with them
I'm having problems in some songs at parts when there's alot going on at the same time, for example when many instruments join in at some point while before it sounded clear, and then it gets kinda muddy.
I can't really explain it better, I'll try to make some notes to give you exact songs it's happening at. Quality of source varies from ALAC to streaming from Grooveshark.
I'm running them either from my iPhone 4S or from my notebook. Has anyone experienced similar things happening and do you think cable fault could be causing it?

Also I occasionally hear some crackling noise, does that mean they're sensitive to bad source quality?

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #971 of 3,594
Do u hv a LOD out of iPhone..or a dac out of your lappy?
:cool:

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #972 of 3,594
Neither. Wouldn't lod require amp anyway? The whole point of buying these headphones was the ability to run them straight from my phone without sacrifing much quality. Also isn't iP 4s supposed to be one of the best 'audiophile' smartphones?

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #973 of 3,594
I got a Fiio E17 to pair with my momentums and maybe it's just my ears, but I'm not noticing a huge noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm thinking about returning the E17 or maybe just selling it here. Anyone else try the momentums with E17, or any other amp/DAC that they feel made a noticeable difference?
Thanks guys :)

I paired my Momentum with a E11(EQ1), not impressed at all. The bass and soundstage are slightly better, but the mids and high were not improved at all. There is no reason to sacrifice wonderful remote control to that tiny little improvement. I also ordered a JDS C421. I'll receive it tommorrow or Monday. I hope the good reputation of JDSLAB could do the job ...

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #975 of 3,594
Quote:

This is the only thing putting me off buying the Momentum. As a classical only headphone listener, classical really does need the bass and mid characteristics of the Momentum in my experience and to my ears - most classical recordings are inherently bass light compared to popular or jazz, unless the mics are deliberately placed in such a way as to emphasise the lower instruments (which then brings it's own set of problems). Only a few companies like Telarc and Reference Recordings have ever achieved both a perfectly realistic soundstange and bass response comparable to the real, live performance. For the rest, EQ is needed with headphones unless they are already bass heavy to begin with. That is my experience anyway.

So for me, the Momentum probably would have been ideal, but the thought of them fitting me Ok and then not fitting me as I get older does not appeal. Noone knows how long their ears are going to end up. So the question to me is how does a semi-supra-aural fitting compare sonically to someone whose ears fit wholly within the earcups. And how comfortable are they if used in a semi-supra-aural configuration? It's hard to think they would be worse than the Amperior, but then again I suppose anything is possible when it comes to fit, comfort and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back