Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #707 of 3,594
They are definitely plastic not aluminium.

These are very built headphones, HD25's are indestructible despite being plastic and these are more solid still. Headband can get bent out of shape ....under pressure that would break other headbands, but you can get it back into shape since it's metal.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #708 of 3,594

And you know this... how? Have you disassembled the headphone? So far the response from Sennheiser is that they're aluminum. We're currently waiting for more information.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #709 of 3,594
Quote:
These are very built headphones, HD25's are indestructible despite being plastic and these are more solid still. Headband can get bent out of shape ....under pressure that would break other headbands, but you can get it back into shape since it's metal.

Please supply us with evidence if you can. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #710 of 3,594
Great to know that they are aluminium. Im still torn between this and the m100s. I love the looks of this but i like good bass as well. How does the momentums sound with amps ? Does amps help give the momentum PRAT ?? I have the fiio e11, do you think that would give enough bass boost n PRAT for pop n hip hop and then enjoying the rest of the different types of music with the bass boost switched off ? Anyhow does the iphone remote work with any android phone at least to just answer and pause ?

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #711 of 3,594
LOL evidence? I own the headphones, the cups are made from plastic.

Or is this some new form of aluminium that feels and sounds like plastic and doesn't get cold like normal aluminium.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #713 of 3,594
Quote:
LOL evidence? I own the headphones, the cups are made from plastic.
Or is this some new form of aluminium that feels and sounds like plastic and doesn't get cold like normal aluminium.

Unfortunately this isn't a laughing matter.
Have you opened up the headphones and examined the entire cup inside? I also own it, and I also believe it to be plastic, but I would like to be proven wrong - it's just when Amazon and Sennheiser both say it's a "metal ear cup" you have to think twice, because they can't just lie about the materials as that is a massive breach of trading standards. 
Imagine a climbing carabiner being sold as 'aluminium', but in fact it's made of plastic? 
I doubt it's something anyone could take them to court over, but it's easily grounds for a full refund no matter how long the item was owned or the returning condition. If it is plastic, Sennheiser are liars, and they'll lose customer trust.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #714 of 3,594
It would be quite an embarrassment if Sennheiser provides false and misleading information about their products.

I personally think they could be aluminium ear cups with a thick coating giving the impression they are plastic.

I think another confirmation from Sennheiser is sorely needed here to end the confusion about the earcups once and for all.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #715 of 3,594
I've just scraped away at part of one cup and have yet to hit any metal, I'm not going further as I need to return these. If there was any aluminium it's thickly coated with plastic which makes you wonder why they'd use it as it's only a selling point and desirable when the metal is exposed.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #718 of 3,594
I've just scraped away at part of one cup and have yet to hit any metal, I'm not going further as I need to return these. If there was any aluminium it's thickly coated with plastic which makes you wonder why they'd use it as it's only a selling point and desirable when the metal is exposed.

Well exactly, I really can't see Sennheiser lying about this, there's no point. That isn't to say that someone hasn't made a mistake in the detailing of specs. Deliberately misleading people, I doubt it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #719 of 3,594
Quote:
Anyone tried flying with their momentums? Is the isolation and comfort enough for a long flight?

I did the proper acid-test with my Momentums - McDonalds @ Notting Hill Gate at lunchtime on a Saturday. They passed :)

And just to fan the flames of the people saying they are bass-heavy, boomy, etc. They're not. Not at all - at least not for a closed can. I think that some folk have been listening to brand new units and not allowing them any run-in time. It does make a difference and allows them to really sing - perhaps over 10 hrs or so of use.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #720 of 3,594
I'm also surprised by the few comments here and there about boomy bass. I've had headphones with boomy bass - D5000, GS1000 - and the Momentum are not boomy or loose. bass is solid, textured and extends well.

The treble and upper mids are shelved a good deal but, even then, they're clear and quick with good separation around instruments for a small, closed can. I wonder if the weird not-quite-around-ear-possibly-on-ear design is causing people to put them on with the drivers too close to the ear or directed at the back of the ear, possibly causing a more exaggerated bass.I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back