Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Oct 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #496 of 3,594
Quote:

I really wish you wouldn't have said that. There is this guy in Brooklyn who is selling a pair but I really can't find the time to get my butt down there. If they really are that amazing then I guess I have to make a sacrifice. I know headdirect offers a 30 day money back plan but I don't want to have to deal with shipping them back if I end up not liking them. Then there are these v moda that everyone is going on about. Radio shack should have a pair when they officially launch correct? Maybe I should just pick one and call it quits. This is just to hard of a choice. 

Just know that you may be missing out on the absolute most enjoyable and high-quality bass response outside of a few out-of-reach exceptions (LCD2/3s, well-driven HE6s, and a few dynamics/stats maybe), and achievable straight out of your E17. Mids and treble are also tuned to be a balance between realistic/neutral and fun, with the ortho magic that is exceptional instrument separation and effortless resolving power.

If you buy any 2nd-hand HE400s though, make sure they are not rev3, as it is a recalled revision that has an acoustic flaw.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #498 of 3,594
I'll be getting my Momentum today in these couple of hours. I'll uptade you guys on my first impressions. Oh, and if you guys have any suggestion on what song/track I should play first on the cans fresh out of the box, please say so, I kind of have this thing where I sit and think for about 10-15 minutes about what song I will use to take the newly bought headphones' virginity. I'm a true romantic, what can I say...? :D Also if you know any good web site or something where I can download good quality songs? I've got only mp3 on my pc and galaxy s3, I'd like to try out some aac files or some other format to level up the sweetness of the sound a bit maybe? :)

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #499 of 3,594
go to any torrent site and type in either .flac or .alac, I got some lossless adele, white stripes, and even some clint mansell. Lux aeterna any one? On a side note with the HD650 I swear I could hear people move in their seats and shift around their instruments on the lossless Full Orchestral Remix. On the MP3 version of my tracks I hear how crappy the conversion is.

the song that sold me on the momentums is j cole - nobody's perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGrcWkf20k
it starts off with a nice melody and a few verses, then it has the most awesome drop and that bass is just amazing. it doesn't stop there because there is another bass line that comes in a little later. Absolutly amazing. Get a lossless version and do it to it.

Anything with timbaland in it is also good. If rock is more your thing then check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqB1L_e-JM

The youtube versions don't do these songs justice so do yourself a favor and seek them out.

OK jerg that's it. The sennheisers are going back today and the hifimans will be ordered when that money clears. Although those things do look rather large.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #500 of 3,594
go to any torrent site and type in either .flac or .alac, I got some lossless adele, white stripes, and even some clint mansell. Lux aeterna any one? On a side note with the HD650 I swear I could hear people move in their seats and shift around their instruments on the lossless Full Orchestral Remix. On the MP3 version of my tracks I hear how crappy the conversion is.

the song that sold me on the momentums is j cole - nobody's perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGrcWkf20k
it starts off with a nice melody and a few verses, then it has the most awesome drop and that bass is just amazing. it doesn't stop there because there is another bass line that comes in a little later. Absolutly amazing. Get a lossless version and do it to it.

Anything with timbaland in it is also good. If rock is more your thing then check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqB1L_e-JM

The youtube versions don't do these songs justice so do yourself a favor and seek them out.

OK jerg that's it. The sennheisers are going back today and the hifimans will be ordered when that money clears. Although those things do look rather large.

Thanks a lot. If I got it strait, .flac is lossless? I got some "Average White Band" .flac files, and they do sound better than the mp3 versions. I totaly forgot about torrent haha. Thats what I'll use for downloading good quality songs from now on.
By the way, hearing chairs shifting sounds AWESOME. Good for you. Can't wait to put these cans on my head hihi :D

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #502 of 3,594
Quote:
I'm no audiophile either. I'm using 320kbs on my samsung s3. FLAC files for some reason make the phone play the music really slow. This Christmas I'd like to move to an iPod classic playing ALAC. I do have an iPad and notice songs sound better but only slightly. I will tell you this, I first tried them unamped (i think i posted my thoughts earlier in this thread) but today was the first time I tried them amped and they blew me away. I also noticed a vast improvement with my HD 25-1 ii. 

I think the reason for it is in the EQ. It's not that it's louder but I can make changes in the EQ and really notice those changes with the extra juice. 

I really wish you wouldn't have said that. There is this guy in Brooklyn who is selling a pair but I really can't find the time to get my butt down there. If they really are that amazing then I guess I have to make a sacrifice. I know headdirect offers a 30 day money back plan but I don't want to have to deal with shipping them back if I end up not liking them. Then there are these v moda that everyone is going on about. Radio shack should have a pair when they officially launch correct? Maybe I should just pick one and call it quits. This is just to hard of a choice. 

Were you referring to the V-Moda when you said they would be available at RadioShack on launch?  Hadn't heard that.  What kind of headphone selection do they have?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #504 of 3,594
I was debating whether to get the D25 Amperior or the Momentum. They are two totally different cans sonically.

The Amperior sounds up front, providing energetic, clear, punchy feel, tight bass, and have great isolation from exterior noise. It is very easy to drive as as they have lower impedence than the previous D25-ii. Negative is that it's somewhat uncomfortable for long wearing. It's tight on your head to provide isolation for DJ use.

The Momentum, on first listen (with iPhone4 lossless tracks), it's dark, slow-ish, and boomy bass. I didn't actually like it. Then I switched to some jazz and classical, then it works much better. Jazz and classical sounds very relaxing on these cans. The Momentum gives jazz and blues a slowness with sounds marvelous. I then played some faster music, like Maroon5 and other pop/alternatives. I found them not very well matched.  I'll probably place its sound between a pair of HD650s and HD700s, if you've heard them before. It got that similar veil like those HD650s without break-in, but the sound is clean like the HD700s.

The Sennheiser sales guy suggested that it might needs some breaking-in. I pondered a while at the store because the Amperior and the Momentum are very similarly priced. I finally decided on the Momentum for it's comfort and was afraid that the Amperior will give me ear fatigue, both physically and sonically, on long sessions. So I took the Momentum home and had it ran trough my iTunes list, it's been about 75hrs now and I found them to be much much improved. Not just with jazz and classical music, it plays pop/alternatives just fine. The mids are more transparent and the bass are much more detailed.

I'd recommend the Momentum (after break-in) for people who are looking into these headphones.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #505 of 3,594
Quote:
So I took the Momentum home and had it ran trough my iTunes list, it's been about 75hrs now and I found them to be much much improved. Not just with jazz and classical music, it plays pop/alternatives just fine. The mids are more transparent and the bass are much more detailed.

I'd recommend the Momentum (after break-in) for people who are looking into these headphones.

I noticed the sound improving over use as well.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #506 of 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by hh83917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Jazz and classical sounds very relaxing on these cans.  The momentum gives jazz and blues a slowness with sounds marvelous... Not just with jazz and classical music, it plays pop/alternatives just fine. The mids are more transparent and the bass are much more detailed.

Thanks for the impressions!  I've been on the fence about these, what with all the "lifestyle" headphones coming out these days, but you may have just convinced me to pick these up.  Might just try and hunt these down this weekend.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #507 of 3,594
Heeeey guys! Last night I was enjoying my momentum for the first time. Jazzy songs sound REALLY good on these cans. I listened to a lot of funk, some jazz-hop, acid-jazz and they all sounded marvellous. Faster songs like metal, rock, and fast pasted hip-hop sound good, but you can feel that its just not as good as with the jazzy songs. Although I do think they will get better over time. Even after a couple of hours I could start hearing some sounds on some songs I couldnt before. Without an amp they sound good, but I feel that they can deliver more, like it has more horse power than its currently delivering. Gotta try them out with an amp. The sound on these is a tad slow, but still rich and full and fun. When it comes to bass well... it wasn't exactly BASSY. That word was used so much that I expected more of an impact. The bass is very nice, but I wouldnt call the cans bassy. It had a little bit of rumble to it, but it didnt deliver the same quality bass on all songs I played. Some songs the bass is SPOT ON and "sexy" - I guess... on others ot feels a bit slow and a tad muffled. You CAN listen to every kind of music and it will sound good, but it just does a better job with somw typws of music than it does on others thats all. If they were a person they'de be like Barry White or something haha. But if you like funky-jazzy songs, oh man these are for you. And the comfort.... DAMN. My ears felt like they where in sugar coated cloud pockets the first time I wore them. I couldnt feel much clamping at all. And they were smaller than what I expected them to be, but not flimsy for their size.

All in all I think they do the job they were meant to do very well. Anyone who buys them for on-the-go purposes will be satisfied I think.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #508 of 3,594
Just got mine through today and very impressed with the quality and I've only tried them with my iPhone without an amp so far. Made a few calls using the in line mic and all is good! Love the case too and teh fact that I don't need to remove the cable to put them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back