Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #212 of 3,594
Great review!

I really like the looks of them, materials and what i've read about SQ.
I am considering them for office use with fiio E17 + they would have added bonus of portability for holidays. Currently have ie80 but really need over an ear headphone for office. I always had iem's, never on-ear. What differences can I expect in SQ? Is sound stage much more narrow?

Thank you!

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #219 of 3,594
Quote:
They look a little small to be circumaural. Does the ear touch inside the cup anywhere? I hate that.

Actually they are more on-ear in my case (though I'd not considered my ears big), but extremely  comfortable due to the soft pads and low pressure. I gut used to on-ear but still cannot stand too small cirumaurals touching my ears... the Momentum is not of this kind however.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #220 of 3,594
Quote:
How does Momentum's sonic signature compare with that of Ultrasone Edition 8?

I am curious as well in an Ed8 comparison, for many reasons, sonic and otherwise.  The Ed8's are my all time favorite closed cans and are my go-to headphones for travel and even portable use.  While some shy away from using the Ed8's in the wild due to their expensive nature, I have always found them to be perfect for that application due to their relatively small size, excellent isolation, and comfort.  For me, the Ed8's are snug yet circumaural.  I know others complain that they are too small to be considered a true circumaural design.  I would love to see a size comparison between the Momentums and the Ed8's to see if the Momentums are roughly the same size.  If so, the Momentums will be the perfect size for me.

While the Ed8's must be amped to live up to their full potential, it sounds like the Momentums are impedence matched and tuned to be driven straight from your DAP of choice, giving a full bodied sound signature without amping.  While I do not expect the Momentums to measure up to the Ed8's sonically, they may be a great on-the-go substitute for those times when I don't have the time or patience to screw around with making sure my amp is charged, finding that elusive LOD, untangling the extra wires, etc.  If the Momentums match the Ed8's in terms of comfort and isolation, and present a pleasing, albeit slightly colored, unamped sound from my iPhone, I will be very tempted to pull the trigger.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #221 of 3,594
Quote:
How r they compared to HD 650??

Do not have an HD650, but due to that fact that they are a completely different type of headphone I wouldn't expect them to sound similar.  HD650's are an open back headphone and will have a much more neutral sound.  The Momentum is a closed headphone with some slightly aggressive tuning in the low end.  Other than the badge, they should be quite different.  It should also be noted that Sennheiser was likely not trying to design these as a relative of the HD650.  

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #224 of 3,594
I really love this recent push towards classically-stylish, leather-clad, sleek headphones.  An unexpected result of Beats fandom, "club them with style."  Beats will still dominate with it's core market of course, but put a set of headphones like these next to them and Beats looks like a juvenile kids toy, which is pretty representative of their sound.  I hope this higher standard in style and materials keeps catching on.

I wish carrying cases were an option rather than default include though.  If it's not something you're going to use, you shouldn't have to pay for it.  Then they'd waste less and could charge more for those who want one.  Debatable I guess.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #225 of 3,594
Quote:
These sound pretty slick.
I'm somewhat new to the world of hi-end headphones, and I'm still using my first investment, a pair of Bose QC15's.
How might the MOMENTUM's compare to the QC15's?

You decide, I think the Bose QC15 is the best active noise cancelling headphone, and I love the comfort, man IT IS COMFORTABLE. However, the sound quality is unacceptable for the price (period), is not bad don´t get me wrong. but, with $300 I could buy another amazing headphone. 

I don´t own the Momentum, but I have read pretty good reviews. 

It all depends on what are you using your headphones. If you travel a lot on airplane, or live in a noisy environment. Bose is for you. If not, you have better alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back