Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #197 of 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryUprising /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In terms of sound quality, they are also very different beasts.  The HD598s are much more forward and the sound stage is much bigger in both width and depth.  While the Momentum is more intimate.  Both share the standard Sennheiser mids, but they are less apparent in the Momentums due to the more aggressive bass (but when you EQ the bass down, the mids are very there).  Pace and layering is about the same (but then I don't really use my 598s much for music after I got my HD650/LCD2, so I'll have to double check this).

Would I recommend them for a new audiophile? Yes, it's a great place to start, albet a bit higher price point then most new comers may be comfortable with.
Would I recommend them for a stationary home rig for the rest of us?  No. For most, there are better options for the price.  For a bass head, possibly.
Would I recommend them for a portable can?  Definitely, the market for circumaural is very limited in the context of a portable can.

These Momentums are beginning to sound uglier with each passing day 
frown.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #198 of 3,594
GloryUprising was comparing Momentum to open headphones. Of course open headphones are going to have an edge in certain areas like the bigger sound stage. The bass isn't that bad, though definitely more than the 598 due to the difference in cup sizes, and the distance of the driver to the ear.

Connecting to the headphone out of a iPhone 4S, the bass was sharper. However, after I connect a Pico Slim to the setup, the bass is smoother, rounded off and less punchy (or hurting my ear). So the amp definitely matters, so does the source and DAC of course. As such, with all the discussions on minor headphone characteristics, perhaps the amp could be used to tune the preferred sound signature.

Have a look at the yet to be released Centrance HiFi-M8 for the flexibility it will have: http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/09/11/much-flexibility-and-choic/

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #199 of 3,594
Quote:

These Momentum are beginning to sound uglier with each passing day 
frown.gif

Quote:
GloryUprising was comparing Momentum to open headphones. Of course open headphones are going to have an edge in certain areas like the bigger sound stage. The bass isn't that bad, though definitely more than the 598 due to the difference in cup sizes, and the distance of the driver to the ear.

Connecting to the headphone out of a iPhone 4S, the bass was sharper. However, after I connect a Pico Slim to the setup, the bass is smoother, rounded off and less punchy (or hurting my ear). So the amp definitely matters, so does the source and DAC of course. As such, with all the discussions on minor headphone characteristics, perhaps the amp could be used to tune the preferred sound signature.

Have a look at the yet to be released Centrance HiFi-M8 for the flexibility it will have: http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2012/09/11/much-flexibility-and-choic/

+1 to eron.

It's not exactly a fair comparison to compared a closed (momentum) to open can (HD598); each has their purpose  I just did it for the benefit of the question ask-er (is that even a word?).

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #202 of 3,594
I've been trying to dodge the iPhone 5. We'll see how long I hold out.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #203 of 3,594
Quote:

+1 to eron.

It's not exactly a fair comparison to compared a closed (momentum) to open can (HD598); each has their purpose  I just did it for the benefit of the question ask-er (is that even a word?).

beagle is not even highlighting the soundstage part xD

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #205 of 3,594
Quote:
I'm new. What does "much more forwardmean?

In the context of what Beagle is saying, it means that the midrange is all up in your business.  It is much more noticeable (closer and "more forward" towards you) than the other frequencies (which sound further and more distant from you).

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #206 of 3,594
Quote:
I'm new. What does "much more forwardmean?

Means upper midrange (around 2kHz) is elevated, so the sound presentation is in-your-face and fairly aggressive and "shouty". It has nothing to do with treble, bass, or the rest of the midrange.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #207 of 3,594
Hey guys, I have been lurking for a while and just now joined head-fi.  I received my Momentums and they are great.  This is the first pair of expensive (to me) headphones I have bought and I love them the sound gets better and better everyday.  I ordered mine from razordogdeals and I gotta say they have great customer service, I emailed them today at 5:30pm just to ask a question and they responded at 5:32pm, I have never had any company respond that fast!  It was amazing!!

Like I said, I am new to this whole high end headphones game, but I am excited to learn a lot from all of you.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #208 of 3,594
Quote:
Like I said, I am new to this whole high end headphones game, but I am excited to learn a lot from all of you.

Welcome to Head-Fi! Congratz on the purchase of your Momentum. Enjoy it! If you want to save some money, don't come on here until your headphones stop working. 
dt880smile.png

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #210 of 3,594
I've had listen to these at the NAS'12 UK over the last weekend with my Sony Z1000 headphones for comparison. I wasn't impressed at all. May be I've to do another audition as everything sounded muddy and veiled in comparison. I tried few different tracks but was not impressed. Quite dark sounding, veiled and the bass is bloated IMHO. I expected quite a lot because I like the HD-25s quite a lot. I feel this as a departure in some other direction. Z1000s have just blown these away and I didn't have to listen for more than 5 minutes to come to this conclusion. I would happily spend my money on HD-25s and then save some rather than go for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back