Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,151 of 3,594
    (i haven't tried the aviators myself) but would the fact that they have more clarity is because that the momentums have a more "thicker sound"

I think you said it best there, and would like to add there is clarity, and perceived clarity. To me both headphones are equally clear, but yes a more warmer laid back sound may sound less clear to some; everyone's ears are different, as are their tastes.

beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #3,152 of 3,594
  that sounds pretty dang good to me. but i was wondering  (i haven't tried the aviators myself) but would the fact that they have more clarity is because that the momentums have a more "thicker sound"

does the aviators have a more leaner sound? despite the midbass hump

like for example i find the bass on the amperiors leaner than the momentum over ears but the momentums have beefier bass response. its kinda hard to explain

I didn't found the Aviators to sound lean at all. They were ALWAYS very clear and lush, even on dull recordings.

But the negative aspect about that is they will get harsh on slightly too bright recordings, while the Momentum never gets harsh.

Momentums sound VERY clear on overly bright recordings, without sounding harsh, but on ''normal'' recordings, they can sound a tiny bit dull to my ears.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,153 of 3,594
hi guys! 

This is a really random or silly question but out of the black and brown momentum's which colour do you think seems to show marks or imperfections less noticeably?

please go easy on someone on me :')

I'm tossing up between getting the brown or black headphones :/

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,155 of 3,594
  hi guys! 

This is a really random or silly question but out of the black and brown momentum's which colour do you think seems to show marks or imperfections less noticeably?

please go easy on someone on me :')

I'm tossing up between getting the brown or black headphones :/

The black and brown are very close to each other tone wise. The 'black' version is actually a dark satin charcoal colour. Anyway, both having satin metal cups, attract fingerprints and smudges equally. I own the blacks, and have tried the browns in store, and from what I can tell are no different. It is also hard to physically mark the stainless band or cups with everyday use. Not sure what you mean by imperfections. The Momentums are of highest build quality and materials and would not ship with any imperfections.

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,156 of 3,594
Hey Bansaku! 

thanks for the informative response :) 

For some back history I actually purchased a pair of brown momentum's and I'm up to my 3rd replacement becasue every pair I received had defect marks on the earcups that I could notice and one had a stitching hole on the leather headband. 
the pair that I have currently is probably the best out of the bunch Iv'e received thus far but it's not in perfect condition with a slight blemish mark on the left earcup and a strange paint defect around the seam on the earcup..(it looks like a line of  paint dots)

I'm debating between keeping the pair that I have currently or receiving a refund and purchasing a black pair for the same price somewhere else.
i'm just wanting to know for a person like me who is a perfectionist myself, what colour would be the best to go for. I like both colours for different reasons but I don't know what pair would look better with age.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #3,157 of 3,594
  Hey Bansaku! 

thanks for the informative response :) 

For some back history I actually purchased a pair of brown momentum's and I'm up to my 3rd replacement becasue every pair I received had defect marks on the earcups that I could notice and one had a stitching hole on the leather headband. 
the pair that I have currently is probably the best out of the bunch Iv'e received thus far but it's not in perfect condition with a slight blemish mark on the left earcup and a strange paint defect around the seam on the earcup..(it looks like a line of  paint dots)

I'm debating between keeping the pair that I have currently or receiving a refund and purchasing a black pair for the same price somewhere else.
i'm just wanting to know for a person like me who is a perfectionist myself, what colour would be the best to go for. I like both colours for different reasons but I don't know what pair would look better with age.

Well, considering you have had 3 less than stellar QC'd headphones (perhaps your browns came from the same run), perhaps try the black ones; They are technically newer. 

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #3,158 of 3,594
I was thinking that :) 

from all the replacements I've owned none of them come with a protected wrapping around the seam of the earcups but the black versions do from the images iv'e seen. 

was that the case for you?

here is a description of what I'm talking about
http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e9/500x1000px-LL-e9f7d0cc_IMG_3507.png

how do the metallic black badges handle with scratches etc? are they easily marked?

I was okay with getting the brown ones becasue I thought that the silver badges on the headband and earcups would be able to handle a lot more against scratches.

EDIT: I bought the brown headphones for AU$235 and another company is offering the black ones for the same price.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,159 of 3,594
  from all the replacements I've owned none of them come with a protected wrapping around the seam of the earcups but the black versions do from the images iv'e seen. 

was that the case for you?

how do the metallic black badges handle with scratches etc? are they easily marked?

I was okay with getting the brown ones becasue I thought that the silver badges on the headband and earcups would be able to handle a lot more against scratches.

To be honest I got mine slightly used, so I can't comment on the band. That being said, having been used in travel for a couple of months, I received them in immaculate condition. No visible scuffs on the cups or black badging. Having the Momentum On-ears as well which do have the silver badges, they have held up well and as I look, no visible scuffs or marks.

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #3,160 of 3,594

To be honest I got mine slightly used, so I can't comment on the band. That being said, having been used in travel for a couple of months, I received them in immaculate condition. No visible scuffs on the cups or black badging. Having the Momentum On-ears as well which do have the silver badges, they have held up well and as I look, no visible scuffs or marks.

beerchug.gif

That's very confident to here :) 

I guess I always get the unlucky units all thee timee. 

now should I get a refund and go for the black pair just becasue of the colour or should I go for it becasue I've had numerous exchanges with my brown pair currently and becasue the black pair is technically the newer version the QC should be better?

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3,161 of 3,594
  should I go for it becasue I've had numerous exchanges with my brown pair currently and becasue the black pair is technically the newer version the QC should be better?

Working in manufacturing and having to do QC/QA, I can say that some people are more fussy than others, and therefor QC can vary. One guy can QC dozens or hundreds of items by hand per shift, and each batch can be sent out to different resellers. So based on that alone, I would say go for the blacks.

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #3,162 of 3,594

Working in manufacturing and having to do QC/QA, I can say that some people are more fussy than others, and therefor QC can vary. One guy can QC dozens or hundreds of items by hand per shift, and each batch can be sent out to different resellers. So based on that alone, I would say go for the blacks.

beerchug.gif

would that mean that even if I went for the black version it doesn't necessarily mean that the QC is any better or worse?

I'm sorry, I got a little confused at the end of your statement.

oh, if I got a job in QC/QA I would defiantly be one of the fussy ones :3  

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #3,163 of 3,594
  would that mean that even if I went for the black version it doesn't necessarily mean that the QC is any better or worse?

I am saying that there is a higher probability that you will get a better QC'd pair with the blacks as they are newer, but there is always room for error. In regards to the browns, if your region all got the less that stellar pair, then getting another brown one may result in another crappy pair.

cool.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #3,164 of 3,594

I am saying that there is a higher probability that you will get a better QC'd pair with the blacks as they are newer, but there is always room for error. In regards to the browns, if your region all got the less that stellar pair, then getting another brown one may result in another crappy pair.

cool.gif

that's very true! 

after getting 3 replacement all pairs I've received have had an error or two. My 2nd replacement was actually in a lower standard than my 1st pair with numerous marks on the ear cups. 

Iv'e learnt that exchanging headphones is a risk becasue you may get one that's in worse off condition than you one you originally bought.

I think I'll take my chances and get the black pair as your reasons for it seem legit. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #3,165 of 3,594
I often hear many people (and review sites) praising the Sennheiser Momentum sound. With that, I was surprised to hear my friend thought them to be really thin sounding and I decided to try them out myself at my local Best Buy. Upon trying them, I completely agreed with my friend's judgement of the Momentum's sound, and upon comparing them with the Senn HD558, they lacked clarity sounded much thinner. I really wanted to like them, I mean, they look incredible but the sound just didn't do it for me. Perhaps it was a faulty display set at BestBuy or likelythe way they had it set up to the demo music (although I did try it my own music). 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back