Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 1, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #3,136 of 3,594
  I bought these on good faith. Tyll appeared to be liking them quite a bit.

I think these cans look nice, but the vocals are horribly colored.

Maybe to your ears.
To mine, they're perfect.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,137 of 3,594

Hmm, I compared them to my beyerdynamic T90 and some other headphones (DT880, DT770, HD25, Amperior, M50) and I didn't find the Momentum to be colored in the vocals. 

So, am very surprised that you heard that. Anyhow, every ear is different.

Cheers,
K

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #3,138 of 3,594
  Today i received sennheiser momentum
I compared them to m50 and m50  seems to be louder at the same volume level.
99dB vs 110dB.
Did i receive a deffective pair of momentum?

I just tested the two (Momentum over ear vs ATH-M50) briefly on my C5D in the office. The Momentum is slightly louder to my ears, though I did not measure it with a microphone. 

Cheers,
K

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #3,139 of 3,594
Jul 1, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #3,140 of 3,594
Still waiting for it to arrive. Any day now I think. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #3,141 of 3,594
Still waiting for it to arrive. Any day now I think. 

Will be interesting to hear your opinions on this silver cable as opposed to mine in the other thread.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,142 of 3,594

do you mean the over ears? 

i actually find the over ears a bit subdue on female vocals. it definitely favours male>female

but other than that i didn't find them coloured

the on ears do have some veiling i find in the mids. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #3,144 of 3,594
Yes over ears (sort of). I dont see them as forward or recessed the voices just dont sound natural to me.

Probably crazy but I would describe it as quaky green. Amperiors for example sound more natural blue to me. Sorry if I dont make sense :D

Quaky Green. :) LOL

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,145 of 3,594

Hmm, I compared them to my beyerdynamic T90 and some other headphones (DT880, DT770, HD25, Amperior, M50) and I didn't find the Momentum to be colored in the vocals. 

So, am very surprised that you heard that. Anyhow, every ear is different.

Cheers,
K

So how do they compare to T90s sonically? I have Momentums and I wonder whether I should sell my HD650s and buy other headphones (T90s and Fostex TH600/900 are on my mind). HD650s are like Momentum's bigger brother and personally I find Momentums to be more fun so I'll keep them.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,146 of 3,594
I compared the Skullcandy Aviator along with the Sennheiser Momentum in the store with my mobile phone.

They were the best 2 sounding headphones in the store, and imo they were in the same league, they only did different things better.

Sennheiser Momentum had: larger, more spacious sound, better imaging, instrument separation and detail.

Skullcandy Aviator had: A LOT more clarity, and same timbre, but also a little harsh on bright recordings.

The reason I didn't buy the Aviator, is that, while they had VERY good clarity and realistic tone, they didn't have the detail or separation that belongs to their price range.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3,147 of 3,594

Skullcandy Aviator had: A LOT more clarity, and same timbre, but also a little harsh on bright recordings.

The reason I didn't buy the Aviator, is that, while they had VERY good clarity and realistic tone, they didn't have the detail or separation that belongs to their price range.

You also forgot to add that the Aviators have a larger bass hump than the Momentums. It is something that is quite noticeable.

That's the reason I got rid of my Aviators, harshness in the upper mids and treble. Even after I applied a balanced EQ (at the time I did it manually) while the harshness subsided, the detail was lost. In fact, a more accurate comparison would be to compare the Aviators sound to the Atlas (the first headphone I kept after my Bose/Monster/Beats/Sony buy/sell stint since I gave away my Aviators).  I still stand by my last post on the 'Candies vs the Senns' in that the Momentum simply sounds more 'refined' to my ears, especially after a balanced EQ (a whole new monster).

Earlier this week I actually (finally) picked up a pair of Momentums for $180. First thing I immediately noticed was how freak'n light they are. The security cables they use in store really weighs these cans down. I knew they were light but wow. 
Quick comparison between the Momentums and Momentum On-ears. 85% similar in 'overall sound'. What is different? Here is a good analogy.Take a pair of loudspeakers and listen to them in a basement on a plush leather couch with hardwood floors. That is the Momentum. Moving the same set of loudspeakers into a low carpeted den and listening to them on a micro-fibre couch. That is the Momentum On-ear.

beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,148 of 3,594

You also forgot to add that the Aviators have a larger bass hump than the Momentums. It is something that is quite noticeable.

That's the reason I got rid of my Aviators, harshness in the upper mids and treble. Even after I applied a balanced EQ (at the time I did it manually) while the harshness subsided, the detail was lost. In fact, a more accurate comparison would be to compare the Aviators sound to the Atlas (the first headphone I kept after my Bose/Monster/Beats/Sony buy/sell stint since I gave away my Aviators).  I still stand by my last post on the 'Candies vs the Senns' in that the Momentum simply sounds more 'refined' to my ears, especially after a balanced EQ (a whole new monster).

Earlier this week I actually (finally) picked up a pair of Momentums for $180. First thing I immediately noticed was how freak'n light they are. The security cables they use in store really weighs these cans down. I knew they were light but wow. 
Quick comparison between the Momentums and Momentum On-ears. 85% similar in 'overall sound'. What is different? Here is a good analogy.Take a pair of loudspeakers and listen to them in a basement on a plush leather couch with hardwood floors. That is the Momentum. Moving the same set of loudspeakers into a low carpeted den and listening to them on a micro-fibre couch. That is the Momentum On-ear.

beerchug.gif

Yeah, the uppermid/treble harshness on the Aviator is pretty annoying on slightly too bright recordings.

But I wouldn't say the Momentum is more refined in terms of clarity. 

If we take clarity and timbre out of the question, than yes, they are more refined.

But it just suprised me that people were saying the Aviators sound decent, when in fact they beat A LOT of headphones around and above their price range if we talk about clarity and timbre.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #3,149 of 3,594

But it just suprised me that people were saying the Aviators sound decent, when in fact they beat A LOT of headphones around and above their price range if we talk about clarity and timbre.

I do not disagree with you there. For being Skullcandy, the Aviators are very respectable. Given a choice between it's price competition, Beats/Monster, Urbanbeats, SolRepublic etc., I would gladly take the Aviators (again).

beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3,150 of 3,594

I do not disagree with you there. For being Skullcandy, the Aviators are very respectable. Given a choice between it's price competition, Beats/Monster, Urbanbeats, SolRepublic etc., I would gladly take the Aviators (again).

beerchug.gif

that sounds pretty dang good to me. but i was wondering  (i haven't tried the aviators myself) but would the fact that they have more clarity is because that the momentums have a more "thicker sound"

does the aviators have a more leaner sound? despite the midbass hump

like for example i find the bass on the amperiors leaner than the momentum over ears but the momentums have beefier bass response. its kinda hard to explain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back