Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3,076 of 3,594

I am wondering if anyone has used any custom cables? Does it make any differences?

IMHO custom cables are rip offs sold by snake oil salesmen

Really? This particular replacement can be bought cheaper on ebay for less than the genuine cable.
Sounds like a bargain to me. 

May 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,077 of 3,594
Really? This particular replacement can be bought cheaper on ebay for less than the genuine cable.

Sounds like a bargain to me also.
But the OP asked about a difference, I assume he meant an improvement in sound quality. Koolpep honestly stated he heard no improvement in SQ. That was the whole point of the question.

May 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #3,078 of 3,594
I know. But I can still disagree with your statement.
I don't see what all the fuss is about.

May 30, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #3,080 of 3,594
how is momentum's bass compared to m50 ?

Much better, different league. Not in quantity but refinement.

Cheers,
K

May 30, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #3,081 of 3,594
Got these on sale on Amazon and they finally arrived. First impressions are pretty good. Some things to check:

1. Why is the plain cable louder than the one with the volume control even though I set it all of the way up?
2. My ears just fit inside. After listening for one hour, they started to be uncomfortable.

More as I use them.

Justinto

May 30, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,082 of 3,594

2. My ears just fit inside. After listening for one hour, they started to be uncomfortable.

That's a shame. This is unlikely to improve without costly cosmetic surgery, I can strongly recommend an ear-reduction.
But it's your money, and it may be better spent on a larger headphone... but YMMV.

May 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3,083 of 3,594
Got these on sale on Amazon and they finally arrived. First impressions are pretty good. Some things to check:

1. Why is the plain cable louder than the one with the volume control even though I set it all of the way up?

More as I use them.

Justinto

It might sound silly but with large ears, just don't put them inside. Let the ear pads rest on the large part of your ears and just trust the memory foam to get a good seal. Works for me and I can listen to the Momentums for much longer. The same can be said for the Onkyo ES FC300 - same thing. No need to put your ears inside.

Cheers,
K

May 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,085 of 3,594
It might sound silly but with large ears, just don't put them inside. Let the ear pads rest on the large part of your ears and just trust the memory foam to get a good seal. Works for me and I can listen to the Momentums for much longer. The same can be said for the Onkyo ES FC300 - same thing. No need to put your ears inside.

Cheers,
K

Thank you for the information. I took the Momentums jogging this morning and they were fine. I usually take the Beyer DT-1350s.

May 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,086 of 3,594

Cheers,
K

but the onkyo fc300 are actually "on ears". then again how do the momentums of the onkyos stake up ?

May 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #3,087 of 3,594
but the onkyo fc300 are actually "on ears". then again how do the momentums of the onkyos stake up ?

That's my point. The Momentum over ears don't have to be worn over ear. Definitions are a bit weird there.

Sound wise they are very close with the onkyo having deeper bass and the momentum being a bit more refined in the mids.

The Momentums are more comfy for me but I still have to put the onkyo through some proper testing and comparison. Stay tuned :)

May 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,088 of 3,594

More as I use them.

Justinto

Every piece of equipment in the signal path increases the impedance/ resistance of the cable and making it quieter. This could be an example of the effect. Nothing to worry about though.

May 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #3,089 of 3,594
Every piece of equipment in the signal path increases the impedance/ resistance of the cable and making it quieter. This could be an example of the effect. Nothing to worry about though.

The volume control in the Momentums are not in the signal path, it affects the volume back at the DAP/Phone and thus are not inline with the headphone's tranducers. It is possible that the TRRS wiring in the Momentum is not compatible with the DAP/Phone one is using and in that case, use the other cable. If while one holds in buttons (perhaps the middle button) the sound increases, the wiring can be an issue.

May 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,090 of 3,594
  The volume control in the Momentums are not in the signal path, it affects the volume back at the DAP/Phone and thus are not inline with the headphone's tranducers. It is possible that the TRRS wiring in the Momentum is not compatible with the DAP/Phone one is using and in that case, use the other cable. If while one holds in buttons the sound increases, the wiring can be an issue.

Oh, many thanks, learned something new. Thinking about it, it makes perfect sense, I should have figured that out myself, that it's not the same as the old volume sliders in the path...

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back