Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,046 of 3,594
Does anyone know, is there any trrs balanced cables for the momentum? Is this even possible without modding and soldering? It looks like the small jack that goes into the earcup is trrs. I've got a trrs audio player and have to use the trs-trrs adapter to get stereo sound (without adapter sound is almost mono).  

May 9, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #3,047 of 3,594
The Momentum is wired for TRMS where M=microphone.  The L & R grounds are tied together within the headphone so you will have to do mods to separate the grounds.

May 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #3,050 of 3,594
Have anyone tried this headphone against the Monoprice 8323?  Not in terms of sound quality...but the size of the cups...I wonder if they are the same size or smaller.  I'm wondering how my ears would fit in them.

May 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #3,051 of 3,594
Have anyone tried this headphone against the Monoprice 8323?  Not in terms of sound quality...but the size of the cups...I wonder if they are the same size or smaller.  I'm wondering how my ears would fit in them.

The momentum cup size is indeed much smaller than the monoprice cans. I have both of them and I found the monoprice cups a bit too big on my ears. The Momentums fit "just right" on my ears and head.

May 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,052 of 3,594
The momentum cup size is indeed much smaller than the monoprice cans. I have both of them and I found the monoprice cups a bit too big on my ears. The Momentums fit "just right" on my ears and head.

Oh bummer!

Is there a significant difference in sound between both? Maybe the AT M50x be a good alternative?

May 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,053 of 3,594

Oh bummer!

Is there a significant difference in sound between both? Maybe the AT M50x be a good alternative?

Sorry for the late reply. There's a huge difference between the momentums and the mono price cans. $300+ headphone vs. a $35 can can't really compare them. Momentums blow the monoprice cans out of of the water in every subject besides cup size and maybe bass. The momentums however don't fit on everyone's ears, you should try it first before you buy it.

Although, that being said 35 bucks for the monoprice cans is pretty amazing for what sound you can get out of it and use. Its a good can to trash around.

Can't really comment on the M50x, haven't tried it before. There should be a thread on it though.

May 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #3,054 of 3,594
Sorry for the late reply. There's a huge difference between the momentums and the mono price cans. $300+ headphone vs. a $35 can can't really compare them. Momentums blow the monoprice cans out of of the water in every subject besides cup size and maybe bass. The momentums however don't fit on everyone's ears, you should try it first before you buy it.

Although, that being said 35 bucks for the monoprice cans is pretty amazing for what sound you can get out of it and use. Its a good can to trash around.

Can't really comment on the M50x, haven't tried it before. There should be a thread on it though.

Thank you!  will try to find one... I had the HP50s for a while and they were too many issues with its fit and the headband just looks plain stupid.  Now the sound was something else!!  I asked about the 8323 since I had them before I lost them and wanted to upgrade. The HP50s were a defintate upgrade and sounded amazing out of my GeekOut450. But they didn't meet my needs.  Was hoping for the Momentums to be a good second best?  Anybody with Momentums in Puerto Rico?

May 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #3,055 of 3,594
Thank you!  will try to find one... I had the HP50s for a while and they were too many issues with its fit and the headband just looks plain stupid.  Now the sound was something else!!  I asked about the 8323 since I had them before I lost them and wanted to upgrade. The HP50s were a defintate upgrade and sounded amazing out of my GeekOut450. But they didn't meet my needs.  Was hoping for the Momentums to be a good second best?  Anybody with Momentums in Puerto Rico?

I slided from HP50 to momentum because of the comfort and look issue. Really there was nothing to complain on the sound of HP50, but IMO momentum is also on par with HP50. Weird, but I really find momentum's bass not that heavy.

May 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,056 of 3,594
Just bought some brown Momentum Over-Ears and I am not very impressed. When I turn the volume up full (or nearly full) then the treble starts to get hissy + clipped. Also I've found the vocals can be get quite muddy and lack the definition and clarity that I have experienced with other earphones.

It this normal? I've only tried them with my HTC One and Macbook Air, but they should easily have enough power to drive these low impedance momentums, right?

May 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,057 of 3,594
  Just bought some brown Momentum Over-Ears and I am not very impressed. When I turn the volume up full (or nearly full) then the treble starts to get hissy + clipped. Also I've found the vocals can be get quite muddy and lack the definition and clarity that I have experienced with other earphones.

It this normal? I've only tried them with my HTC One and Macbook Air, but they should easily have enough power to drive these low impedance momentums, right?

why would you need turn it up that loud in the first place? very likely to get hearing damage

plus they isolate really well for over ear cans so you really don't need to turn it up 

lol i find most headphones clip past 90% anyway. thats why when amping most people that double amp put the volume at max 80-85% on the device or so while adjusting the volume on the amp from then on, to prevent clipping

their drivers are not meant to be pushed like that

especially since the momentums are low impedence pretty high sensitivity you should be fine off a macbook around 1-4 volume with itunes volume at 100%. 

even on the iphone when i ran the momentums i had it no higher than 6/16 on the volume

May 18, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,058 of 3,594

First off, the output of the MacBook Air is more than ample to drive the MOE, however like all onboard audio the sound quality is not that stellar. Even after balancing the MOE using a parametric EQ I do find the treble to be hissy. Adding a good USB DAC/headphone amp like the Asus Xonar U3 or an Audioengine D1 makes all the world of difference; Treble at higher volume levels sounds excellent with great extension and never sounds hissy or thin. Vocals sounds great and never muddy.

I am not too sure about the HTC One, other than the comparative readings on their audio vs the iPhone and Galaxy is quite poor. I use an iPod Touch (5th gen.) and use the Accudio app with the balanced settings for the Momentum as the MOE's smoothed frequency response is 98% identical. It really does make all the world of difference in sound quality. If your HTC One (Android) has an audio player with a parametric EQ, use the below graph to balance the MOE's frequency curve. The black line is the base EQ curve, the red line is what the parametric curve needs to look like in order to flatten the EQ response. The great thing is afterwards you can easily tweak the curve to your desired taste. Hope this helps.

May 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,059 of 3,594

First off, the output of the MacBook Air is more than ample to drive the MOE, however like all onboard audio the sound quality is not that stellar. Even after balancing the MOE using a parametric EQ I do find the treble to be hissy. Adding a good USB DAC/headphone amp like the Asus Xonar U3 or an Audioengine D1 makes all the world of difference; Treble at higher volume levels sounds excellent with great extension and never sounds hissy or thin. Vocals sounds great and never muddy.

I am not too sure about the HTC One, other than the comparative readings on their audio vs the iPhone and Galaxy is quite poor. I use an iPod Touch (5th gen.) and use the Accudio app with the balanced settings for the Momentum as the MOE's smoothed frequency response is 98% identical. It really does make all the world of difference in sound quality. If your HTC One (Android) has an audio player with a parametric EQ, use the below graph to balance the MOE's frequency curve. The black line is the base EQ curve, the red line is what the parametric curve needs to look like in order to flatten the EQ response. The great thing is afterwards you can easily tweak the curve to your desired taste. Hope this helps.

you basically just want a flat line straight across? i'm curious on how that works or sounds would that not sound dead? like really cold?

May 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,060 of 3,594
  you basically just want a flat line straight across? i'm curious on how that works or sounds would that not sound dead? like really cold?

Not at all. I was like you not too long ago in thinking that trying to flatten the curve would as you said make the sound cold and lifeless. I don't want to get into the lengthy, detailed science behind it; Check out here for more info. Basically is brings out the fullness of the sound by levelling. Basic headphones sound good with a balanced equalization, while good quality headphones sound spectacular.

Oh, and give the MOE time to burn in. I am at 30 hours and they are only getting better. Typical Sennheiser. 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back