Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3,316 of 3,594

Can you explain how Sound Check helps control the bass? I'm having issues with the bass on my over ear versions; bit boomy and not tight enough. I don't want to sell them as I like a lot of things about these but as we all know sound is important.

Sound Check pretty much Apple's fancy name for a limiter; It attenuates the peaks and spikes and levels out the volume. By how much I don't know. How It does it I don't know. It's Apple tech after all. I do know it is 'smart' or adaptive.

beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #3,317 of 3,594

Sound Check pretty much Apple's fancy name for a limiter; It attenuates the peaks and spikes and levels out the volume. By how much I don't know. How It does it I don't know. It's Apple tech after all. I do know it is 'smart' or adaptive.

beerchug.gif

Cheers. Ok listening now on iPod classic + Momentums + Sound Check. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,318 of 3,594
The momentums are currently on sale here. I've been thinking about getting some ATH M50x, but now that they're in the same price range (160-180 euro), I'm not sure what to do. Is this one better or is the M50 better for Progressive Rock/Metal and some occasional blues/singer songwriter-ish stuff?
Note that I currently do not own an amp

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,319 of 3,594
The momentums are currently on sale here. I've been thinking about getting some ATH M50x, but now that they're in the same price range (160-180 euro), I'm not sure what to do. Is this one better or is the M50 better for Progressive Rock/Metal and some occasional blues/singer songwriter-ish stuff?

fwiw... i bought m50 and hated them. tooooo bloated. and i love bass! sent them back. i love my momentums!

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,320 of 3,594

The Ath-m50x is nice but can be a bit brassy, though, with burn in the bass mellowed. The momentum s look very nice, but I have heard if you have large ears, the momentum over the ear might not fit well. If your ears fit go for the Sennheiser Momentum's.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,321 of 3,594

If you are not using an amp, m50 is not suitable because it's a studio headphone. I listened to it briefly and i think that the mid is too recessed.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,322 of 3,594
If you are not using an amp, m50 is not suitable because it's a studio headphone. I listened to it briefly and i think that the mid is too recessed.

the m50s are decently efficient (don't let the "studio" name fool you) it can run easily off any ipod/smartphone with little problem.

the second part of your statement i can understand, thats been many peoples complaints about them 

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,324 of 3,594
Extremely late to the party, but thought I would add my $.02.

I'll reiterate that the high marks come from Sennheiser's successful play to make a set that is reasonably portable (maybe leave the case at home), is super easy to drive for mobile devices, isolates sound respectably, and sounds very very good.  They look fine.  I don't think of myself as being remembered as the guy who got off the plane with those awesome cans.  The lady next to me, well...

I've been listening to them with lossless digital content through an HRT Microstreamer DAC/amp for 4 hours tonight and have no treble fatigue. +1

There seems to be a hangup with describing the bass response.  I don't agree with those who think it sounds remarkably boosted. In my setup it sounds appropriately supportive.  It is definitely not what I would call punchy, even with this modest portable DAC/amp.  It is clean, but stays out of the way.  It sounds fairly heavily damped, meaning all the attacks are there, but the dynamics in the baritone vocals on up through the range are much stronger.  It's an atmospheric bass that almost sounds like it's a little farther away than the rest of the music.

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #3,325 of 3,594
I'll pitch in with my own experience. I bought the Momentum because of the great reviews, and I've had and loved Sennheiser before.

These headphones are very very good looking. Tasteful design. But... (There is always a "but", isn't there?) they are extremely tight on your head! I believe I have quite a small skull size, as I always have to go for small hat sizes, but these clamped so hard I couldn't possibly wear them without constantly feeling they were there. Does anyone else recognize this?

I had to return them to the store after a while as I couldn't forget about their prescence and just listen to the music. I guess I value comfort even more than sound quality, which by the way I wasn't super impressed with either (especially in the lower register). It's good but for a 250 EUR headphone I guess I had expected greatness, but that might also be a tad high expectations from my side as these were the most expensive ones I've bought.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3,326 of 3,594
    It's an atmospheric bass that almost sounds like it's a little farther away than the rest of the music.

I like to call it polite (or modest) and complimentary. Trust me, they can bring the boom when the song calls for it.

beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,327 of 3,594
  I'll pitch in with my own experience. I bought the Momentum because of the great reviews, and I've had and loved Sennheiser before.

These headphones are very very good looking. Tasteful design. But... (There is always a "but", isn't there?) they are extremely tight on your head! I believe I have quite a small skull size, as I always have to go for small hat sizes, but these clamped so hard I couldn't possibly wear them without constantly feeling they were there. Does anyone else recognize this?

I had to return them to the store after a while as I couldn't forget about their prescence and just listen to the music. I guess I value comfort even more than sound quality, which by the way I wasn't super impressed with either (especially in the lower register). It's good but for a 250 EUR headphone I guess I had expected greatness, but that might also be a tad high expectations from my side as these were the most expensive ones I've bought.

it sounds like your describing the on ear Momentums until.... i saw the price. 

thats quite odd i thought they have a light clamping force, and i think for most people if the earcup is larger the comfort is outstanding

that was one of the main highlights in my review of the momentum over ears, was that they isolate well, has a light clamp (so its comfortable)

that said maybe the headband is a certain flex to it and if you go past it, the clamp is lighter 

meaning that it might clamp harder for smaller headed folks like yourself, wish i could test but my normal sized melon is here to stay =(

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3,330 of 3,594

at first I didn't like the clamping force either, so I just bent out the headband a little. It is steel after all, so no harm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back