Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,301 of 3,594
Hi, i'm owning the px100ii and i purchased a momentum last year. I do noticed that although jude said the momentum is bass emphasis, i do feel that these are very polite sounding and the bass is not as full and thick as the px100ii. Vocal sounds very nice on the momentum and i do think music sounds wide and uncompressed on it. Treble, to my opinion, is smoothed off.
Does my momentum sound authentic to you?

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,302 of 3,594
Hi, i'm owning the px100ii and i purchased a momentum last year. I do noticed that although jude said the momentum is bass emphasis, i do feel that these are very polite sounding and the bass is not as full and thick as the px100ii. Vocal sounds very nice on the momentum and i do think music sounds wide and uncompressed on it. Treble, to my opinion, is smoothed off.
Does my momentum sound authentic to you?

Yup.
Sometimes I feel the same way, occasionally resulting with me EQ'ing in some bass for electronic music or significantly bass-light recordings.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #3,303 of 3,594
Yup.
Sometimes I feel the same way, occasionally resulting with me EQ'ing in some bass for electronic music or significantly bass-light recordings.

To me, it's not the type of bass that would make your eardrum rumble. Trap music does not sound satisfying enough to me with the momentum. I think the bass is not so low and doesnt hit hard, it just gives you the body needed for the sound and makes the overall signature become a bit warm.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,304 of 3,594
I received my Senn. Momentum (larger around the ear) headphones brand new, was impressed by the packaging presentation (albeit excessive packing which is bad on the environment), expecting an amazing sound.

First upon trying them with the default-installed iphone (crap) compatible cable, I was utterly saddened by the faulty sound quality: virtually no treble, overpowering midrange and annoyingly exaggerated bass, narrow soundstage and subpar dynamics.

After watching a review video to find out how to swap the cable for the traditional simple cable, I noticed an amazing improvement - sharp treble, full midrange and clear bass. However don't let those words fool you: the midrange is bloated requiring a precision EQ reduction around the 1.2khz, and the bass is OUTLANDISHLY bloated. (swapping cables confirming my theory that the iPod campatible cable with its circuits and thin wiring had reduced the sonic capability of these phones). After thorough comparison between these and two other Beyerdynamic models: DT 880 32-ohm and DT 1350 on ear with tesla drivers (all done with a modi+magni amp), I realized several things: the soundstage and clarity were less than the 880s, better soundstage but less analytical than the 1350s, yet I *ALWAYS* had to do some serious EQ reduction in the mids and the bass.

After burning them in with pink noise overnight for a hopeful last ditch effort to redeem the sound quality, I plugged it into my cell phone to listen to some IDM, house & techno. The bass was overpowering enough to make me stop in my super busy schedule and EQ it down a few notches. 5 min. later I had to stop on the street and use my only one hand avail. to further reduce the bass. FInally after my 4th time reducing the bass down to about -6db on the 60hz and about -4.5db on the 30hz frequency; also reducing both the two upper treble freq. (8 & 16khz) buy about hald the amount of the bass, it was finally "listenable"... but only for about 5 more min. until I became angry at it's V-shaped SUPER-COLORED sound signature that could not be reckoned with no matter how much EQing you could throw at it. So At that point I decided to throw in my hat on the Sennheiser Momentum - opting for my Beyer 1350s (eq boost on the lows and reduction on the midrange to make it sound more realistic) and send it back for a refund until I get my next better set of portable headphones.

About the build quality I do however have mostly positive words: the quality was rugged and well built with the steal-type solid headband and the adjustable length without notches was nice, and the leather pads were comfortable. BUT in the mirror the phones looked large on my med-size head and in the 80's sunny weather walking around these easily became sweaty under my ears.

On a last note, let me tell you the bass, albeit more clear than the V-modas and the (shi**y) Beats on-ear headphones, was SO overpowering that, 13 hours after putting these headphones down I realized that my headache was a likely result of the Momentum's super exaggerated, skull thumping bass frequencies. Finally, almost 24 hours after using the Momentums I took 400mg of ibuprofin to kill my subsequent headache and the morning after happily repacked these headphones for a refund even before eating breakfast.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,305 of 3,594
I received my Senn. Momentum (larger around the ear) headphones brand new, was imporesseb by the packaging presentation (albeit excessive packing which is bad on the environment), expecting an amazing sound.

First upon trying them with the default-installed iphone (crap) compatible cable, I was utterly saddened by the faulty sound quality: virtually no treble, overpowering midrange and annoyingly exaggerated bass, narrow soundstage and subpar dynamics.

After watching a review video to find out how to swap the cable for the strditional simple cable, I noticed an amazing improvement - sharp treble, full midrange and clear bass. However don't let those words fool you: the midrange is bloated requiring a precision EQ reduction around the 1.2khz, and the bass is OUTLANDISHLY bloated. I swapped cables confirming my theory that the iPod campatible cable with its circuits and thin wiring had reduced the sonic performance of these phones). After thorough comparison between these and two other Beyerdynamic models: DT 800 32-ohm and DT 1350 on ear with tesla drivers (all done with a modi+magni amp), I realized several things: the soundstage and clarity were less than the 880s, better soundstage but less analytical than the 1350s, yet I *ALWAYS* had to do some serious EQ reduction in the mids and the bass.

After burning them in with pink noise overnight for a hopeful last ditch effort to redeem the sound quality, I plugged it into my cell phone to listen to some IDM, house &b techno. The bass was overpowering enough to make me stop in my super busy schedule and EQ it down a few notches. 5 min. later I had to stop on the street and use my only one hand avail. to further reduce the bass. FInally after my 4th time reducing the bass down to about -6db on the 60hz and about -4.5db on the 30hz frequency; also reducing both the two upper treble freq. (8 & 16khz) buy about hald the amount of the bass, it was finally "listenable"... but only for about 5 more min. until I became angry at it's V-shaped SUPER-COLORED sound signature that could not be reconed with no matter how much EQing you could throw at it. So At that point I decided to throw in my hat on the Sennheiser Momentum - opting for my Beyer 1350s (eq boost on the lows and reduction on the midrange to make it sound more realistic) and send it back for a refund until I get my next better set of portable headphones.

About the build quality I do however have mostly positive words: the quality was rugged and well built with the steal-type solid headband and the adjustable length without notches was nice, and the leather pads were comfortable. BUT in the mirror the phones looked large on my med-size head and in the 80's sunny weather walking around these easily became sweaty under my ears.

On a last note, let me tell you the bass, albeit more clear than the V-modas and the (shi**y) Beats on-ear headphones, was SO overpowering that, 13 hours after putting these headphones down I realized that my headache was a likely result of the Momentum's super exaggerated, skull thumping bass frequencies. Finally, almost 24 hours after using the Momentums I took 400mg of ibuprofin to kill my subsequent headache and the morning after happily repacked these headphones for a refund even before eating breakfast.

I think you may got a faulty one or you are a treble head because to me the momentum sounds balanced and the overall signature is dark. The bass, to my opinion, is not overpowering and perhaps lacking sometimes for electro, house, dubstep, trap.etc.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,306 of 3,594
I'm more of a fan of neutral / analytical headphones. Perhaps you would benefit from comparing your Momentums with other hi-end headphones that are more or less perfectly balanced and detailed such as Senn. HD 598, ATH-M40x or even Beyer. Dt-880 then you will realise there is a much wider sound spectrum to be enjoyed without bass dominance.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #3,307 of 3,594
I'm more of a fan of neutral / analytical headphones. Perhaps you would benefit from comparing your Momentums with other hi-end headphones that are more or less perfectly balanced and detailed such as Senn. HD 598, ATH-M40x or even Beyer. Dt-880 then you will realise there is a much wider sound spectrum to be enjoyed without bass dominance.

I've tried the 598 and to be honest, i'm not a big fan. I'll find and try the m40x and beyer then, especially the beyer since i havent tried any of their product. Maybe, i'm a basshead then :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #3,308 of 3,594
Hello, I was really going to reccommend the Hifiman HE-500 or its less expensive brother HE-400i to you an an amazing alternative, but I don't know what your budget is. If however, you do go with the Beyer. DT-880s I would strongly reccomend you to get the higher ohm rating, (I believe around 500 rather than 32 ohm) and DEFINITELY power it with an amp rather than directly. Around a $100 amp should do the trick (the modi+magni worked great). I couldn't believe it, but after listening to these more than 2 years I finally realized how much more detail and lifelike stereo imagining I could get out of those with an amp compared to without. Good day

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #3,309 of 3,594
I think you may got a faulty one or you are a treble head because to me the momentum sounds balanced and the overall signature is dark. The bass, to my opinion, is not overpowering and perhaps lacking sometimes for electro, house, dubstep, trap.etc.

Going to +1 on this. Bass is polite/modest, mids are silky smooth, and the treble although laid back, is full of sparkle and detail with great extension. Overall the sound signature is warm, yet spacious and revealing; Balanced with a touch body.  Doing an A/B test on the iPod remote cable and the standard straight cable, there was very little difference in sound quality with the exception that the straight cable is a tad louder.

I would like to get an aftermarket remote cable though as the one provided is a wee bit thin, and the upper portion that comes out of the metal housing has noticeable microphonics, and sometimes simply touching the metal remote housing will cause crackles and clicks.

beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #3,311 of 3,594
On sale for $99 in BB if anyone is interested.

That's the on-ear version not the around ear.

blink.gif
 It is not even Black Friday yet!!! WOW! People, jump on these!!!!!

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3,312 of 3,594
I received my Senn. Momentum (larger around the ear) headphones brand new, was impressed by the packaging presentation (albeit excessive packing which is bad on the environment), expecting an amazing sound.

After watching a review video to find out how to swap the cable for the traditional simple cable, I noticed an amazing improvement - sharp treble, full midrange and clear bass. However don't let those words fool you: the midrange is bloated requiring a precision EQ reduction around the 1.2khz, and the bass is OUTLANDISHLY bloated. (swapping cables confirming my theory that the iPod campatible cable with its circuits and thin wiring had reduced the sonic capability of these phones). After thorough comparison between these and two other Beyerdynamic models: DT 880 32-ohm and DT 1350 on ear with tesla drivers (all done with a modi+magni amp), I realized several things: the soundstage and clarity were less than the 880s, better soundstage but less analytical than the 1350s, yet I *ALWAYS* had to do some serious EQ reduction in the mids and the bass.

After burning them in with pink noise overnight for a hopeful last ditch effort to redeem the sound quality, I plugged it into my cell phone to listen to some IDM, house & techno. The bass was overpowering enough to make me stop in my super busy schedule and EQ it down a few notches. 5 min. later I had to stop on the street and use my only one hand avail. to further reduce the bass. FInally after my 4th time reducing the bass down to about -6db on the 60hz and about -4.5db on the 30hz frequency; also reducing both the two upper treble freq. (8 & 16khz) buy about hald the amount of the bass, it was finally "listenable"... but only for about 5 more min. until I became angry at it's V-shaped SUPER-COLORED sound signature that could not be reckoned with no matter how much EQing you could throw at it. So At that point I decided to throw in my hat on the Sennheiser Momentum - opting for my Beyer 1350s (eq boost on the lows and reduction on the midrange to make it sound more realistic) and send it back for a refund until I get my next better set of portable headphones.

Going to +1 on this. Bass is polite/modest, mids are silky smooth, and the treble although laid back, is full of sparkle and detail with great extension. Overall the sound signature is warm, yet spacious and revealing; Balanced with a touch body.  Doing an A/B test on the iPod remote cable and the standard straight cable, there was very little difference in sound quality with the exception that the straight cable is a tad louder.

I would like to get an aftermarket remote cable though as the one provided is a wee bit thin, and the upper portion that comes out of the metal housing has noticeable microphonics, and sometimes simply touching the metal remote housing will cause crackles and clicks.

beerchug.gif

i really think it depends on how loud people are listening to them, as stupid as this seems, hear me out

Imo i found that the bass is rather polite it is boosted and i can see it getting bloated and overwhelming as you turn up the volume or depending on what kind of amp your pumping them through

i had them just off my ipod touch 4th gen and i found them to be easily driven off of that i was only listening at 5-6/16 on the volume. so i can see that for those that listen louder these can get a bit messy.

that said i haven't looked at the distortion graphs on these momentums but in my experience, (correct me if i'm wrong) many gear whether its earphones or headphones, often times with low impedences can easily distort if you pump enough juice through them.

also with the fact the momentums don't have a the tightest bass control of the over ear cans out there. its okay i think 

anyone else care to explain what @DecentLevi is experiencing? other than faulty unit, which of course can be the case

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,313 of 3,594

i really think it depends on how loud people are listening to them, as stupid as this seems, hear me out

Imo i found that the bass is rather polite it is boosted and i can see it getting bloated and overwhelming as you turn up the volume or depending on what kind of amp your pumping them through

i had them just off my ipod touch 4th gen and i found them to be easily driven off of that i was only listening at 5-6/16 on the volume. so i can see that for those that listen louder these can get a bit messy.

that said i haven't looked at the distortion graphs on these momentums but in my experience, (correct me if i'm wrong) many gear whether its earphones or headphones, often times with low impedences can easily distort if you pump enough juice through them.

You are correct, and therefore agree. The Momentums are 'Made for iPod' through and through. I find using them even with my D1 the bass can get a little ugly; distorted and boomy. I listen to them on my iPod at a reasonable level, but find that using 'Sound Check' really helps control the bass. Interesting tidbit about the iPod Touch (and probably iPhone as well), the volume scaling is rather even and smooth up until about 70%ish, then it really jumps. Even with Sound Check, bass gets not so nice. To be fair though it still isn't that bad. Lord knows it can be worse.

beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #3,314 of 3,594
You are correct, and therefore agree. The Momentums are 'Made for iPod' through and through. I find using them even with my D1 the bass can get a little ugly; distorted and boomy. I listen to them on my iPod at a reasonable level, but find that using 'Sound Check' really helps control the bass. Interesting tidbit about the iPod Touch (and probably iPhone as well), the volume scaling is rather even and smooth up until about 70%ish, then it really jumps. Even with Sound Check, bass gets not so nice. To be fair though it still isn't that bad. Lord knows it can be worse.

:beerchug:

I think the problem was caused by the amplification indeed. He did mention that he used an amp. The momentum does not require further amplification because it's very effective and has a low impedence. Since the impedence is 18ohm, the output impedence of the amp should be 1/8 of that and it should be driven with a low gain setting.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #3,315 of 3,594

beerchug.gif

Can you explain how Sound Check helps control the bass? I'm having issues with the bass on my over ear versions; bit boomy and not tight enough. I don't want to sell them as I like a lot of things about these but as we all know sound is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back