Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Oct 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2,551 of 3,594
  The question is, with the eventual decrease in friction, will they slide around while on your head?  The way they sit on the head, I don't see this happening.  If they don't slide around while you're wearing them, then it really shouldn't matter.  

They shouldn't be that loose until they slide while you wear them. I don't have momentums but even a hd202 that is very worn out won't slide when you are actually wearing them, their earcups however do fall to their lowest position when you put them around your neck and walk around. (the constant clamping pressure of wearing them should add more friction to keep them in place.)

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,552 of 3,594
  They shouldn't be that loose until they slide while you wear them. I don't have momentums but even a hd202 that is very worn out won't slide when you are actually wearing them, their earcups however do fall to their lowest position when you put them around your neck and walk around. (the constant clamping pressure of wearing them should add more friction to keep them in place.)

That's what I was thinking.  So it shouldn't be an issue.  

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,553 of 3,594
I've owned the Momentum since January this year and I'm on to my 3rd pair, let me explain. I can confirm I never had slider issues, but then again, I never found myself having to put them into their case. With the first pair, I never used to lock the cable into the ear cup out of fear if it was to pull on something, it would damaged the ear cup. The consequence was after 6 months, I started hearing static in the left ear cup if there was any movement or twisting of the cable where the connection is. I got them replaced with a pair that had terribly mismatched drivers, with tinny sound out of the right ear cup, and impactful bass out of the left. I returned those a day later and I'm now onto my 3rd pair. My only complaint with these is the fact they came with a scratch on the stainless steel band out of the box but sonically they are perfect. Compared to the original batch, I would say some tweaking has happened as I feel these have slightly more top end detail and more controlled bass.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,554 of 3,594
I've owned the Momentum since January this year and I'm on to my 3rd pair, let me explain. I can confirm I never had slider issues, but then again, I never found myself having to put them into their case. With the first pair, I never used to lock the cable into the ear cup out of fear if it was to pull on something, it would damaged the ear cup. The consequence was after 6 months, I started hearing static in the left ear cup if there was any movement or twisting of the cable where the connection is. I got them replaced with a pair that had terribly mismatched drivers, with tinny sound out of the right ear cup, and impactful bass out of the left. I returned those a day later and I'm now onto my 3rd pair. My only complaint with these is the fact they came with a scratch on the stainless steel band out of the box but sonically they are perfect. Compared to the original batch, I would say some tweaking has happened as I feel these have slightly more top end detail and more controlled bass.

I owned them for 6months and use it daily from morning to night. They are pretty beat up and the sliding mechanism has losen overtime.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,556 of 3,594
Fair enough, I've been treating mine with TLC and they still malfunctioned. I may get them swapped out for the P7s if they are on par or better sonically.

The sliding mechanism is not a big deal to me, Comfort wise momentum is among the best( my ears can fit inside tough i have slightly long and big ears) .

Sonically, i don't think there are other headphone that is better than momentum, other than Kef m500, its about personal preference tough, some may like m100 vmoda, but I think the momentum is great as the sound is really as good as Hd600 or 650(surprise?) except that the sound stage is relatively small and congested. After burn-in period, I still think I enjoy the momentum the most than other expensive headphone out there..

Peace

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,557 of 3,594
The sliding mechanism is not a big deal to me, Comfort wise momentum is among the best( my ears can fit inside tough i have slightly long and big ears) .

Sonically, i don't think there are other headphone that is better than momentum, other than Kef m500, its about personal preference tough, some may like m100 vmoda, but I think the momentum is great as the sound is really as good as Hd600 or 650(surprise?) except that the sound stage is relatively small and congested. After burn-in period, I still think I enjoy the momentum the most than other expensive headphone out there..

Peace

i want to try the kef500 too, sorry being off topic,

they look amazing and i'm actually cool with the on ear style, the cushions look great! and it folds flat and up 

nice design imoo very nice 

but $ like the momentums i'm not ready to cough up the cash. my most expensive purchase is the re400s which i paid 119+ tax, and then the noontec zoros 105$

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,558 of 3,594
i want to try the kef500 too, sorry being off topic,

they look amazing and i'm actually cool with the on ear style, the cushions look great! and it folds flat and up 

nice design imoo very nice 

but $ like the momentums i'm not ready to cough up the cash. my most expensive purchase is the re400s which i paid 119+ tax, and then the noontec zoros 105$

If you gonna use it as portable, i think you'd try out yourself. If your ears doesn't fit the momentum then get the KEF500 but it is depending on what type of music you're listening to. If you gonna use it at home, save ur $ for HD600. :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,559 of 3,594
If you gonna use it as portable, i think you'd try out yourself. If your ears doesn't fit the momentum then get the KEF500 but it is depending on what time of music you're listening to. If you gonna use it at home, save ur $ for HD600.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have both and I agree the HD600 is what I use when the open back doesn't pose a problem, they sound fantastic but must be amped. A FiiO E12 does a great job of it. The Bass Boost switch works mostly way down low without affecting the rest of the audio and delivers a great sound when paired with the HD600.
IMO the stitching at the inner rim of the ear pads of the Momentum causes most of the discomfort. If they rub or press on your skin, after a while it becomes bothersome. If your ear makes it cleanly inside, you're golden.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,560 of 3,594
I have no comfort issues with the Momentum even though they are more on-ear in my case. They sound luscious and swapping them out for anything would be a huge decision on my part. I sold the Denon AH-D2000 after I got them because I felt they were less grainy, more impactful and did instrument separation better. My issue with headphones nowadays is when we talk about soundstage and instrument separation, companies substitute it with reverb/echo to create the effect without placement being done well. So while the Momentum has a slightly compressed soundstage, I honestly feel it does everything else perfectly. One of the few headphones I have listened to which close out the world around me because I am so deep in the music.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #2,561 of 3,594
So I just got a pair of over ear Momentums today and really, really love the sound, but... As the case with many others, the ear cups are slightly too small. Do the ear pads soften up after a while? Has anyone had the initial thought of 'these are too small...' and found that they became more comfortable with use? 

I was also interested in the B&W P7s and ran out to the Apple store to find they had one pair in stock, which I bought. After comparing the two, I prefer the Momentum's sound, but man... After around 45 minutes it's just torture on my outer ears!

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,562 of 3,594
So I just got a pair of over ear Momentums today and really, really love the sound, but... As the case with many others, the ear cups are slightly too small. Do the ear pads soften up after a while? Has anyone had the initial thought of 'these are too small...' and found that they became more comfortable with use? 

I was also interested in the B&W P7s and ran out to the Apple store to find they had one pair in stock, which I bought. After comparing the two, I prefer the Momentum's sound, but man... After around 45 minutes it's just torture on my outer ears!

I am definitely one of those people. They were a bit tough on my ears out of the box but after a week of use, they softened up and the clamping pressure reduced. They are still comfy for me even though they are on-ear in my case. If they are not comfortable for you by in a week to 2 maximum, then you should consider returning them.

Out of curiosity, why did you learn towards the Momentums more than the P7's?

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,563 of 3,594
I am definitely one of those people. They were a bit tough on my ears out of the box but after a week of use, they softened up and the clamping pressure reduced. They are still comfy for me even though they are on-ear in my case. If they are not comfortable for you by in a week to 2 maximum, then you should consider returning them.

Out of curiosity, why did you learn towards the Momentums more than the P7's?

It's very close between the Momentums and P7s. It's hard to make a call at this time, as I've only had both for a few hours and am still evaluating. My general thoughts are pretty on point with what's been said in reviews and impressions, mainly that the Momentums have more detail and punchier bass, while the P7s feel more airy, have a wider soundstage and deeper sub bass. I'm finding that generally I'm finding myself preferring the detail of the Momentum, but it's still too early to call for me. Both are really excellent.

Having said that the real deal-breaker for me is still comfort. The P7s are FAR more comfortable. The Momentums are just on the cusp of being too small for me. The big question is seemingly going to come down to how the Momentums break in and if I still prefer their sound in a week or so.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2,564 of 3,594
It's very close between the Momentums and P7s. It's hard to make a call at this time, as I've only had both for a few hours and am still evaluating. My general thoughts are pretty on point with what's been said in reviews and impressions, mainly that the Momentums have more detail and punchier bass, while the P7s feel more airy, have a wider soundstage and deeper sub bass. I'm finding that generally I'm finding myself preferring the detail of the Momentum, but it's still too early to call for me. Both are really excellent.

Having said that the real deal-breaker for me is still comfort. The P7s are FAR more comfortable. The Momentums are just on the cusp of being too small for me. The big question is seemingly going to come down to how the Momentums break in and if I still prefer their sound in a week or so.

The momentum has a slightly wide-band Bass impact that is impactful but transparent, And the mid range is lush! Little rolled off on the treble. Basically its good for all genre , will do on music like "Micheal Buble" "Coldplay" "linkin park". But one thing that I have to complain is their soundstage is rather small and when you turn up the volume to relatively loud, you will lose all the detail but this is where the Momentum become enjoyable and emotional.

When I'm home I will use Hd600 or Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, momentum is just feel good when used outside(train,bus,walking) .The name itself "Momentum" has a strong musical meaning. So try it outside to the coast rather than using it at your couch.

Peace!

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,565 of 3,594

Interesting hearing your thoughts. So other than the Momentums having punchier bass, your feedback leads me to believe the P7's will be more like the M100's than the Momentums, even though I expected it to be more aligned with the latter. If that ends up being the case, I will stick with my current 2 headphones as the M100s are a robust choice even though the P7's look stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back