Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Jul 5, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #331 of 581
After having these for a little while now, I have mixed feelings. I don't mind a v-shape but these take it a little too far. Too much bass, too few mids, and too much treble. However, that's what they're supposed to do. Give the general consumer an exciting EQ'd sound for modern music, and the style and comfort is really top notch along with build quality. Also I found these quite detailed, despite the unnatural sound. So kudos to Senn for that. I'm gonna keep these as they are a great portable that works great with popular music and on the go I just listen to streaming services and they sound good straight from my phone and don't make a mess out of lower bitrate tracks. Even **** Pandora doesn't sound bad on these. I'm used to the darker Senn sound so these were quite a surprise. However I do think my Senn 239 are better in every sense and they're a lot cheaper. Of course they're open so that's not even an apt comparison but worth noting. At msrp the MOE are just too much, but at the cheaper deals some of us have gotten I think it's a fair proposition.

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #332 of 581
I'm happy with mine after EQ for $129. I just went on a long walk and listened to all of Opeth's "Blackwater Park" and a couple King Crimson songs and it was very enjoyable. I am able to get them sounding just the way I want with the 4 band PEQ that Neutron music player offers. Knock the bass way down, bring up the mids centered at 4K, and bring down the 7-8K area a little bit and these are a whole different headphone. They work very well with my Galaxy S4, they actually get plenty loud at only 60% volume. It's nice not needing to carry a bulky external dac/amplifier.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #333 of 581
 At msrp the MOE are just too much, but at the cheaper deals some of us have gotten I think it's a fair proposition.

Meh. I somewhat disagree. The design and build quality alone warrant the higher price tag, but I do agree if you can find them sub $200 grab them! Read below about making the MOE's mids shine. 

I'm happy with mine after EQ for $129. I just went on a long walk and listened to all of Opeth's "Blackwater Park" and a couple King Crimson songs and it was very enjoyable. I am able to get them sounding just the way I want with the 4 band PEQ that Neutron music player offers. Knock the bass way down, bring up the mids centered at 4K, and bring down the 7-8K area a little bit and these are a whole different headphone. They work very well with my Galaxy S4, they actually get plenty loud at only 60% volume. It's nice not needing to carry a bulky external dac/amplifier.

That is why I keep pushing for iOS users to download Accudio and apply the MOE settings. What you just described is what GoldenEars did to balance the MOE. Kudos to you for essentially nailing it. I agree 100%; when balanced the MOE are a whole new animal and sound (more) amazing.

beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #334 of 581

Meh. I somewhat disagree. The design and build quality alone warrant the higher price tag, but I do agree if you can find them sub $200 grab them! Read below about making the MOE's mids shine. 

That is why I keep pushing for iOS users to download Accudio and apply the MOE settings. What you just described is what GoldenEars did to balance the MOE. Kudos to you for essentially nailing it. I agree 100%; when balanced the MOE are a whole new animal and sound (more) amazing.

beerchug.gif

Un-EQ'ed I think these are pretty bad, waaaay to much bass, and the mids are way too distant. Kind of reminds me of the Klipsch S4 in ear monitors but without the harshness in the treble. Marketed to the mass public, they may be fine, but for us "audiophiles" or "audio enthusiasts" they are not voiced correctly. The design is awesome and the comfort is good. I don't have an IOS device, so I can't say anything for Accudio, but if it pretty much does the same thing as my EQ changes, then it should make these sound pretty close to neutral or at least a whole lot closer. They at least sound "natural" now. I'm not sure I'd want a flat sounding headphone for portable use anyway. This is close enough that when I go home and listen to the same songs on my speakers at home it still sounds like the same song. 

After my EQ changes, the bass sounds nice and tight and punchy, but still digs deep when there is deep bass present in the recording. The sub-bass on these is great, but the overall bass is no longer overblown. At least they were tuned to have huge, but linear bass. It could have been much worse and had a huge mid-bass hump, but this is not the case. The response from about 125hz and lower all the way down as a whole is just too much, but I think it's a lot easier to compensate for this than it would be for a massive mid-bass hump or spike. After my EQ there is still plenty of ample clean linear bass response.

With my settings the mids still may be back a bit from neutral, but that helps to give these some soundstage depth and it helps them to not be fatiguing. Vocals no longer sound a mile away anymore though. Guitars in metal sound nice and crunchy now as well. The cut I made at 7-8Khz helps to reduce some nastyness there as well.

On the top end I still give them another 3dB from 10Khz and up for some added sparkle. Overall I think they actually sound very detailed now. They are good at low to moderate volume levels.

Again, if I had no way to EQ these they would be getting returned, but after playing with EQ a bit I have them sounding just the way I want them. I am happy for the $130 I spent on them. I can't say how thrilled I am to have a truly portable headphone, one that doesn't need any additional amplification other than what my Galaxy S4 provides. I think the fact that I am cutting the bass helps with headroom. When amps run out of juice the bass is usually the culprit, with these being sensitive in the bass, I think that actually helps. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #335 of 581
After two weeks with them I can say:

I like a lot the sound, they are just what I was looking for in terms of sound, some bassy but not too much and that it doesn't interfere with the rest of the sounds. I've been listening to many genres and overall I'm quite satisfied. My only problem is I find them uncomfortable for long wear. I use them at work and:

1. I don't know the leakage when putted on. I've heard them putted off and they make a lot of noise so I don't know if my colleagues hear what I'm hearing.
2. I wear glasses. After 1 hour of listening my left ear (I don't know why the left one only) starts to hurt
3. After 2 hours the band in the head starts to feel really uncomfortable and the pain in the ear unbearable.

Good for use from time to time but not for long sessions at work, at least if you wear glasses.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #336 of 581
  1. I don't know the leakage when putted on. I've heard them putted off and they make a lot of noise so I don't know if my colleagues hear what I'm hearing.
2. I wear glasses. After 1 hour of listening my left ear (I don't know why the left one only) starts to hurt
3. After 2 hours the band in the head starts to feel really uncomfortable and the pain in the ear unbearable.

Good for use from time to time but not for long sessions at work, at least if you wear glasses.

1) How close are you to your co-workers? Unless they are the type who like to complain, sound leakage is not a problem. Just for you (and my own curiosity) I had my wife wear the MOE, stood back about a meter, put on a loud track (Type-O Negative) and cranked the iPod volume to 75%. While you technically can hear sound, it is about as loud as a pair of earbuds out-of-ear.

2) I wear glasses, and I found that after pad break-in the tops of the outside of my ears no longer hurt after lengthly listening sessions. Also, a tip if you want to stretch out the headband; Place the MOE on (over?) the travel case when not in use.

3) I don't mean to be Captain Obvious , but why not take a break every so often. 2 hours straight of using anything is going to be strenuous.

beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #337 of 581
I have no issues with people at work complaining about sound leakage.
I found that after some head time the pads definitely got better (I too wear glasses. I find simply adjusting them or taking them off for a minute or so at worst is enough to give my ears a rest.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #338 of 581
How do they compare to the AKG-K240 Studio? I know they are very different from each other (one being a circumaural full size, the other being a portable on ear), but I am wondering if anyone has A/B'd them and what their findings were. I currently own the K240, but I have a pair of MOE's coming in the mail. I plan on keeping the AKG's as my home listening pair, and using the MOEs for travel, but if the MOEs sound way better, I might end up getting rid of the AKGs (although I would hate to, I haven't even got a chance to hear them amplified yet). Anyone here own both of these and can offer a comparison? I will be running both of them un-amplified, straight out of the source (PC, Realtek HD audio or iPhone 5) if that helps anyone with my question.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #339 of 581
MOEs will give you the low bass that 240 cannot hope to, for starters.  They're so different,but you will probably like 240's midrange and treble a little better.
Have you considered upgrading that K240 to K612 later?

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #340 of 581
My MOE's arrived today, I haven't listened to them much yet, outside testing to make sure everything works as it should. I will post impressions once I get enough playtime on them to give a fair opinion. As far as upgrading my K240 Studio's, I'm not sure what I will get next. I am currently between jobs so my money situation probably won't allow me to get any gear in the next few months (hopefully I find something soon). I think my next major audio purchase is going to be an amp/DAC, hopefully an all in one so I don't have to buy two separate (and subsequently spend more) devices. Plus from what I've gathered, if I want to upgrade my K240 into something better/stronger, I will likely need an amplifier and a DAC to make good use of whatever I upgrade to. As far as the K612, I haven't looked too much into it, but it seems to be a great pair for the price. I looked on amazon, and right now it's $200 which seems like a pretty damn good bargain. The sets I was considering upgrading to are the Sennheiser HD-600/650 because it seems a HUGE percentage of Head-Fi and elsewhere, seem to swear by these headphones. It will likely be a while though, and who knows what will be around when I finally do get the money for a 'fancier' pair of headphones. I will probably try and find a local store (I live in CT, but NYC isn't too far, maybe an hour or 2 away) and test out a bunch of headphones before I drop serious dough on them. I will keep the K612 in mind though, as I love the AKG style and sound so far.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #341 of 581
You will love K612 if you ever try it.
HD6x0 are different beasts from AKGs, they're certainly worth trying, but if you end up unsatisfied with them, you can't go wrong with 612 as you say you already love AKG's style, maybe even K712.
I have the discontinued K601, the 612 is supposed to be a slightly bassier version of it, and it is what K240 would strive to become if it were to "evolve" into a better headphone.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #343 of 581
In case anyone is looking for a deal on these.

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/sennheiser-momentum-on-ear-headphones-3?ref=cnt_wp_4_3

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #344 of 581
Are these better then the hd 558 for pop and country music on the iPhone?

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #345 of 581
No, but if you want something more compact and with much more bass, the Momentum On-ear will probably make you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back