Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Aug 18, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #541 of 581
Well that's sad.

I own a Motorola Moto G with Android 5.1

The stock, apple certified cable only allows for play and pause. I cant take call or hang up using the remote, and the microphone does not work. Volume up and down does not work either.

So I bought the RCG M2 cable from Sennheiser. This is an alternative cable, made by Sennheiser, for Android devices.

With the RCG M2, only the microphone works. I can't play and pause. The volume does not work. I can't take call or hang up.

Any of you have different experiences with these cables, using different phones? At this point I'm considering either throwing my hands up and buying and iPhone. The RCG M2 says it's designed for Samsung Galaxy phones, so that would be my next option. Though I'd like to try the remote with a Galaxy before buying one.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #542 of 581
Question for the Momentum fans: Do you find, as I have, that they're quite difficult to drive with a mobile phone (HTC M9 in my case)?--my V-Moda M80s are much louder at the same volume level. Would changing/upgrading the cable help (I'm using a generic after-market cable)?
Thanks in advance for you input

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #543 of 581
The cable won't make a difference unless it is quite damaged/oxidized.
Momentum on-ear or over-ear is pretty efficient, see if you can compare it to another Momentum to make sure yours is not faulty somehow.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #544 of 581
  The cable won't make a difference unless it is quite damaged/oxidized.
Momentum on-ear or over-ear is pretty efficient, see if you can compare it to another Momentum to make sure yours is not faulty somehow.

I find my Amperior to be more efficient than the MOE. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #545 of 581
  Question for the Momentum fans: Do you find, as I have, that they're quite difficult to drive with a mobile phone (HTC M9 in my case)?--my V-Moda M80s are much louder at the same volume level. Would changing/upgrading the cable help (I'm using a generic after-market cable)?
Thanks in advance for you input

Loomis, my iPhone 6 drives my MOE's as loud as I need them. Out of curiosity I had just charged my old iPhone 4 up that I use with my Tomahawk on the MOE's just because it fills in the bass ever so slightly but for this I just tested the headphone out and like my iPhone 6 the iPhone 4 can drive my MOE's just as well. Like I said I like the RS on them because it does enhance the bass just a little (I can overdrive them in high gain)
eek.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #546 of 581

I find my Amperior to be more efficient than the MOE. 

Amperior is more efficient than any on-ear/portable over-ear in existence at 120dB sensitivity and 18 ohms, hahaha.  Only in-ears are generally that efficient.  I dislike that a lot about Amperior.  I can barely crank up the volume at all before it goes too loud for me, or on certain devices, I'm stuck using the very beginning of the volume potentiometer, where pots generally have channel imbalance unless the manufacturer cherry-picked the pot, which is uncommon due to the cost of buying tons of pots just to pick out the few perfect ones in the batch.

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #547 of 581
Just received a set of the Momentum On-Ears. I was a little worried after reading reports of clamping pressure and needing to stretch the headband for larger heads like mine. I actually found them to be almost too LOOSE and will be seeing what I can do about tightening the fit, I feel as though a slightly vigorous shake will send them flying off my head! These are my first on-ears though so maybe I was expecting the same kind of pressure as over-ears? I guess my next commute I'll see how things go, very excited to try them out!

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #548 of 581
Yep agree, they do not clamp tight for me. You kinda have to bend the headband to adjust for a good fit. Have them for about 6 months and have found that they "shine" with a bit of amping. I hook them up to my old trusted ipod classic with a fiio killmanjaro 2 amp when travelling and this negates the clamping issues. I do find though that i have to do little adjustments on the MOE'S while listening. Hope you enjoy them.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #549 of 581
Thank you! I'll have a fiddle with the headband until it feels more secure. I am yet to get into amps as I've previously mostly stuck to IEMs, but will definitely consider it for this :)

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #550 of 581
well, since nobody else seemed to have the same problem driving their momentums with a mobile device, i did switch to an "upgraded" cable ($19  from seller "caiyanni88" on ebay). to my surprise (i've always been a cable skeptic), it's a night-and-day difference--the volume is markedly louder, with more presence throughout. the momentums are still not quite as efficient as the v-modas (or my kid's beats solo), though the sq is markedly superior. i appreciate everyone's input and advise.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #551 of 581
I purchased a pair of Momentum On-Ear yesterday.
The quality of the product is just superb, and yes the sound quality is fantastic.
However, I do like my music to have a touch more Bass and I found these Momentums to be slightly lacking there. Too neutral for me.
I also found that when powered by a smart phone (iPhone 6 or similar), they don't have that much power. Yes there is enough but I also like to have a little more in case you want to push them.

I have a pair of Momentum In Ear which I prefer due to the increased Bass presence (probably due to the correct tips being used and improved isolation).

Chris

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #552 of 581
  I purchased a pair of Momentum On-Ear yesterday.
The quality of the product is just superb, and yes the sound quality is fantastic.
However, I do like my music to have a touch more Bass and I found these Momentums to be slightly lacking there. Too neutral for me.
I also found that when powered by a smart phone (iPhone 6 or similar), they don't have that much power. Yes there is enough but I also like to have a little more in case you want to push them.

I have a pair of Momentum In Ear which I prefer due to the increased Bass presence (probably due to the correct tips being used and improved isolation).

Chris

I think like you said the increased isolation of the in ears is probably what your finding gives you the impression of more bass

the momentum on ears doesn't have that really solid bass punch, I think your looking for, it was a bit too uneven for me.

in regards to power, an iphone should be able to drive these very easily (but again this is all relative) if you want more power through them you are reaching dangerous levels, mind you.

these are very sensitive headphones with very low impedance.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #553 of 581
Have the MOE'S, I find them a bit "blah". Sound wise they don't really shine through the freq range. Play around with the fit via headband and earcups. I hook mine to the tiny Fiio external amp, sorry can't remember the name but they retail for around €30.00. This adds an extra "kick" via my iphone. I know this advise is not very scientific but it does help.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #554 of 581
  Have the MOE'S, I find them a bit "blah". Sound wise they don't really shine through the freq range. Play around with the fit via headband and earcups. I hook mine to the tiny Fiio external amp, sorry can't remember the name but they retail for around €30.00. This adds an extra "kick" via my iphone. I know this advise is not very scientific but it does help.

That's what makes this hobby so great, I love my MOE's especially with a little amp power on them and I've not had any bass issues
wink_face.gif

Either pair
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back