Sennheiser Momentum In-Ears Review by mark2410
Nov 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #46 of 107
  Thank you again for your prompt reply. I purchased a 3-pack set of Comply S 200s. The hole is too big, and they do not stay on the ear buds. The 100s are too small. The 400s and 500s also seem too big. Guess I'll try other manufacturers, although I am happier since I switched to the largest set of silicone tips included with the Momentum.

Regardless, and I do not have the fine ear for acoustics that you do, I am thrilled with the sound these in-ear headphones produce. Listening to 24-bit 96 kHz FLAC files of vinyl rips gave me the chills, the sound is so good!

oh.  well thats a bugger.  i really thought the 200 would do it.  i still have not a clue what the foam ones i used came off either..

How would you compare the MIE to the IE8/80 in terms of sound quality? And does this justify their price difference?

the IE8/80 smash the Momentums.  the Momentum is really bassy, big and rich, bit subdued highs.  the 8 is V shaped monster with both bass and treble to die for.  quite different beasts but side by side the 8 is a true top tier IEM and the Momentum, while a really nice product and gets your most of the way to the top, when you jump all the way you notice the difference.  its especially noticable in the treble, the momentums treble is a bit so so, the IE8's is one of the very best trebles out there.

NB:  the IE8 will be considerably less forgiving to bad bit rates, mastering or rubbish DAP's.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #47 of 107
thanks for your thorough review! i have just a quick question. 

Quote from @mark2410

Maybe a not quite up to daily Tube use

and 
Not really daily Tube commute worthy but close

why do you say this? is the Tube particularly noisy in comparison to the Chicago L for example? for reference the L is similar if a little quieter than the nyc subway, yet not nearly as quiet as the Metro in DC. anyway i'm trying to sort out exactly what you mean by these statements, as i'd get the Momentum specifically for my public transit commute.

cheers,
-c

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #48 of 107
Interesting review. I was seriously looking at trying the Momentum in-ears, but I think I would have a problem with the bass. I'm use to bass that comes from armature-designed in-ears so the Momentums might overwhelm me. Still, it would be nice to find a pair a armature-sounding OEM's with a slightly more prominent bass.

Thanks for the review.

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #49 of 107
oh.  well thats a bugger.  i really thought the 200 would do it.  i still have not a clue what the foam ones i used came off either..

the IE8/80 smash the Momentums.  the Momentum is really bassy, big and rich, bit subdued highs.  the 8 is V shaped monster with both bass and treble to die for.  quite different beasts but side by side the 8 is a true top tier IEM and the Momentum, while a really nice product and gets your most of the way to the top, when you jump all the way you notice the difference.  its especially noticable in the treble, the momentums treble is a bit so so, the IE8's is one of the very best trebles out there.

NB:  the IE8 will be considerably less forgiving to bad bit rates, mastering or rubbish DAP's.

Thanks! And is there a difference in bass quantity between them? And I assume both have more bass quantity than the XBA H3, is that right? (don't know if you've heard the XBA H3)

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #50 of 107
  thanks for your thorough review! i have just a quick question. 

and 

why do you say this? is the Tube particularly noisy in comparison to the Chicago L for example? for reference the L is similar if a little quieter than the nyc subway, yet not nearly as quiet as the Metro in DC. anyway i'm trying to sort out exactly what you mean by these statements, as i'd get the Momentum specifically for my public transit commute.

cheers,
-c

well i use the Tube as a benchmark because i know it and many others will too.  i really cannot say with certainty for any other systems but certainty most Tube lines are LOUD.  just far and away, easily the loudest "normal" activity that i would see people encountering regularly.  i would think that other enclosed transport systems would also be loud but as to how loud one is to the other, well i dont know.   a quick google shows that the Tube as sound peaks just edging over 120db.
Thanks! And is there a difference in bass quantity between them? And I assume both have more bass quantity than the XBA H3, is that right? (don't know if you've heard the XBA H3)

well ive not heard the sony but given its a BA i cannot for one second imagin its anywhere close.  dynamics can move a lot of air, BA just dont.  as for the two senns well they are close.  the 8 rolls off that bit earlier andthe momentum goes further but is comparatively much softer.  the momentum has really good bass but there is a reason that when the 8 came out people went nuts over it.  its bass is big and on another level to most things, and that includes the Momentum.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #55 of 107
I picked up a pair of these as soon as Amazon had them in stock. I loved them at first listen, but I do prefer warmer sound sigs and bass in my phones. The one thing I haven't done is burn them in, which I read in another review really makes these iems that much better. The fit and finish is great for the price, and I get a fantastic seal very easily. I'd like to try some different tips though, and I've been trying to hunt down some spinfit tips to try. The remote works perfectly w my Note 3. I'll try to post more when I burn them in for a few hours and have a listen with my C5D.

I will say that as much as I love them, they can't even hold a candle to the natural warm sound and spaciousness of my woodies (FX850). The woodies are easily my favorite iems that I've owned so far in a long list of entry to mid level ones.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #56 of 107
Would these be a worthy upgrade from the SoundMagic E10's? Really liking the look of these as an Upgrade.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #57 of 107
One possible avenue for alternative tips: Monster Gel and Foam SuperTip Sampler Starter Kit found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTip-Sampler-Starter/dp/B003TFEHMA/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_6_J9XD?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GY6KA9J019YDC5YD00R

Image:

Sorry if the plastic shell casings on all these don't meet your wishes...the principle is what I mean if you don't like these, do a google search for earphone tips...which of course you'd thought of already too.
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #58 of 107
  Would these be a worthy upgrade from the SoundMagic E10's? Really liking the look of these as an Upgrade.

not heard the E10 but i would certainly expect so.

so i take it no one has ever come up with what those tips i used came from?  sadly i still have no clue what they came off.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #59 of 107
Well I bought them...and didn't like them much. Couldn't get an ideal fit when walking around. Cable noise was appalling. The bass was fantastic, but at the expense of the rest.
My overall feeling was they weren't worth £80. They were okay but not wow. I've sent them back and ordered the RHA MA750i. Here's hoping they suit me better.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #60 of 107
This thread is often about timing and having a good data plan on my phone for internet access on demand...there I was yesterday at ISIS in Singapore trying all manner of hi fi show products (HD800's, A&K 240's Hugo Chords, ridiculous speaker set ups etc etc) including the Senny Momentums, the over ear models and asking about their IEMS. Fortunately....they are not yet released in this market. So I bought a pair of Fischer Consonance V1.'s that had a good review as clear, good bass, mid and highs, and now I can say thankfully, a good choice for the SGD$68 (30% off) I paid for them.

I continue to enjoy the over-ear Momentums as an everyday over the ear type, but for now, its cool.

The Fiio Fujiyama EO6 ultra mini headphone amp, provides some nice power to the experience, and at SGD$35 it seems like the easy way to enter this market.

Aren't hifi shows great!

etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back