Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #226 of 931
They sound super with the fiio X3! Wished the momentum was more portable, now I'm always carrying a man-bag with me everywhere, just so I could bring the case with me. Nevertheless, the momentums really hit the spot for me as far as portables go. Thank you sennheiser! :D

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #227 of 931
  They do favour bass but then I think this is what I prefer.

I'm no bass head and I prefer them too.

Next, mids are very laid back (again compared to ATH-ESW9), highs have more sparkle while bass is comparable. Overall SQ is quite engaging... Would like to compare these to Philips L1 at some stage.

L1 <> Momentum = no contest in my eyes, seriously dislike the Philips phones: too much closed sound and leaking of frequencies for my taste, but of course many people do like them. My sound impressions were pretty much the same though, Smooth overal, well defined and controlled bass/high's, very engaging. I do believe they sound better with a good amp, but they sounded great straight out of my iPhone 4 as well.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #229 of 931
Could anyone provide the earpad dimensions on the momentum? Specifically the height and width of the outer and inner edges of earpads. Thanks! :wink:

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #230 of 931
Hey guys, i picked up some over ear momentums a few days ago as general out and about/gym/office headphones and am very impressed so far. I do most of my (home) listening with HD650's through a WA6 amp. I hooked up the momentums to the WA6 and as you might imagine the sound was considerably improved. The soundstage widened, there was greater seperation of instruments, deeper tighter bass and improved clarity. I am considering getting a Ray Samuels Audio Mustang P-51 for mobile usage. Has anyone got an experience withis pairing? Interested to hear your views.

I do enjoy the headphones out of the box and they do indeed have a bass bump compared to the 650's but it works well on the right sort of music - for classical I prefer a flatter presentation - for rock music and that sort of thing its a lot of fun :). Anyway, very early days yet as they won't be properly burn't in yet but looking forward to exploring them more with various types of music. They do seem like a very good all round 'phone for mobile use in my humble opinion.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #231 of 931
Can anyone here give me a comparison between the original Sennheiser Momentums and the new On-Ear Momentums?

I was on a mission today to try out some Sennheiser Momentums at my local audio supplies shop.
It's true, everything everyone is saying (I'm a believer HALLELUJAH) It's really a beautiful set of headphones with the exact type of sound I was looking for with all of the comfort I need for my lifestyle, but the beauty of these headphones just left me with more questions.

The big question is now,

What is the difference between the sound of the classic Momentums and their brand new On-Ear Momentums?
Has anyone listened to both? Are the on-ears comparable to the originals? Is there a BIG difference? Are the on-ears more comfortable because they are lighter weight than the larger size?
The originals will cost me around $311 and the On-ears will be about $230.

I know the original Momentums are worth the price, but what about the on-ears? Which is a better investment in your opinion? I don't record or dj or mix. It would just be for my personal listening pleasure, but I'm sick of settling for the sound quality of "the average consumer"
I've heard the best and now I want it.

Thank you so much for your input!

-Carli

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #232 of 931
I bought my (brown) Momentums 3 days ago from ebay for a £130 which was a BARGIN!

I am going to be selling my AKG Q701's in the next few days as I've come to realise the AKG sound actually isn't for me. I owned the K550's too and had the same problems i.e too much treble and not enough bass and the 701's have an unnaturally large soundstage that made, especially rock music sound...all wrong).

So, my question is can anyone compare the Momentums with the HD650? Am I right in thinking the 600's are similar to the 701's in terms of flatness and the 650's have a more pronounced bass and backed off treble, just like the Momentums do?

I have an Arcam rPAC for an amp plugged into my iMac running Spotify. How much difference could I expect to hear from the 650's or would it just be a waste of my hard-earned? 

Also, just for the record...my only issue with the Momentums are the ear cup size and the left ear in particular is very uncomfortable after about 30mins which is a bloody shame and possibly the reason I would sell them for the 650's.

Thanks for any replies.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #233 of 931
  I bought my (brown) Momentums 3 days ago from ebay for a £130 which was a BARGIN!

I am going to be selling my AKG Q701's in the next few days as I've come to realise the AKG sound actually isn't for me. I owned the K550's too and had the same problems i.e too much treble and not enough bass and the 701's have an unnaturally large soundstage that made, especially rock music sound...all wrong).

So, my question is can anyone compare the Momentums with the HD650? Am I right in thinking the 600's are similar to the 701's in terms of flatness and the 650's have a more pronounced bass and backed off treble, just like the Momentums do?

I have an Arcam rPAC for an amp plugged into my iMac running Spotify. How much difference could I expect to hear from the 650's or would it just be a waste of my hard-earned? 

Also, just for the record...my only issue with the Momentums are the ear cup size and the left ear in particular is very uncomfortable after about 30mins which is a bloody shame and possibly the reason I would sell them for the 650's.

Thanks for any replies.

The 650 has even more "backed off treble" than the Momentum - I could not stand what some call a "veil" so I sold them off.   The treble on the Momentum is perfect for my tastes.  The mid bass is about the same, but the Momentums have a little more sub bass.   

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #234 of 931
Wow...even more backed off treble? I can't imagine how that could be a good thing at all. I certainly wouldn't want any less for my tastes, if anything I'd like the tiniest fraction more! It's 'just about' perfect for me too. 

I know I'm in the right ball park with these but I don't think I can justify the extra outlay for a home-only headphone. At least I can wear these Momentums anywhere...and take my pain with me!

Why oh why didn't you make the ear pads just a fraction bigger Sennheiser??

Thanks for the reply, I'll try and put the 650's out of my mind now!

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #235 of 931
  I am going to be selling my AKG Q701's in the next few days as I've come to realise the AKG sound actually isn't for me.

Was same here until I bass modded them as per Q701 Appreciation thread (easy to do).
I have Momentums and HD650 but I use them in different situations, Momentum - work, to cut out background noise; HD650 - home, for general listening. They are seldom in the same place so I have not really AB'd them, but I do like them both. I didn't think I would find a closed can I would like but there was a 30% off Sennheiser 2-day special and I couldn't resist the Momentum, don't regret it, certainly never regretted buying HD650 (3 years ago).

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #236 of 931
Well thats opened a can of worms!

From what I've read, opening those holes up in the 701's should make them sound on a par with the 650's? What I don't want is a larger soundstage. I'm finding that from doing an AB with the 701 and Momentums is that the AKG's kind of split each instrument into it's own section (I read this somewhere but think it's extremely accurate) and the Momentums present almost as much information but mingle it all together to make a glorious 'whole' which is, as far as the actual music is concerned, more enjoyable. I do love hearing the AKG presentation but find myself analysing as opposed to enjoying, if that makes sense? 

Will the 650's be the best of both worlds or am I, like everyone else on here, trying to find that non-existent headphone that will do it all?

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #237 of 931
I should receive my Momentum black tomorrow. Can you guys suggest a soft pouch case (like the one of the on-ear model...) to carry them in a soft backpack/bag?
I really don't want to carry everyday the original hardcase...

Do you think that something like this will be enough?

http://www.ebay.it/itm/SOFT-PULL-DRAW-STRING-CARRY-CASE-BAG-POUCH-FOR-HEADPHONES-EARPHONES-IPOD-NANO-/111086457850?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19dd44d3fa

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #239 of 931
I've had my Momentums for about 5 months now and every time I listen to them they amaze me. I came from the Bose QC15's which were my first real headphones in my opinion (was on the new skullcandy ink'd every 3 months before that) and the Momentums really opened me up to what good sound really sounds like. Not saying the Bose were bad but the Senns were just that much better. Listening to Lights Acoustic album right now and loving it!

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #240 of 931

Nah, the 600's are a completely different ballgame compared to the AKG's. I don't even believe the K550's to be on the same level as the 600's and 701, listened to three of them and it they were all terrible; muddy, unfocused, frequencies leaking all over the place... Allas, I tend to think the 600's to be kind of dark but smooth and refined in the mid sections. The 650's in my opinion add a bit of bass, but it's a sacking skin kind of bass, not punchy well endowed or elastic. And because it only adds to the darkness and veil-ness of an already dark and veiled sound I do believe the treble to be even less present. Also some people talk about the scaleability of the 600's; I prefer to think of it as the need to be well driven. I kind of liked the 600's from a simple set up or straight from a headphone out, but I really began enjoying these plugged into higher graded equipment. The momentum sounds great out of my Macbook but it definitely benefits from a good dac/amp. I have an HD580 and it's way less comfortable than the Momentum on my ears. The pads on the 600's aren't super spacious and the clamping force is killing. Have you tried different adjustment levels on the ear cups for longer periods yet? I find it to be useful sometimes.
  I'm finding that from doing an AB with the 701 and Momentums is that the AKG's kind of split each instrument into it's own section (I read this somewhere but think it's extremely accurate) and the Momentums present almost as much information but mingle it all together to make a glorious 'whole' which is, as far as the actual music is concerned, more enjoyable. I do love hearing the AKG presentation but find myself analysing as opposed to enjoying, if that makes sense? 

Will the 650's be the best of both worlds or am I, like everyone else on here, trying to find that non-existent headphone that will do it all?

This makes a bunch of sense in my book; but I've got both kinds of phones, and changing between the two types can be a lot of fun too. I'd suggest checking the quality of your music (Samplefreq, Bitfreq, etc..) and to search for an amp that goes well with your Momentum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back