Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Feb 8, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #916 of 931
How do you find the tonal balance of the 650 to the momentums?
I assume less bass? How about the midrange and treble ? How do they compare?
The Momentum sounds pretty much the same with almost any gear while the HD650 does sound different with the various amps that I have so I'd say that a well driven HD650 (BH Crack) has slightly more extended bass that is cleaner and more detailed, mids that are a touch more forward than the Momentum and highs that are slightly more extended and smoother.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #917 of 931
I don't have the numbers but the 650's are less efficient and a more difficult load for an amp.
650 takes a good muscular amp with a low output impedance to sound it's best and most accurate.

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #919 of 931
I don't have the numbers but the 650's are less efficient and a more difficult load for an amp.
650 takes a good muscular amp with a low output impedance to sound it's best and most accurate.
I've found the hd650 best on high impedance OTL amps, but they do sound decent on a friends Jot, but a bit different to.
I can't use my Momentum with my home system. They sound lifeless out of my receiver. I love them with my DAP though.

I think your home system receiver headphone jack is a bit higher output impedance, my Sony ES receiver drives my hd650 quite well but doesn't do well with any planar headphones which I reason is due to the receiver headphone jack having a medium to high output impedance

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #920 of 931
Coming from a person that doesn't see much use in amps, portable ones especially... Hah, the V.1 Momentum suffers greatly from weak sources, my old iPhone 5s being a prime example. I don't know if the problem was OI or what, but my Fiio E7 just sounded way better in comparison. Bass guitar notes going below 100hz just got lost without amping, no definition or playback.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #921 of 931
I've found the hd650 best on high impedance OTL amps, but they do sound decent on a friends Jot, but a bit different to.
I don't doubt you find the sound with that amp to be pleasant, but if the response was measured I'm pretty sure you would find it quite inaccurate from what Senn designers had in mind.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #922 of 931
I don't doubt you find the sound with that amp to be pleasant, but if the response was measured I'm pretty sure you would find it quite inaccurate from what Senn designers had in mind.
I find your comment a bit puzzling since I don't think the HD650 was designed for low impedance amps since many of the better amps when the HD650 as released were higher OTL amps IIRC

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #923 of 931
Coming from a person that doesn't see much use in amps, portable ones especially... Hah, the V.1 Momentum suffers greatly from weak sources, my old iPhone 5s being a prime example. I don't know if the problem was OI or what, but my Fiio E7 just sounded way better in comparison. Bass guitar notes going below 100hz just got lost without amping, no definition or playback.

This makes absolutely zero sense to me at all. The Momentums are specifically designed for use out of a portable device, mainly iDevices such as the iPod or iPhone. As an proud owner of the 1st gen. Momentums and have been using the daily since 1 month after their launch, I have paired them with devices such as the Soundaware Esther M1 and M1 Pro, Sony's WM1Z Walkman, the Sennheiser HDV820, Topping NX1S, iFi iDAC/iCAN SE/xDSD, and of course the iPod, iPod Classic, and 3rd-6th gen iPod touch. One lazy Sunday afternoon I even spent 3-4 hours straight demoing numerous Fiio devices (and annoying the salesman) from the Q, M, K , and E series including the E7 with my Momentums.
I listen to many genres from blues to electronica to classical and rap, and never, no matter what device they are paired with whether it be live or computer generated, video game or movies, Primus or Sarah K, does any of the bass below 100Hz, "gets lost or lacks definition". Sure, quality will of course differ between devices, but the bass is always there and rock solid! No roll-off, no veil. They are like a super efficient closed back HD600/650 to my ears.

I think there was something up with your iPhone 5s because even on my niece's iPhone 5c my Momentums sounded freaking fantastic, as always.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #924 of 931
I own two pairs of 1st gen Momentums (black and brown, stumbled on a cheap 2nd pair). Listening just now through my iPhone 6s+ versus RME ADI-2 DAC's iem out the latter seems snappier, punchier and more controlled in the lows. Perhaps not as much a difference than with my 5s vs Fiio, but the difference is still there. I still think these get better with some amping, more than these two phones can muster at least. I still don't know what is causing this - and I'm usually the last person to hype up the advantages of amps. I've had no similar experiences with other mobile-ready headphones (HD598 Cs, Oppo PM3 etc.) out of my phones. They work just fine with little difference to "better" amps/sources when on the go.

I don't think Momentums sound "fantastic" in the grand scheme of things. They do that smooth & warm Sennheiser tonality very well, but there is loads of grain in the highs and this overall mush that's pleasant, but not helping to achieve high fidelity. Other than the pleasant SQ I like them because they look pretty sleek and wear nicely on my head, even if they're not really over-ears. If SQ was the only thing on my mind I'd use my Sines all the time. Too bad they're not nearly as comfy and that Cipher cable can't handle freezing temperatures.

E: These don't sound much like HD600 really, when compared side by side. Momentum is much bassier and has a severe drop in the highs, both in mid-treble and up top too. To Momentums defence, this darker tuning is very much useful when on-the-go. In a noisy environment they give a quite good approximation of a 600/650 in a silent room.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #925 of 931
I own two pairs of 1st gen Momentums (black and brown, stumbled on a cheap 2nd pair). Listening just now through my iPhone 6s+ versus RME ADI-2 DAC's iem out the latter seems snappier, punchier and more controlled in the lows. Perhaps not as much a difference than with my 5s vs Fiio, but the difference is still there. I still think these get better with some amping, more than these two phones can muster at least. I still don't know what is causing this - and I'm usually the last person to hype up the advantages of amps. I've had no similar experiences with other mobile-ready headphones (HD598 Cs, Oppo PM3 etc.) out of my phones. They work just fine with little difference to "better" amps/sources when on the go.

I don't think Momentums sound "fantastic" in the grand scheme of things. They do that smooth & warm Sennheiser tonality very well, but there is loads of grain in the highs and this overall mush that's pleasant, but not helping to achieve high fidelity. Other than the pleasant SQ I like them because they look pretty sleek and wear nicely on my head, even if they're not really over-ears. If SQ was the only thing on my mind I'd use my Sines all the time. Too bad they're not nearly as comfy and that Cipher cable can't handle freezing temperatures.

E: These don't sound much like HD600 really, when compared side by side. Momentum is much bassier and has a severe drop in the highs, both in mid-treble and up top too. To Momentums defence, this darker tuning is very much useful when on-the-go. In a noisy environment they give a quite good approximation of a 600/650 in a silent room.
My first gen Momentum+Galaxy S8 or Momentum+X3ii is just a touch brighter than my HD650+BH Crack so I wouldn't call it a "severe drop in the highs", but agree that the bass is a bit muddy / more "one note" on the Momentum. I usually use an on-ear first gen Momentum or a Nhoord Red V2 build when out and about walking but for travel is a QC35 or Vmoda XS.

Mar 10, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #929 of 931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back