Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
May 2, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #887 of 931
Everyone hears differently.
I sometimes find the bass a little lean.

May 2, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #890 of 931
I'm deeply in love with the design, but "just" love the sound qualities, clear, sweet and crisp as expected but not the best I've ever heard.
Blue ones are for me.

For women with long hair the design of the momentum's cup mounting can cause their hair to get stuck, seen this happen a few times with a few female friends that I gave the momentum to for birthday / x-mas gifts.  Can also remember a anther poster saying that it happened to his wife also but it was on another thread.

May 26, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #891 of 931
Ok to ask about Momentum Wireless here?
Only me who thinks the mids and vocals are a bit warm?
My phone doesnt support Aptx (Huawei Mate 8), could be the reason,
because none of the reviews says anything about too warm mids/voclas..
On some tracks the warm vocals overpowers the lows and highs, other tracks are ok..

May 27, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #893 of 931
Is this the main thread for the wired Momentum 2 over (around) ears?

No.
This thread started back in 2013 shortly after the black version of the M1 'over ears' was introduced. (non folding and smaller ear cups/pads - but still advertised as an 'over ear headphone')

Not sure if there is a 'main thread' for the M2, since they sound so similar people have been posting about the M2 in this thread already.
I'd just stick around here and post away: seems more constructive to talk about the different versions together in one thread as long as it's clear which one is being discussed. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #894 of 931
New to full sized headphones. and I must say the momentums are probably the best sounding can I've owned.(came from PX-100-II, A-Jays, AIAIAI Tracks, Senn IE8, Marshall Monitors). 

To all who did not like the Momentum's sound, after owning it for a few months, 2 of the following are the largest factors:

- Seal - 1 week after my purchase, I still thought something was off with the sound. While the seal was OK and my ears fit the cups, yet the clamping force was quite weak. I tried to tighten the clamping force and this resulted in a significant change in sound : it sounded fuller than stock. Prior to increasing the clamping force, the sound was good but I can't help but wonder on the lack of impact / sounds somewhat thin. 

- Cable - Trust me, the cable with Mic sounds noticeably inferior than the direct cable. I've done hours of comparison, even on Units displayed on stores to make sure mine did not come with a defective remote cable. The straight cable has more PRaT and details in the mids. With the remote mic, some of the textures are missing and this is probably what others mention that have some weird bass - distant, not punchy. With the straight cable, everything is much more energetic.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #895 of 931
  New to full sized headphones. and I must say the momentums are probably the best sounding can I've owned.(came from PX-100-II, A-Jays, AIAIAI Tracks, Senn IE8, Marshall Monitors). 

To all who did not like the Momentum's sound, after owning it for a few months, 2 of the following are the largest factors:

- Seal - 1 week after my purchase, I still thought something was off with the sound. While the seal was OK and my ears fit the cups, yet the clamping force was quite weak. I tried to tighten the clamping force and this resulted in a significant change in sound : it sounded fuller than stock. Prior to increasing the clamping force, the sound was good but I can't help but wonder on the lack of impact / sounds somewhat thin. 

- Cable - Trust me, the cable with Mic sounds noticeably inferior than the direct cable. I've done hours of comparison, even on Units displayed on stores to make sure mine did not come with a defective remote cable. The straight cable has more PRaT and details in the mids. With the remote mic, some of the textures are missing and this is probably what others mention that have some weird bass - distant, not punchy. With the straight cable, everything is much more energetic.

If you still have your PX-100ii I would look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-thread.  I've built 3 so far and love the way that you can tune the sound.

As for the Momentum, I have both the over-ear and on-ear, I actually like the sound of the on-ear better and for me living in Hawaii where its a little hotter/humid the on-ear is much more comfortable and cooler.

They also made great gifts last year when they selling them cheap since the Gen2 model came out, gave 6 of the on-ears for presents/birthdays.

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #896 of 931

If you still have your PX-100ii I would look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-thread.  I've built 3 so far and love the way that you can tune the sound.

As for the Momentum, I have both the over-ear and on-ear, I actually like the sound of the on-ear better and for me living in Hawaii where its a little hotter/humid the on-ear is much more comfortable and cooler.

They also made great gifts last year when they selling them cheap since the Gen2 model came out, gave 6 of the on-ears for presents/birthdays.

Wow this looks interesting. They are even comparing the senngrados to high-end grado line. Unfortunately I nolonger have my PX100II anymore but am looking to find some used ones for this. How would you compare the senngrados to the Momentum though? I loved my PX-100II -- probably the most fun headphone from recent memory.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #897 of 931

Wow this looks interesting. They are even comparing the senngrados to high-end grado line. Unfortunately I nolonger have my PX100II anymore but am looking to find some used ones for this. How would you compare the senngrados to the Momentum though? I loved my PX-100II -- probably the most fun headphone from recent memory.

If you luck out and get a good pair of PX-100ii drivers then they can be really good but one of the problems has been some inconsistencies in the driver.  I bought 5 pairs and only have 2 that are really good, 1 that is okay and the other 2 went in the trash.  I think your original PX-100ii might have been one of those great ones.  I also mod the basic SennGrado design by using dynamat in the cup and sorbothane on the back of the driver.  The dynamat is something that Sprit Labs uses to mod a basic Grado and the sorbothane originally came from the SR-009 thread.

As for the sound of the SennGrado, the one I like best is mounted in the walnut cups in the picture above and I hate to say it but the Momentum is not even close, the SennGrado has a much more dynamic sound, the bass is tight, almost like a HD-700, the mids are nice and mellow like a HD-650 and the highs have the normal Grado sparkle without sounding sibilant or harsh.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #898 of 931
  If you luck out and get a good pair of PX-100ii drivers then they can be really good but one of the problems has been some inconsistencies in the driver.  I bought 5 pairs and only have 2 that are really good, 1 that is okay and the other 2 went in the trash.  I think your original PX-100ii might have been one of those great ones.  I also mod the basic SennGrado design by using dynamat in the cup and sorbothane on the back of the driver.  The dynamat is something that Sprit Labs uses to mod a basic Grado and the sorbothane originally came from the SR-009 thread.

As for the sound of the SennGrado, the one I like best is mounted in the walnut cups in the picture above and I hate to say it but the Momentum is not even close, the SennGrado has a much more dynamic sound, the bass is tight, almost like a HD-700, the mids are nice and mellow like a HD-650 and the highs have the normal Grado sparkle without sounding sibilant or harsh.

I was surprised that the bass on my SennGrado felt pretty close to the HE400.  Plus you don't have the weight that the HE400 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back