Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Mar 29, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #856 of 931
Some brief observations on sound with the Brainwavz pads:

- More sparkly in sound.  I think this might be attributed to the pads having pleather sewn on the inner oval of the pads as opposed to cloth like the original Momentum 1 pads.
- Mids seem a bit recessed.  Possibly being overthrown due to the extra sparkle?
- Bass / Low End is more recessed with the Brainwavz pads.  In fact, it's to the point where I'd prefer the slight discomfort of the original Momentum 1 pads because the bass, mids and highs do well with the headphones.

I had the same audio observations for virtually all too big pads I have experimented with for various cans suck as Grado SR60 and Meze 99 Classics. It has nothing to do with the seal either (leaking sound, less pressure), rather the space created from the larger opening. That is why Sennheiser had to "tweak" the Gen 2 Momentums; So people with larger ears can finally hear what us smaller eared have been since the originals.

beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #857 of 931
Tomorrow, I have some more brown pads arriving to give a try.  They are: Aftermarket Momentum pads as well as Bose QC2 replacement pads from an Amazon vendor.  I'll be sure to update this thread with my impressions as well as pictures once I've spent a little time with those pads after they've arrived.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions with those earpads. Don't know about the QC, but I measured the earcups of the SoundTrue and they are the same size (both high and wide) as the Momentums, just less thick for a larger opening, so I've always thought that a pair of SoundTrue earpads should be the perfect solution for those whose ears don't fit inside the Momentum, and if the QC's are the same size as well, then I bet you will have a better experience than with the Brainwavz.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #858 of 931
My other pads arrived this morning since I opted for overnight shipping from Amazon.  The Bose QC2 replacement pads are a "no-go" because of the following reasons:

1) They would require a double-sided adhesive tape to mount them to the Momentum headphones as the pads don't have the plastic lip to hold it in place on the Momentum ear cups.
2) They are shallow pads and it would appear that many of our ears would bottom out and hit the speaker baffles on the Momentum headphones quite easily.

However, a good pad seems to be the Momentum (v.1) pad from the vendor Geekria, who sells their wares on Amazon.  I'm not sure if there are plans for a Momentum (v.2) pad or not.

As you can see in the pictures, the ear openings are not any larger on the Geekria replacement pads when compared to the standard Momentum (v.1) leather pads.  However, the pads have a bit more "bulk" to them and have a slightly larger diameter to them.  During my few hours of testing, I felt that these pads made my listening sessions with the Momentums half as painful as with the original pads.  With the additional padding, there seemed to be some added comfort when it came to the fit for my needs. 

The Geekria pads didn't appear to change the sound like the oversized HM5 pad did.  The bass was still solid with these replacement pads and the treble was not emphasize since the opening size didn't really change and Geekria has a cloth / woven material in the inner wall of the pads and not pleather, which might lead to more reflections of higher frequencies bouncing around as the sound makes it to our ears. 

At this point, I'm content with these pads and the Momentums for my daily pair to wear while I'm at work.  The working environment can get a bit noisy, so have a closed pair of headphones does merit some benefit.

How the Geekria pads arrive: In their own circular box along with a plastic installation tool and instructions, if needed.  I found that I didn't need to use the tool, but just worked the pad onto the ear cup using my fingers and thumb.  The process took just a few minutes.

Here's a comparison between the original Momentum pads and the Geekria pads.  The original pads are on the left side.  As you can see, the Geekria pads are not as dark brown in color as the original pads.

Here's a view of the rear or mounting side of the pads.  The original Momentum pad is on the left.

Finally, here's a picture of the Geekria Momentum replacement pads installed on my pair of brown Momentum headphones.

I think at this point, this is my stopping point when it comes to trying pads.  I still have other headphones to tweak and spend time enjoying, so I don't want too much of my time being consumed by the Momentums.  For now, I'll enjoy these as my work headphones ... until the right pair of Meze 99 Classics land into my lap for potential use at work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #859 of 931

I think at this point, this is my stopping point when it comes to trying pads.  I still have other headphones to tweak and spend time enjoying, so I don't want too much of my time being consumed by the Momentums.  For now, I'll enjoy these as my work headphones ... until the right pair of Meze 99 Classics land into my lap for potential use at work.
smily_headphones1.gif

They look nice and comfy but the inside circumference looks smaller than stock. Is that an illusion or do they make the issue of the stock ones being too small for larger ears even worse?

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #860 of 931

They look nice and comfy but the inside circumference looks smaller than stock. Is that an illusion or do they make the issue of the stock ones being too small for larger ears even worse?

Yes, you are correct in what you've observed.  The aftermarket pads have much more foam in them and the pads are a bit "overstuffed".  While the hole is in fact smaller, I find the pads more comfortable.  The ears tend to rest on that inner lining, which is more comfortable (for me) than the stock pads.  I don't find the stock pads horrible and with some adjustments to the pressure that the headband applies to the ears, they are more tolerable than they were just out of the box. 

Fortunately, they're just my headphones while at work - for the time being.  I'd love to contact Sennheiser and see if they have replacement Momentum 2 pads available, but suspect the cost would be closer to $50.  But, even then, it's no guarantee where the sound will head.

I have more than a few pair of headphones and have the NAD on their way to me.  That model could take the spot for being my closed headphone for use while at work.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #861 of 931
Well, taking a risk and trying out a questionable product I saw on ebay. Someone was selling an over ear Momentum without pads or cable (supposedly has been tested and is fully functional) for $36, so ordered that and cheap pads which will take awhile to ship from China. I already have a cable I believe should work, so if this pans out, I'll have an over ear Momentum for around $44.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #862 of 931
Well, taking a risk and trying out a questionable product I saw on ebay. Someone was selling an over ear Momentum without pads or cable (supposedly has been tested and is fully functional) for $36, so ordered that and cheap pads which will take awhile to ship from China. I already have a cable I believe should work, so if this pans out, I'll have an over ear Momentum for around $44.

That's on the high side, back in Jun and Nov last year I bough 2 (used: like-new from Amazon Warehouse) for $65 and $68.  Both came in the original box, semi-hard case, soft bag, and the 2 cables.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #863 of 931
  That's on the high side, back in Jun and Nov last year I bough 2 (used: like-new from Amazon Warehouse) for $65 and $68.  Both came in the original box, semi-hard case, soft bag, and the 2 cables.

Yes, but that was also multiple months ago.  The current AWD prices for used are around $120 or higher.  I'm still getting a hopefully fully functional Momentum for $44 - eBay cash used.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #864 of 931
  Yes, but that was also multiple months ago.  The current AWD prices for used are around $120 or higher.  I'm still getting a hopefully fully functional Momentum for $44 - eBay cash used.

Wow
eek.gif
, didn't know they went up in price so much, didn't bother looking since I figured they wouldn't have anymore since they are out of production.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #865 of 931
Hello there Momentum owners and former owners. I have a question which I can't seem to find the answer to, and the few mails I've fired off on the topic have received no answer.

Does anyone know the behind-the-driver volume of the Momemtums? I have a build project that's coming along and this info would be of great assistance to me in furthering the project.

Thanks in advance

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #866 of 931
  Hello there Momentum owners and former owners. I have a question which I can't seem to find the answer to, and the few mails I've fired off on the topic have received no answer.

Does anyone know the behind-the-driver volume of the Momemtums? I have a build project that's coming along and this info would be of great assistance to me in furthering the project.

Thanks in advance

you are asking a question that I don't think anyone would have the answer to.  If I were to guess it would be slightly less than what you get from the front due to the fame and magnet structure blocking some of the sound radiating from the driver, say 15-20% less would be my estimate.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #867 of 931
  you are asking a question that I don't think anyone would have the answer to.  If I were to guess it would be slightly less than what you get from the front due to the fame and magnet structure blocking some of the sound radiating from the driver, say 15-20% less would be my estimate.

Thank you.

I'm not quite sure I understood. Do you mean you estimate that it's about 80-85% of the volume of the cup without the pad?

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #868 of 931
  Thank you.

I'm not quite sure I understood. Do you mean you estimate that it's about 80-85% of the volume of the cup without the pad?

The question you asked was how much volume was behind the driver so my estimate was 80-85% of what comes out the front due to the frame that is blocking a part of the driver cone.

If you are asking how much the pad blocks the sound then I would say very little.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #869 of 931

Thanks in advance

Why don't you e-mail Sennheiser Support? They are super friendly and helpful (in Canada at least)!

beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #870 of 931
  The question you asked was how much volume was behind the driver so my estimate was 80-85% of what comes out the front due to the frame that is blocking a part of the driver cone.

If you are asking how much the pad blocks the sound then I would say very little.

I meant volume as in size. surface multiplied by height.

Why don't you e-mail Sennheiser Support? They are super friendly and helpful (in Canada at least)!

beerchug.gif

I did. No answer yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back