Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jun 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #902 of 931
As it is, I can't think of anything I'd like to change about it's sound.  The only thing I'd really consider doing for it is finding new gimbals, rods & headband, and for the most part that gets real expensive quite fast.  At least for anything decent looking.  While to me it is certainly a better headphone than my Momentum, I also only paid around $45 for a Momentum with no pads or cable, some cheap pads from China, and borrowed a cable from my On Ears that I bought from when J&R Music closed.  At the time the price for those was phenomenal.  It also landed me what very well might still be the lowest price for a new HD700 from an authorized dealer.  Sad to see a great store go, but I won't shy from the fact that I took advantage of those sales.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #904 of 931
Hi! Im new to the forum and can't create a thread myself yet. So posting to this thread is the best solution as far as I can see.
I have the original Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear. Really good headphones except the ear pads is too small. Both in diameter, but padding too. Me ears gets cramped, after about an hour listening I have to take the off.

So to the question: Is there any replacement ear cups available that's larger than the original ones? I bet Momentum 2.0 ear cups won't fit?

Im also having a hard time finding a replacement 2.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable for them. The original one is not too good, bad connection. I consider removing the 2.5mm female connector and solder on a 3.5mm connector instead. Anyone tried this? Would make finding a suitable cable for not to much money a whole lot easier.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #905 of 931
  Hi! Im new to the forum ...
So to the question: Is there any replacement ear cups available that's larger than the original ones? I bet Momentum 2.0 ear cups won't fit?
Im also having a hard time finding a replacement 2.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable for them. The original one is not too good, bad connection. I consider removing the 2.5mm female connector and solder on a 3.5mm connector instead. Anyone tried this? Would make finding a suitable cable for not to much money a whole lot easier.

Hi.  Welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry for your wallet.  :)

I can't help with the ear cups, sorry.  But for the connector, if you are going to go through the trouble of soldering something on, make sure you get something that locks.  Maybe consider mini xlr, as one option.  You may even be able to balance the connection so you can create balanced cables later.  AKG 702 has a locking mini xlr if you want to see an example.  But I believe it is single end.  That can also be a source of replacement.  AKG 702 replacement cable.  If you go mini xlr.

If you don't want to do it yourself, there are tons of DIY on Head Fi that can do it for you, or Moon Audio if you are US based.

Good luck.

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #906 of 931
  Hi! Im new to the forum and can't create a thread myself yet. So posting to this thread is the best solution as far as I can see.
I have the original Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear. Really good headphones except the ear pads is too small. Both in diameter, but padding too. Me ears gets cramped, after about an hour listening I have to take the off.

If looking for a replacement cable then try here: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4876, good prices and quality is decent.

As for the size of the ear pads, haven't found any larger ones and I don't think the M2 cups will fit either.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #907 of 931
  If looking for a replacement cable then try here: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4876, good prices and quality is decent.

As for the size of the ear pads, haven't found any larger ones and I don't think the M2 cups will fit either.

Hi.  Welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry for your wallet.  :)

I can't help with the ear cups, sorry.  But for the connector, if you are going to go through the trouble of soldering something on, make sure you get something that locks.  Maybe consider mini xlr, as one option.  You may even be able to balance the connection so you can create balanced cables later.  AKG 702 has a locking mini xlr if you want to see an example.  But I believe it is single end.  That can also be a source of replacement.  AKG 702 replacement cable.  If you go mini xlr.

If you don't want to do it yourself, there are tons of DIY on Head Fi that can do it for you, or Moon Audio if you are US based.

Good luck.

Thank you guys! 
I sold them so they're not my problem anymore.. :)

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #909 of 931
M1 - slightly warmer / bassier
M2 - slightly more treble & minimally larger soundstage 

Blind, I think most people wouldn't hear a difference.

Anyone with larger ears who needs to wear the M1 on-ear will tell you the M1 has LOTS MORE boomy bass, which is a simple result of not being able to wear them over-ear.
Over-ear they sound like siblings.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #910 of 931
Have rediscovered the pleasure of my M1 over-ears recently
Been listening to Tidal MQA recordings with PC desktop app through chord mojo hooked up to Senn M1
Have been discovering some fabulous new details and nuances in recordings I thought were very familiar!

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #911 of 931
Have rediscovered the pleasure of my M1 over-ears recently
Been listening to Tidal MQA recordings with PC desktop app through chord mojo hooked up to Senn M1
Have been discovering some fabulous new details and nuances in recordings I thought were very familiar!

Glad to hear! If I can get the right fit, I get a lot of satisfaction out of the M1

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #912 of 931
I always enjoyed my M1, was surprised there were so many folks out there with such big ears. :)
Only passed them on to get my HD650

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #914 of 931
Yes less bass and tighter. Tonal balance in the mid and top is similar, maybe slightly brighter, but the 650's present better clarity and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back