Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #526 of 931
Just picked up the Momentum Ivory (over ear).  I must say I'm impressed with what I'm hearing out of my FiiO X5.  I will eventually try it with say my iPhone.  A well-rounded headphone with plenty of air and detail.  Decent bass response and palpable mids.  I do wish the ear cups were big enough to actually go over my ears but the seal is decent.  I guess they went for aesthetics and didn't want huge ear cups.  These are really on-ear for my noggin.  The Momentum ranks up there with some of the best for my tastes in the under $500 headphone market.  I would easily choose these over the HD650 or HD595 as well as a bunch of other $300 headphones I've tried from Beyerdynamic and Audio-Technica.  Subjective, of course.  I would like to hear these drivers in even a slightly larger headphone frame, thicker headband, and larger ear cup.  They could still be portable but just a slightly larger version for durability/ruggedness and completely covering my ears rather than sitting on them.         

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #528 of 931
x2

I haven't read through all of this thread.  I'm sure you guys have touched upon this topic a lot.  I guess I could try the more expensive DJ7,8 but will they sound like the Momentum?  Probably not.  I like to fall asleep to music.  Lets hope I don't break these 
eek.gif

Quote:
Momentum XLs!

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #529 of 931
I just got the Momentums in the mail and wow! my previous favorite pair of headphones were the V-moda M80s but these are much clearer and have a more pleasing sound signature to me. They also seem comfortable to me but I have small ears.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #531 of 931
I like the sound of my Momentums a lot, but the ear cups have really proven to be too small for me to wear them comfortably for extended sessions. If they only made the ear cups larger they'd be some of my favorite closed back headphones. Of "lifestyle" headphones, these are the only ones I've heard that seem to earn their price tag for audio quality.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #532 of 931
How recessed is the treble? I'm trying to choose between this and MDR1R. I liked how momentum has well extended bass on FR graph but saw treble is kind of recessed. Also, is this comparable to hd600?

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #533 of 931
I've compared the MDR1 with the Momentums side by side.

My preference was definitely for the momentums as they had just as much detail but were much more musical and engaging.

The MDR1 gave me all the detail but it just didn't pull me into the music.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #534 of 931
FWIW, I listened to the Momentums and the MDRs today.
Source was my iPhone 5 and music ranged from jazzy vocals to a mix of electronic/acoustic folk to hard kicking industrial dub step.
I also listened to the B&W P7.

The MDRs were nice and gave a fairly up front sound. They were nice and articulated everything well enough without any major issues at all.
The Momentums allowed me to sit further back from the performers and also hear the nuances of the venue acoustic better. The Momentums sounded bigger BUT, didn't initially seem to deliver the outright detail that the MDRs delivered. Listen though, and it sure is there. It's just not shoved at you.
I prefered the Momentums.
Why?
Their sound has a delicacy about it and I could get carried away by the music easier with these.
The allowed the different feelings of different genres to show through.
They were a much more musical headphone despite not being as accurate perhaps. 
The MDRs on the other hand 'forced' me listen to the music and I felt 'on edge' even with laid back music.
The MDRs looked nice but they didn't have the classy build or materials like the Senns.
The B&W was like the MDR but better - cleaner, more detail and less veiled again, seemed easier to drive, bigger stage, better made.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #535 of 931
How recessed is the treble? I'm trying to choose between this and MDR1R. I liked how momentum has well extended bass on FR graph but saw treble is kind of recessed. Also, is this comparable to hd600?

A bit too much for my tastes. I'd recommend the HP50s over either headphone personally.

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #536 of 931
I wish they made full size Momentums. I had these but sold them because I had used them only at home and earcups felt a bit small for home use.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #537 of 931
A bit too much for my tastes. I'd recommend the HP50s over either headphone personally.

I compared the Momentum and HP 50 side by side. I prefer the Momentum. The Momentum sounded more musical and had a richer midrange, the midrange on the HP 50 sounded spacy and hollow in comparison. But I did like the bass on the HP 50.

The treble is gently rolled off at the very top on the Momentum, but it is not cloudy or unclear, I still hear the last bit of details on the high hats.I really really like the treble presentation on the Momentum.

To my ears, the high hats on the HP 50 sounded a bit splashier and glarier.

My main criticism of the Momentum is that on occasion, with some songs, they suffocate in their own warmth.sometimes the headphone sounds a bit too warm and veiled with less than high quality mp3s.in that sense, this Momentum is a classic Sennheiser. But if you feed the headphone right with good mp3's, it wipes the floor with the competition I am familiar with in this category.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #538 of 931
I compared the Momentum and HP 50 side by side. I prefer the Momentum. The Momentum sounded more musical and had a richer midrange, the midrange on the HP 50 sounded spacy and hollow in comparison. But I did like the bass on the HP 50.

The treble is gently rolled off at the very top on the Momentum, but it is not cloudy or unclear, I still hear the last bit of details on the high hats.I really really like the treble presentation on the Momentum.

To my ears, the high hats on the HP 50 sounded a bit splashier and glarier.

My main criticism of the Momentum is that on occasion, with some songs, they suffocate in their own warmth.sometimes the headphone sounds a bit too warm and veiled with less than high quality mp3s.in that sense, this Momentum is a classic Sennheiser. But if you feed the headphone right with good mp3's, it wipes the floor with the competition I am familiar with in this category.

I like the Momentums a lot, but in the end having to listen to Michael Botti CDs with it sounding like his trumpet was behind the drummer (due to the significantly rolled off treble) got to me...I sold them soon after.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #539 of 931
I think the HP50s are more neutral than the Momentums, but the main reason I'm keeping the HP50s and selling the momentums is because of the earpad sizes (like so many other people). I don't have big ears but they get to me after thirty minutes or so. If the HP50s has the plushness of the Momentum's pads or if the momentums had the larger size of the HP50s, I probably woulda kept both.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #540 of 931
I sold my HP 50 because it really didn't have a place in my everyday life. I thought the Momentum had a more clear, realistic and rich sound. Plus it has a much much better build quality than the HP 50. The plastic and creaky construction of the HP 50 left a lot to be desired.

I also think the Momentum is a much better looking and lightweight lifestyle headphone compared to the HP 50. I guess we all like different things. So I am keeping the Momentum as my out and about headphone.

And I don't need the HP 50 for my inside headphone because I have the HD 600 and HD 598 for that, and I'm also thinking about adding the 650.

I recently had The Amperior, And I think it is a great sounding headphone, especially if you like a forward, aggressive sound. I prefer more of a laid-back signature, but I appreciated it for its high resolution sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back