Sennheiser Momentum Balanced Mod
Jun 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #46 of 78
I used some 26awg UPOCC copper wire in teflon. I think it came from Headphonelounge originally. It was a remnant I got from a friend, so not 100% sure. I don't normally like teflon for headphone cables, but this was the thinnest wire I had and it was still pretty flexible.

The sleeving is tan Type I microparacord.

Hi fraggler, may I know if 24awg wire, like the Nucleotide ones sold by Double Helix cables will fit into Type I micro paracord? Thanks!!

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #50 of 78
Quote:
Does this mod give any reasonable improvement in SQ?

It was hooked up to an Eddie Current Balancing Act along with a stock Momentum at a recent meet.  Everyone who A/B'd them could hear a difference.  A couple thought it was better, another wasn't sure which one he preferred. So a definite maybe is the answer.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #53 of 78
Read the first post.
I have.

hence why im puzzled. The M8 does both balanced and unbalanced outputs. The momentums are not designed to be used in a setting where "balanced inputs" are beneficial. If you want "balanced performance" go and use a normal set if phones which do that.

This is not a dig btw, I just don't understand why you'd hack at them when they are portable by design. If you are looking for balanced performance, then imho, the momentums are not the right thing to use

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #54 of 78
I would disagree.  Almost any set of headphones or IEMs benefit from balancing, if you have a source to take advantage of the connection.  I have a balanced cable ordered for my HD25s, which I would consider lower in the food chain then the Momentums.

But you are correct in the since that it isn't a necessary mod, just optional...

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:
I have.

hence why im puzzled. The M8 does both balanced and unbalanced outputs. The momentums are not designed to be used in a setting where "balanced inputs" are beneficial. If you want "balanced performance" go and use a normal set if phones which do that.

This is not a dig btw, I just don't understand why you'd hack at them when they are portable by design. If you are looking for balanced performance, then imho, the momentums are not the right thing to use

I have a portable headphone amplifier that has balanced output.  Why wouldn't I use my portable headphones out of the balanced output if I can (especially since testing in this case has proven to my ears that balanced sounds better to me)?  No headphone comes standard with a balanced connector, so one must always modify or replace the cable if you want to use it with a balanced amplifier.  Really not sure why you are so puzzled.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #56 of 78
Its a fair comment i suppose. I'm just looking at this from a design perspective. If the Momentums are all you have (or want) and want the seperate outputs, fair enough. From the get-go though, i'd probably be looking to get a set of phone already wired (Do they exist?)

One other point,

Would it have been possible to place a second 2.5/3.5 socket int he other earphone and then rig up a aftermarket plug (the extended version will give you 4 terminations) and flip/flot betwixt the two as required?

that way you get to keep the true design of the original and, be able to swap quickly and cleanly for your custom cable at a moments notice.

That would be a nice Mod :)

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #57 of 78
Quote:
Its a fair comment i suppose. I'm just looking at this from a design perspective. If the Momentums are all you have (or want) and want the seperate outputs, fair enough. From the get-go though, i'd probably be looking to get a set of phone already wired (Do they exist?)

One other point,

Would it have been possible to place a second 2.5/3.5 socket int he other earphone and then rig up a aftermarket plug (the extended version will give you 4 terminations) and flip/flot betwixt the two as required?

that way you get to keep the true design of the original and, be able to swap quickly and cleanly for your custom cable at a moments notice.

I can't think of a headphone that is shipped with a balanced termination.  But, there are headphones with detachable cables (some Sennheisers, Audeze, HiFiMan)  There you just buy a new cable.  Otherwise you have to do what FraGGleR did here (and he did very well)

FYI, you can get adapters to go from balanced to more traditional terminations (i.e. you 1/4" and 1/8" jacks)

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

One other point,

Like I mentioned before and what ButtUglyJeff just said, there are no headphones that come standard with a balanced connector.  Do some come with wires directly to each driver, yes.  But modification or replacement of the cable is still necessary.

Yes, and I considered it, but it would have been quite destructive and not worth the risk or effort for me.  Also, the entry cup is differently shaped to allow for a jack, whereas the opposite side is not.  Most likely no room for a jack.  This mod is also basically reversible should I ever want to go back to stock.  

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #59 of 78
Awesome work, really appreciate the thread.  A lot of people talk about the comfort issues with these, I have huge ears, roughly 3 1/8 inch tall, I wear them circum aural and I found their comfort acceptable, if still not as comfortable as my 7506s comfortable none the less.  The biggest factor I found was making sure the headband was adjusted properly.  Im interested in more detail regarding sq change with the mod if you could give any ? 

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:
Awesome work, really appreciate the thread.  A lot of people talk about the comfort issues with these, I have huge ears, roughly 3 1/8 inch tall, I wear them circum aural and I found their comfort acceptable, if still not as comfortable as my 7506s comfortable none the less.  The biggest factor I found was making sure the headband was adjusted properly.  Im interested in more detail regarding sq change with the mod if you could give any ? 

The small consensus at the meet is that it sounded a little less congested.  A more open soundstage, maybe a little more dynamic.  The changes were subtle, but noticeable.  Whether or not it was due to the wire choice, going balanced, or simply sample variation, we don't know.

This mod (and almost all of my mods or cables) are done for ergonomics and aesthetics.  Performance gains when there are any are bonuses for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back