Sennheiser Momentum Balanced Mod
May 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
In anticipation of an incoming CEntrance HifiM8, I decided to switch to a balanced cable for my portable of choice, the Sennheiser Momentum.

Only problem is that there is a TRS 2.5mm jack on only one side, so while making a new cable is a breeze, it wouldn't be balanced.  Since I didn't want to risk marring the looks of the Momentums by drilling to each driver, I decided to see what I could do to the jack.  I wasn't thinking tutorial, so I only have a couple pictures, but the great news is that the 2.5mm jack is mounted to a PCB that is easily unscrewed from the driver and can be easily de-soldered if you have a solder pump.  Once the 2.5mm jack is removed, you have 4 very convenient places to solder the new cable to, including separate grounds (they were joined inside the jack, not on the PCB).  All in all, ended up being easier than I thought it was going to be due to the extremely convenient PCB.

Here is a picture of the board with the 2.5mm jack already removed:

Here is the back of the board after soldering wires to it:

Ready to solder the drivers back onto the board (that is hotglue on the board used for strain relief while braiding the cable):

Finished with a mini-XLR:

May 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 78
Is there anything holding down the new cable other than the compression from the cup?

May 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 78
The board is screwed down, hotglue at the solder joints as well as a little on the heatshrink where it hits the cup.  Other than that, all compression (which is considerable).

Oh, and the board is through-hole instead of surface mount so there is a little more security from that as well.

May 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 78
Excellent info. I was thinking about doing something similar with my Beyerdynamic DT1350 to combine it with my incoming M8 as well 
bigsmile_face.gif

One question, does the M8 actually take a mini XLR ? I thought the options available are only regular sized XLR or do you plan to use an adapter? 

May 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 78
No. As much as I wish the M8 was going to have a mini XLR option, this is so I can use a set of adapters that I made already.

May 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 78
I would love to make an adapter set like that, except it's friggin impossible to find mini-xlrs in Canada, much less than 4-pin ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back