Sennheiser Momentum Balanced Mod
May 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 78
So what happens if/when the Momentum messes up? Lol. Warranties man.... I have to abide by them.... :frowning2:

LOVELY job. I want a Momentum sooooo badly.

May 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #17 of 78
What was your choice of cable?

I used some 26awg UPOCC copper wire in teflon. I think it came from Headphonelounge originally. It was a remnant I got from a friend, so not 100% sure. I don't normally like teflon for headphone cables, but this was the thinnest wire I had and it was still pretty flexible.

The sleeving is tan Type I microparacord.

May 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 78
:ph34r:  That might have just sold me on the Momentum. Except I have no DIY experience 
tongue.gif

Neither did I until I got some :p There is risk, but also reward going down the DIY path. It has made my Headfi journey immeasurably more enjoyable.

May 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #19 of 78
So what happens if/when the Momentum messes up? Lol. Warranties man.... I have to abide by them.... :frowning2:

LOVELY job. I want a Momentum sooooo badly.

I bought these used from a gentleman in Australia here on the forums. I don't know if the warranty would still hold anyways. Also, the construction of these are such that I doubt anything will come up at this point that the warranty would normally cover.

Plus there is a great rush cracking open a headphone for the first time and knowing your warranty just evaporated :) That said, no way I am doing anything other than the reversible Anax mod to my HD800s.

May 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #21 of 78
If only I didn't fear a soldering iron.  And oh what courage you have cracking open headphones.....

Great looking project!!!

May 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #24 of 78
Very nice! Now all I need is for someone to mod the earcups to a larger size,

I tried doing that by attaching with sticky tape toroidal distances made of some soft foam 5mm thick (I sacrificed very good mouse pad for that). In the result my ears fit well, but sound has lost a lot of lower frequencies, and treble became very harsh. So I decided to go back to what it was, and my ears suffer as usual.

May 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 78
A question, why does the jack have four contacts and not three? How are they connected inside?

That is the nature of a balanced connection. Separate ground for each channel instead of a common one. So L+, L-, R+, R-. The mod required removing the internal TRS jack (common ground) and soldering directly to the board that has separate grounds.

May 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #27 of 78
That is the nature of a balanced connection. Separate ground for each channel instead of a common one. So L+, L-, R+, R-. The mod required removing the internal TRS jack (common ground) and soldering directly to the board that has separate grounds.

So, if the jack has 4 contacts, why did you have to disassemble your headphones, and solder cables inside, instead of just buying such a jack and soldering your cable to that jack?

Ok, so internally it is a female socket with 3-contacts and not 4?

Sorry for that, I should have read more carefully the thread.

I was wondering how did you manage to open the cups?

May 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:
So, if the jack has 4 contacts, why did you have to disassemble your headphones, and solder cables inside, instead of just buying such a jack and soldering your cable to that jack?

Ok, so internally it is a female socket with 3-contacts and not 4?

Sorry for that, I should have read more carefully the thread.

I was wondering how did you manage to open the cups?

:)

Just gently pull off the earpads and you will see the 4 screws that you need to remove.  They are covered with tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back