Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Mar 17, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #422 of 657
Anyone know of an inline mic which works with Sennheiser Momentum 3?!

Trying to use for gaming but Sennheiser's special 4 band plug has me really perplexed. Is there no inline mic available for this headset???

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #423 of 657
So I've owned these headphones for a while and while I really like them, I've got a weird issue.
Whenever I use them with ANC turned off (which I usually like to do when I'm at home since I think it sounds better), I hear a quiet but high-pitched noise whenever I pause or switch songs.
It's either a sine wave-like noise at a sustained frequency, or it sometimes oscillates in pitch, and it takes about a second to stop. It's not loud - my room averages less than 40dB and it's still barely audible - but it is irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried searching the site/thread, to no avail.
My only working theory is that this has to do with the amplifier powering down, which would explain why it doesn't happen with ANC on (since it would remain on to amplify the "anti-noise" being sent to the drivers), but I'm no expert.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #424 of 657
...My only working theory is that this has to do with the amplifier powering down, which would explain why it doesn't happen with ANC on (since it would remain on to amplify the "anti-noise" being sent to the drivers), but I'm no expert.
To exclude with certainty that the noise don't come from the source, If you haven't done so yet, try another device (perhaps a different brand).

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #425 of 657
I'm facing an odd problem with these headphones that I can't get to grips with.

Every so often (and quite rarely, maybe once every 10 ours or so) I get a loud static popping sound from them when listening to music.

This has happened when listening through bluetooth (never wired) with:

two pairs of Sennheiser Momentum 3 (I sent a pair back because of the problem, the new ones do it too... so it isn't the particular pair I have at fault)
both Gonemad Music player and Spotify (which means I thought it wasn't the app/file I was listening to)
when connected to a Oneplus 6, and Samsung Tab A7 and a Pixel 5 as a source
Inside and outside the house

I haven't been able to find any other cases of this happening on the internet, but feel like I have eliminated everything that it could be other than "this is just something that happens with these headphones" - but that seems a little unrealistic with such expensive, popular headphones. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Is there something else I'm missing here?

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #428 of 657
Hey guys, want to show you my simple and cheap solution for a headband hotspot issue that is now tested and allows for hours of pain-free listening. I ordered several headband covers like this from GEEKRIA and stayed with the one for Audio-Technica M50-x models, purchased here. The cushion itself is some simple packing foam. Looks not bad (but I don't really care for home)

DSC_1154.JPG
DSC_1158.JPG
DSC_1157.JPG
DSC_1159.JPG

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #429 of 657
I swapped the Shure Aonic 50's for these. Man, what a difference in build quality. The Shures had a rattle when moving and a weird wooshing sound when moving around. The fake leather.. I didn't like it. These Sennheisers are super well built. Sound is more colored, but they sound great and I'm not really using these for dedicated music listening anyway. I specifically bought these because they do AptX LL, which is a must for me with TV, movies and videogames.

Btw, I found 2 nice products that go well with these. A small Creative BT-W3 Bluetooth transmitter that also does AptX LL, and an L3 Tech hardcase mentioned earlier, but with a different ASIN (found on Amazon.de); B07RGJG2WN.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #430 of 657
Hi, everyone.
I've only had the M3 for a couple of days but I'm having an issue with them in wired passive mode.
These seem to be very inefficient. I've searched the forum and this thread but I haven't found anyone complaining about this. The thing is, in wired, passive, I can't get anywhere near enough power to drive them to a reasonable volume and in the Burson Soloist 3X I need to set high gain! Even the HD800S or the HD6XX only need medium gain.
According to Soundnews, their impedance without ANC on is at 100 ohms and with 118 dB with 1Vrms. That's not what I'm hearing.
Did I get a faulty unit?
Thanks.

Edit: I just realized quite by accident that they remain on unless you use the multifunction button to power them off, so I wasn't really using them in passive wired mode. So I was using them in active mode (ANC off) and volume was quite low.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #431 of 657
Well they're different in one regard, they measure like sh...t across the entire frequency range :D ! At least the M3 has the good taste of measuring reasonably well above 200hz.

The state of current ANC BT headphones is disheartening to me. You'd figure that after more than a decade of research into FR target curves and with the inclusion of built-in DACs, amps and DSPs it would be easy peasy to get FR curves that don't look like the Himalayas and correspond to Harman or Harman-like targets (ie ones that try to emulate what a good pair of speakers sound like in a good listening room - that still leaves quite a bit of room for individual preferences and variation in users' anatomy) but alas we're even going backwards. It's weird that it's the more recent passive headphones that are actually better at matching these targets than the active / DSPed ones and that quite a few older BT headphones measure better than the current crop of ANC BT HPs.
I mean just looking at these curves gives me hearing damage : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#813/4011
And now for the part where most traditional audio companies should be flat out ashamed of themselves : when you're a decades old audio company and you release something that measures like this : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#12049/4011, while Beats (ie, Apple) of all companies has headphones that measure like this : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#1626/4011.
Which is why I think that when it comes to audio the puck is increasingly moving in the possession of tech companies, not traditional audio ones.

Oops, sorry for the rant.
all my BT headphones with the exception of the Aonic 50 are heavily eqed. There are still things they bring that are unique to each one with sq in mind, but companies could definitely bring more to the table when it comes to BT overears.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #432 of 657
My initial good impression has turned into a nightmare. Does anyone recognize these issues?
  • AptX-LL issues: every other session is plagued by random cracks and pops. Using a FiiO BTA30.
  • When listening to music from my DAP (AAC over Bluetooth, Shanling M0): sometimes the sound suddenly disappears, while the music keeps playing.
  • When trying to listen to anything from my DAP or phone: often there is just no sound. On Android the AIMP or YouTube will play for a few seconds (no sound is heard) and stop. Or it will keep playing, but no sound is heard.
When I have the issue, basic troubleshooting steps don't help, or it works after fighting them for an hour. I have tried reconnecting, restarting the headphones, unpairing/repairing, rebooting my DAP (Shanling M0), etc. These issues make this headphone useless to me.

The AptX-LL issue seems to be known for Sennheiser BT headphones; https://avantree.com/product-suppor...e-with-sennheiser-aptx-low-latency-headphones

We have found that Sennheiser's HD-350BT, HD450BT, and CX350BT seem to have connectivity issues with our Trasmitter Adapters.
Common complaints include:
  • Hard to reconnect
  • Connects but takes a while for sound to come through
  • Transmitter shows it's connected via LL but there's still significant audio lag
  • Clicking noise
Our testing results have shown that the connectivity issues and the audio lag issue often disappear after a few reconnections.

Nonetheless, other customers have contacted Sennheiser about this, and Sennheiser have admitted that they have some firmware issues (further confirmed on the three headphones' Amazon reviews).

If you encounter issues mentioned above, please also contact Sennheiser's customer support and let them know.

It's a shame, because they're one of the few good headphones that support LL.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #433 of 657
That's crazy.
I haven't had or heard of those issues with the M3. Also didn't know that about the issue with Avantry Transmitters and some Sennheiser headphones either. i have one of their Transmitters, but I only use it for it's APTX-HD capabilities. I pair my HP70s with it and connect it to my Jotunheimm. Works really well for that.

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #434 of 657
I think that all the symptoms that avantree reports happens with any bluetooth headphones that I've owned (and I've got a lot), including the one that everybody says works best. As for the M3, my experience is that normally it will connect and work without any issue (using my thinkpad, macbook pro, ipad pro, iphone 8, S9+, bravia TV, etc), but then again, there are days where everything fails, and honestly, I can't say if it's the headphone or the device connecting.
Edit - in the end, I forgot to say, I don't have complains of the stability of the M3.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #435 of 657
So I've owned these headphones for a while and while I really like them, I've got a weird issue.
Whenever I use them with ANC turned off (which I usually like to do when I'm at home since I think it sounds better), I hear a quiet but high-pitched noise whenever I pause or switch songs.
It's either a sine wave-like noise at a sustained frequency, or it sometimes oscillates in pitch, and it takes about a second to stop. It's not loud - my room averages less than 40dB and it's still barely audible - but it is irritating.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried searching the site/thread, to no avail.
My only working theory is that this has to do with the amplifier powering down, which would explain why it doesn't happen with ANC on (since it would remain on to amplify the "anti-noise" being sent to the drivers), but I'm no expert.
Mine does the same thing, it's quite annoying, but I only turn off ANC while charging so I won't hear that "transformer" noise.
It happens whenever I stop, skip and switch songs and video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back