Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Jan 30, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #406 of 657
No.

I listen to a wide variety of music, including electronic. The type of music has never mattered to the FR curve I prefer.

Ok, if you say so:))
bass on the m3 is the best for bass heavy music. Bass has to be elevated for this type of modern music, in order to feel the bottom end in its whole. Sennheiser made those as a dedication to the techno Berlin scene, and this music sounds fantastic and addictive on these. For sure it is not a headphone for old Led Zeppelin and Dylan...

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #407 of 657
Just got mine
Also have lcd gx, hd580 hd6xx, meze 99, etcetc

my personal opinion is they are Beats under 1000hz, grados over 5k and sorta sennheiser in the middle. The bass sounds totally bloated and unnatural. Even eqing it down its migraine inducing. And i say that as someone who boosts bass on meze99s. I think my issue is at any level the bass sounds terrible. There’s no resolution, detail, or texture. Its just a thick syrupy mess. It also doesnt sound big or expansive, its just loud.

Oddly bass in the right cup sounds much worse

But overall the bass is just a mess- ala all those crappy rattling cars with 15s in the trunk in 2002

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #408 of 657

Is it the case when ANC is off ?
If you run single tones through them (for example with a website such as this one : https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/), is it louder on one side than on the other ?
Do you think that you are getting an appropriate seal ?

One thing I noticed on the two copies of the M3 I tried was that the manufacturing tolerances were quite poor in general, but that the worst was when it came to the pads. None of the four pads looked even remotely similar in terms of the depth, width or height of the internal cavity. Perhaps you're suffering from that issue.
Or it's just the interaction between the pad / headphones / headband design and your own anatomy that induces that problem. For example I can't really use the K371 as the headband / cup joint design prevents them from rotating upwards enough to get a proper seal at the bottom of my ear.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #409 of 657
Is it the case when ANC is off ?
If you run single tones through them (for example with a website such as this one : https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/), is it louder on one side than on the other ?
Do you think that you are getting an appropriate seal ?

One thing I noticed on the two copies of the M3 I tried was that the manufacturing tolerances were quite poor in general, but that the worst was when it came to the pads. None of the four pads looked even remotely similar in terms of the depth, width or height of the internal cavity. Perhaps you're suffering from that issue.
Or it's just the interaction between the pad / headphones / headband design and your own anatomy that induces that problem. For example I can't really use the K371 as the headband / cup joint design prevents them from rotating upwards enough to get a proper seal at the bottom of my ear.
Anc made no difference. Ill try some tones. It was only songs like late nite tip that dip super low

i got them to replace some cheap taotronics that dont fit... but the TTs blow them out of the water

*Edit, whatever caused the bass disparity isn't doing it now.

But these are still by far the worst sounding headphones I've listened to in recent memory, so they are going back. I'd probably be OK with how they sound at around the $25 price point.

My kid's $20 bluetooth 'cat ear' headphones edge them out slightly.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #410 of 657
Just got mine

my personal opinion is they are Beats under 1000hz, grados over 5k and sorta sennheiser in the middle. The bass sounds totally bloated and unnatural. Even eqing it down its migraine inducing. And i say that as someone who boosts bass on meze99s. I think my issue is at any level the bass sounds terrible. There’s no resolution, detail, or texture. Its just a thick syrupy mess. It also doesnt sound big or expansive, its just loud.

But overall the bass is just a mess- ala all those crappy rattling cars with 15s in the trunk in 2002

the absolute best combination!

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #411 of 657
Just got mine

I have the Meze 99 Classics and I would never want to boost the bass on them. I only say this to point out that while I like a full bass and a warm tone (like the Meze 99 presents) I wouldn't want it to be more so. I do not have the same impression of the M3s--not even close. It seems you may have a defective unit?

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #413 of 657
Does anybody know/tried 3rd-party headband cushions with M3? Like Beyerdynamic ones maybe (just found, but they got many)? I really like the sound and features, but that hot spot on top of my head ruins it all :frowning2: Using them for almost a month, but it doesn't get any better, and no adjustments help.

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #414 of 657
Last night my M3s started to sound very bad. With Anc activated darker sound, much more bass, slight distortion at medium-high volume and sound more concentrated towards the center of the head! More distortion at maximum volume and incredible bass punch (more on the left side). This with Anc on max or anti wind. Without Anc, or anc on anti pressure, very very attenuated bass, greater stereo separation and slight distortion at maximum volume. I reset everything possible, nothing to do, always the same sh..t! Today I called Amazon and, fortunately, they gave me a full refund (after 14 months of purchase :sweat_smile:). I have already ordered a new set because, apart from this inconvenience, I have always had a great time with the M3s. Besides, I don't think there's a worthy replacement out there yet. Has a problem like this ever happened to anyone?

p.s. I was almost tempted to take the Sandy White, but, at least in the picture, it looks a bit chep ... contrary to the "very professional" black. Personal taste :slight_smile:

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #418 of 657
I noticed something tonight when listening that seems to be similar to an issue with an earlier post. When I activate ANC the sound seems to get really bad. I’d describe it as muddy and bassy. Also, with ANC on, the right channel seems to be slightly louder than the left, probably not by much but enough for me to notice. Has anyone else noticed this? They might be going back to Amazon!

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #420 of 657
Spent much time reading here, now some words in return: thanks (mostly) to this forum, I had an open gestalt that didn't allow me to settle down and enjoy the M3, knowing that AONIC 50 exists, which sounds even better (for actually smaller price - here in DE I could find A50 for ~200 Euros) - Yeah-yeah, many wrote here they are both great headphones, but somehow only few preferred M3 after hearing A50. Finally, I have got my hands on A50 and compared them to M3. And, damn, they couldn't be more different! I was expecting to get something more balanced with more clarity and less pronounced bass than M3, but A50 turned out to be too much the opposite of M3. I really thought that "analytical" sound can suit me better, but I was wrong (?). It took me only an hour maybe that I knew I _definitely_ stay with M3. I listen to mostly electronic music now (idm, dub techno, leftfield, house, uk bass, breakbeat and blah blah), but also like jazz and progressive rock. Sound: Before M3 I had Sony wh-1000xm2, and transition was justified - even though my wife didn't hear much of a difference, M3 was a next level for me. Better soundstage, separation of instruments, a lot of bass, yes (but it can be reduced in EQ on the phone and saved then - though EQ could be still better..), yet without ruining enjoyment from mids and highs (contrary to XM2). Still, it is safe to say that M3 and XM2 sound at least more or less similar. (At least compared to A50 hehe) And how about A50? In one word, I would describe their sound as intrusive (all is subjective :wink:). (not flat, or boring) Too much clairity, and even though more bass than I expected, still in some tracks I missed it - Overmono "iii's Front" is a good example, hell of a track, it has quickly passing "biting" bass sounds that were nearly missing with A50, how is that? Is this an analytical sound? So I thought let's play some jazz and put on nicely recorded Matthew Halsall album and you know what - M3 easily won for me again. You can take it as a joke: A50 sound like if Shure engineers did all analysis for you :) while I find M3 more inviting to explore textures and layers - simply put, M3 are just more musical for my taste :wink: Comfort: here I expected less from A50, but got more, though I cannot say how does they feel after hours of listening. Also, still struggling with the headband of M3 - already made an additional cushion there, but still hurts! I think, pressure should be better distributed to the sides (and less to the top) to eliminate that. ANC: don't care, listen at home. Conclusion (you guess it): AONIC 50 and Momentum 3 are very different beasts, listen and judge for yourself :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back