Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #391 of 657
Hello - I’m wondering if anyone can help me. I tried to look in this thread but couldn’t find any mention of it, so if it’s been solved, apologies!
I got the M3s this week. They are wonderful, love them. But there’s one annoying thing - when notifications come through, the music stops. I noticed it more with Microsoft Teams. I think i heard it with normal messages but it was more on Teams. I turned off Teams notifications but they still would come through.

I kind of think it’s linked to Siri but I’m unsure. Anyone else have this issue?

thanks!

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #392 of 657
Hello - I’m wondering if anyone can help me. I tried to look in this thread but couldn’t find any mention of it, so if it’s been solved, apologies!
I got the M3s this week. They are wonderful, love them. But there’s one annoying thing - when notifications come through, the music stops. I noticed it more with Microsoft Teams. I think i heard it with normal messages but it was more on Teams. I turned off Teams notifications but they still would come through.

I kind of think it’s linked to Siri but I’m unsure. Anyone else have this issue?

thanks!

Does that happen when you use them connected to a Windows computer?

Do you use them in Bluetooth multipoint mode (connected simultaneously to your phone and computer)?

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #393 of 657
Does that happen when you use them connected to a Windows computer?

Do you use them in Bluetooth multipoint mode (connected simultaneously to your phone and computer)?
Thanks for replying. They were connected to my iPhone and iPad. I shut the notifications on my iPhone but I’m wondering if the iPad caused the issues rather than the iPhone.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #394 of 657
Thanks for replying. They were connected to my iPhone and iPad. I shut the notifications on my iPhone but I’m wondering if the iPad caused the issues rather than the iPhone.
When a notification arrives to your iPad (or to your iPhone), the device (or perhaps, the software on the device, I don't know how notification sound are handled by iOS) sends it in HFP to the headphones, and the HFP (the "call mode") profile takes priority over the AD2P (the "media playback mode") profile.

This is designed (on headphones-side) this way so that when/if you're listening to music and a call arrives, the incoming call gets the priority.

Some softwares (not all of them) also send notifications as if they were a "call" notification, hence interrupting your music (as calls - HFP profile - take priority over the media playback - AD2P profile).

In Windows and Android your can actively change those profiles, in iOS I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #395 of 657
Holy crap. I just received the Momentum 3 wireless and the bass is KING on it. I own many headphones including the JVC bass cannons SZ2000 Japan import and these destroy those. I used the Sennheiser control app to turn the bass up by 2 notches. I can feel each of my brain cells rattle. All of this over bluetooth on a Note 10+.

At first I thought the bass was muddy but it is just thick. I own all 3 of the Sennheiser wireless headphones including the MB 660 MS and 550ii. The MB660 actually has negative fatigue. I cant stop listening to them more and more once I start. They were designed for call centers and business use.

Im looking forward for these burning in a bit and then comparing them to the 660. I love the wide and open soundstage of the 660. It just seems natural. The Momentum has a narrower sound stage but I think this will be perfect for bass heavy edm, trap, dubstep, electronica.

Did I mention the bass on these? Im going to need new eardrums.

One thing is that I couldnt get these to work with the Samsung Note 10+ as a usb dac. USB Player Pro will recognize it as an external dac but will not play any song on it. I know the Note 10+ is very picky with external usb dacs. Anyone know how I can get them to play in strictly USB mode with the USB C cable attached to my phone and BT off?

BTW, the Sennheiser control app is very good - was able to recognize the Momentum and update the firmware over BT.

It's a winner - Ive never had any Sennheiser disappointment me and never had to return any. Over the years have bought about a dozen of them including their lower end models to give as gifts to non audiophile friends.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #396 of 657
When a notification arrives to your iPad (or to your iPhone), the device (or perhaps, the software on the device, I don't know how notification sound are handled by iOS) sends it in HFP to the headphones, and the HFP (the "call mode") profile takes priority over the AD2P (the "media playback mode") profile.

This is designed (on headphones-side) this way so that when/if you're listening to music and a call arrives, the incoming call gets the priority.

Some softwares (not all of them) also send notifications as if they were a "call" notification, hence interrupting your music (as calls - HFP profile - take priority over the media playback - AD2P profile).

In Windows and Android your can actively change those profiles, in iOS I'm not sure.

thanks again! So I feel kind of dumb...but I think I’ve solved it. I turned off relevant notifications on my iPhone but not my iPad. And had them connected at the same time. I find the connection to both a bit flaky so I just disconnected for now from the iPad.
Thanks!

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #398 of 657
Greetings from new user and happy owner of M3.
I bought also Sony WH-1000MX4 and Sennheiser 550-ii but after week of comparing all I felt M3's worked best for me.

Does anyone know is Sennheiser plans on releasing a firmware update which will include a “High-End Sound Tuning” option like they recently included with the Momentum TW2?
This question was asked in another thread and Sennheiser responded: "We'll get back to you on that."

What would be really nice if Sennheizer could implement hearing assistance logic that AirPods Pro can do since IOS 14:
I have mild hearing loss and used BT hearing aids that could play media but with horrible sound quality that was good for podcasts only.
Now I can simply run mimi hearing test and take my own audiogram (this also works with M3's but they're not "calibrated" by app). then use that to tune ArpPods Pro to my specific hearing and its applied to both music and transparency, saved in the earphones. Very impressive!

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #399 of 657
Has anybody figured out exactly which frequencies the eq adjusts? I'm curious for personal reasons so see if, in the future, a more neutral headphone from Sennheiser is something I'd consider.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #400 of 657
Has anybody figured out exactly which frequencies the eq adjusts? I'm curious for personal reasons so see if, in the future, a more neutral headphone from Sennheiser is something I'd consider.
The first attempt to give them the sound I like goes EQ -3/-2 for the lows 0 mid and for the highs +1/+2. Still burning naturally with music so not perfect.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #401 of 657

Do you have any instruction on how to do this? I have terrible problems where just looking at my phone stops the music playing through my M3 from my laptop, if there's just a hint of any sound being played on the phone. I would much rather have the headphones playing audio from two sources simultaneously. Even with phone calls.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #402 of 657
Do you have any instruction on how to do this? I have terrible problems where just looking at my phone stops the music playing through my M3 from my laptop, if there's just a hint of any sound being played on the phone. I would much rather have the headphones playing audio from two sources simultaneously. Even with phone calls.

When i play music from my iPad i keep my iPhone on mute, using the side button which turns on silent mode. This way there is no sound created by the phone, thus M3 goes on uninterrupted. If a phone call comes, the M3 notifies me about it so even though phone is silent i do not miss the call. If i listen on the phone there is no problem since i have turned off sound notifications on the iPad. Generally notifications’ sounds, if not in silent mode, from the second connected device, stop the music on the m3 for a few seconds. It is certainly a poor software implementation from the part of Sennheiser, for which ios and android most probably bear additional responsibility. Especially Apple seems to not be that cooperative on the software department with competitive manufacturers.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #403 of 657
Minus quite a bit in the bass department. Around -3 to -4 or so. I think that puts it in line with headphones with a fairly strong and robust bass response like the B&W P7 Wireless or the K371.
I'm not sure but I believe that the EQ setting roughly (very roughly) corresponds to the frequency at which the bass plateau is elevated so that's the plus side, it doesn't seem to reduce the lower midrange or leave out a bump around 150hz or so.
And it's terrific that it's saved on the headphones and works with all sources.

The bass out of the box is way more elevated than even the highest amount user preference research by Harman and others has demonstrated is favoured by consumers (so it's pointless from a selling stuff point of view, it doesn't bring extra customers, and if a few dBs had been knocked out of it very, very few people would actually complain - particularly for ANC headphones) and corresponds in no way to what any mastering or mixing engineer hears in their studios when working on the tracks these headphones are meant to reproduce. It's quite telling that so far in the responses you've got no one actually elevated the bass response and everyone strived to a degree to reduce it relative to the mids or trebles or both of them :D.

It has to do with the kind of music you listen to. To me, all headphones which are target curve oriented in low frequency, sound quite bass shy. I want the m3 type of clear presentation of mids and highs (not the muddy midrange of the xm4 for example), but still i want the elevated bass that m3 offers. So to me, the m3 are the best combination i could obtain in any BT ANC headphone, elevated bass (not just sub bass, in order to keep the punchy character) as well as clear and balanced mids and sparkly highs. I listen to electronic, experimental mainly, so this character is important for the whole presentation. Now if someone listens more acoustic and singer songwriter, for sure the m3 will sound like bass monsters. It depends on the sound and music each user prefers.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #404 of 657
It has to do with the kind of music you listen to.

No.

I listen to electronic, experimental mainly, so this character is important for the whole presentation. Now if someone listens more acoustic and singer songwriter, for sure the m3 will sound like bass monsters. It depends on the sound and music each user prefers.

I listen to a wide variety of music, including electronic. The type of music has never mattered to the FR curve I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back