Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #287 of 657
Better than nothing, but still a crappy workaround :)

Yes, this is true. I don't understanding why simply on/off button isn't available. But headphone connecting quickly with this method and the 2 connections with 2 devices is better than sa50.

One feature I like in momentum 3 is "smart pause" that is better than I remember, more exact (maybe is improving with past firmware update). And, the ambient mode in my opinion is the more natural sound of the headphones (and bose nc700 too) in my experiernce.

I trying 2 phone calls with m3 and the people don't saying nothing about bad sound, and very important, I put ambient mode for the call and my voice isn't sound in vacuum (isn't easy explaining), not so good like nc700 but isn't bad. This is good new surprise for me. I always using AirPods for calls but by mistake I accepting one call and is better than I thinking, so I making second call. (I din't testing this aspect with sa50 so I don't know if good, bad or similar)

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #288 of 657
I'm really tempted to buy and try the M3.

+ better portability, which is a huge benefit for me
- maybe too bass heavy sound signature
- bluetooth codecs seem to be stupid on such headphones

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #290 of 657
I'm really tempted to buy and try the M3.

+ better portability, which is a huge benefit for me
- maybe too bass heavy sound signature
- bluetooth codecs seem to be stupid on such headphones

You know my opinion of high resolution (hi-res) files in my posts in the shure aonic 50 thread.

I think isn't fair saying is "stupid" if LDAC or aptx HD isn't in a headphone today. For me aac and aptx LL is more important than anything (LL for films and videos), and enough for audiophile experience (and watching films/videos, I don't playing video games).

I buying expensive a&k 380 player in the past for listening (with wired headphones) hi-res files and I comparing with not only cd quality (wav) or flac files, but with aac and mp3 files (192, 256 and 320 kbps). Even wired 256 or 320 aac is enough good for the human ears.

For me, like I saying in shure thread, hi-res files is only important when the master is different (better) than original cd master (but this is very uncommon), but not because hi-res files is sounding better for the human ears.

I don't wanting starting discussion in this thread about hi-res or if burn-in is real or not (I think burn-in isn't real significant in my experience). I think hi-res is new recent gimmick in audio, a new form for making money, similar (not exactly the same) with megapixels competition in photography.

Is probably sennheiser and other companies in future soon including LDAC and aptx HD too because in marketing is necessary competing with other companies, but not because is really giving better sound.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #291 of 657
You know my opinion of high resolution (hi-res) files in my posts in the shure aonic 50 thread.

I think isn't fair saying is "stupid" if LDAC or aptx HD isn't in a headphone today. For me aac and aptx LL is more important than anything (LL for films and videos), and enough for audiophile experience (and watching films/videos, I don't playing video games).

I buying expensive a&k 380 player in the past for listening (with wired headphones) hi-res files and I comparing with not only cd quality (wav) or flac files, but with aac and mp3 files (192, 256 and 320 kbps). Even wired 256 or 320 aac is enough good for the human ears.

For me, like I saying in shure thread, hi-res files is only important when the master is different (better) than original cd master (but this is very uncommon), but not because hi-res files is sounding better for the human ears.

I don't wanting starting discussion in this thread about hi-res or if burn-in is real or not (I think burn-in isn't real significant in my experience). I think hi-res is new recent gimmick in audio, a new form for making money, similar (not exactly the same) with megapixels competition in photography.

Is probably sennheiser and other companies in future soon including LDAC and aptx HD too because in marketing is necessary competing with other companies, but not because is really giving better sound.
I do agree partly.
But I can still hear a difference between SBC and LDAC on the A50. Even on bad source files.

This whole discussion is also just relevant for Android users. With iOS you are stuck with AAC anyways, which has quite good implementation, which is contrary is kinda bad on Android normally.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #292 of 657
I do agree partly.
But I can still hear a difference between SBC and LDAC on the A50. Even on bad source files.

This whole discussion is also just relevant for Android users. With iOS you are stuck with AAC anyways, which has quite good implementation, which is contrary is kinda bad on Android normally.

I never speaking of sbc (although I reading sometime not long time ago that sbc is improving in recent years, but I don't know if this is true). Yes, I use aac with my iPhone, and is true that aac is better implementation in iOS than in android, but I use aptx too in with my macbook pro and is excellent sound. Aptx and aptx LL in android I always hearing is very good.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #293 of 657
I never speaking of sbc (although I reading sometime not long time ago that sbc is improving in recent years, but I don't know if this is true). Yes, I use aac with my iPhone, and is true that aac is better implementation in iOS than in android, but I use aptx too in with my macbook pro and is excellent sound. Aptx and aptx LL in android I always hearing is very good.
I will probably order the M3 and do a comparison.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #295 of 657
I want speaking about 2 aspects of the m3 after I having a second time and after I having the excellent shure aonic 50 (sa50).

The first thing I want saying, again, is that I think still that the sa50 in my opinion having the best sound of all the (anc) wireless headphones and earphones I'm trying in the past (many!)

But I want speaking of 2 very good things I seeing more clearly about the m3.

1) The m3 is a fantastic headphone for when you're listening at low volumes. I doing this often at night when everything in around me is very silent. The m3 is giving excellent sound that I don't having with sa50 before. I'm thinking why?? My answer is connecting with something that the name is "Equal-loudness contour". The m3, in my opinion, is more correct when you're listening at low volumes. With sa50 at night, I always needing turning volume up for the excellent correct sound, but the problem sometimes is I don't wanting this more loud volume!

When I listening with more volume in the day, I use a little eq sometimes (or not) in the m3. Is depending in the album and the quantity of loud I'm listening. I'm sorry but this is the best I can writing for explaining this aspect.

2) This too isn't easy explaining but I listening to m3 and the sound is more dynamic than sa50. Dynamic is how I listening the combination of quiet and more loud instruments and how this instruments is blending together for producing one complete sound picture. I repeating that sa50 is in my opinion more correct with more flat frequency response, beautiful specially how linear is from the low mids until the high treble. But the m3 is offering more dynamic sound, is more like I hear in speakers, sometimes with little eq necessary for putting less bass in m3.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #296 of 657
Cheers for the info guys. I originally ruled these out do to auto off quirks and other reported issues, and the uncompetitive battery life, and lack of AptX HD support.

However a number of alternatives have issues:

B&W PX7 - AptX Adaptive isn't on any devices really at the moment. So falls back to AptX - but importantly no LL
So can expect out of synch audio.
Also earcups may be small?
Artificial leather
Reported odd sound characteristics and volume limiting

Shure Aonic 50
Artificial leather
Smaller earcups
Less comfortable
Less portable
Some reported noise/quality issues

I did like the original Momentum wireless bar two key issues for me:
Uncomfortable headband
Too small earcups for my ears

Both of which seem addressed with these

Sennheiser also seems to have great customer service (they sent me some earpads for free)

And you can buy replacement parts etc, so you can look after and maintain your headphones for years - the way it should be.

Think I'll try these out

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #297 of 657
Apologies if this has been asked before, but has anyone measured the earcups?

So how big they are internally

Few over ears fit my large/long ears.

Most seem to be made for small or medium ears - or for people to put up with the earpads touching ones ears (which seems stupid).

Would be very useful to know, thanks.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #298 of 657

Most seem to be made for small or medium ears - or for people to put up with the earpads touching ones ears (which seems stupid).

Internal earcup size is about 65mm x 40mm.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #299 of 657

The size for putting your ears inside the ear cups is:
45mm horizontal x 63mm vertical x 13mm deep (is little more deep in some parts of the ears)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #300 of 657
Thanks

So I got them. Listening to them now.

First thing I noticed with the sound is the mids sound a bit veiled/recessed - vocals not forward.

Good detail and separation though.

And the bass blooms - I was picturing shockwaves or fireworks - blooming out.

And a warm, enveloping sound.

Not sure how suitable it is for rock etc. Maybe more for classical, cinematic sounding stuff?

I feel like they'd suit a Hanz Zimmer soundtrack well.

The earcups on my Definitive Technology Symphony 1s are falling apart, which will effect the sound, but in comparison the M3s are warmer, bassier, and less crisp.
The Symphony 1s perhaps sound harsh in comparison. Funny, as I never felt they did. But the M3s are definitely warmer. And vocals are less present.

Would have to get used to it but I do think the M3s sound much better actually.

Funny, as I when I tried the original Momentum Wireless I remember them having a snappy bass, and the Symphony 1s sounding warmer and gentler - and I did prefer the snappy bass of the Momentum Wireless.

Unfortunately, the earcups, despite being increased from the previous versions (I tried and returned the original Momentum Wireless when they came out) are still too small for me.

Smaller than my Definitive Technology Symphony 1s

My earlobes and tips of my ears touch the earpads.

Has anyone tried the PX7?

I actually bought them months ago for a good price - but haven't opened them yet.

Apparently, despite looking like a compact design, the earcups are roomier inside.

Hopefully they're roomy enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back