Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #181 of 657
One thing I’d like to be slightly better is multi device connections. I have an iPhone and iPad connected. When I first turn them after a while and put them on it defaults to auto play on the iPad which is device 2. Ideally after a significant lack of activity I don’t want to auto play at all, but it should really start the last device used. I’ve no idea why it does it. It appears the iPad connects quicker so on turning it on I get phone 2 connected then phone 1 connected.

just as a test I took them off and closed them to power down whilst listening to phone 1. Immediately turned on and put back on, iPad (phone 2) starts playing. Is there a way to set a priority?

I have exactly the same thing here with iPhone and iPad. iPad, although it is listed as phone # 2, always connects first and starts playing. I had to turn off smart pause because of this behaviour. Although smart pause itself works perfectly with my headphones.

Another thing that is bothering me is Ambient mode. I set it to "pause the music". Yeah, it is actually written within the app - PAUSE. But the thing is, if I turn on Ambient mode, the music is not paused. It is just muted. So if I turn on Ambient mode to, let's say, have a 5-10 mins conversation, it continues playing music in the background. I turn it off - completely different track is playing. At first I thought I was going insane an it was something with my memory. Might be not a big deal with music, but if you are listening to audiobook or podcast and turn Ambient mode for 10 mins, you are going to miss 10 mins of a story. Just crazy.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #182 of 657
I had a few issues with smart pause, turning off smart pause and then back on again observing the calibration period did work, however mine does still get confused from time to time. Seems to be after using them for a while and may/may not be related to them being connected to two devices since it returned when I connected a second device and both are in range.

It did get better after another reset. Problems I had were

1. too sensitive, keeps pausing when turning head
2. Not sensitive enough, take headphones off but music keeps playing even when laid on desk

it’s not a big deal to turn smart pause off and then on again every so often which fixes it for a while and if it gets bad I’m going to disable it permanently.

did you try to wait for "Power on" before putting headset on head?

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #184 of 657
I have exactly the same thing here with iPhone and iPad. iPad, although it is listed as phone # 2, always connects first and starts playing. I had to turn off smart pause because of this behaviour. Although smart pause itself works perfectly with my headphones.

Another thing that is bothering me is Ambient mode. I set it to "pause the music". Yeah, it is actually written within the app - PAUSE. But the thing is, if I turn on Ambient mode, the music is not paused. It is just muted. So if I turn on Ambient mode to, let's say, have a 5-10 mins conversation, it continues playing music in the background. I turn it off - completely different track is playing. At first I thought I was going insane an it was something with my memory. Might be not a big deal with music, but if you are listening to audiobook or podcast and turn Ambient mode for 10 mins, you are going to miss 10 mins of a story. Just crazy.
I might actually try connecting them the other around. Maybe it prioritises the last device connected. I just have ocd about number 1 being the primary device

On ambient mode I leave it playing and use it just while waiting for announcements and even then rarely. With smart pause working it’s probably easier to take them off and for anything more than a few seconds

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #185 of 657
yes, as mentioned I can fix the problem by disabling then re-enabling smart pause. It’ll then work a few weeks ok before going a bit crazy again. I always wait min 5 seconds after turning on and waiting for connections now

actually, I could imagine that the sensor is calibrated really often, as capacitive sensors are influenced by many many factors which can really often change. So I don't think re-enabling smart pause will help for a few weeks.

I suggest you waiting a bit at start before putting headset on head and this should help a lot.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #186 of 657
actually, I could imagine that the sensor is calibrated really often, as capacitive sensors are influenced by many many factors which can really often change. So I don't think re-enabling smart pause will help for a few weeks.

I suggest you waiting a bit at start before putting headset on head and this should help a lot.

I think if that is the case I must have a faulty pair then, since I do wait a bit at start before putting headset on

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #187 of 657
did you try to wait until voice prompt "power on" before putting headset on head?
Yes, after reading the suggestion, I wait before putting them on the head and, since then, it's working well

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #188 of 657
I have been listening to the M3s and PX7 headphones over the last few days, with the intention to keep one of them. Initially I was disappointed by the PX7s, as an owner of the P7s I was expecting a improvement on the fun, energetic and exciting sound of those, yet what I got was a muddy-sounding albeit bass-driven headphone. In many areas it was great, the portability is good and the case is superb, my use purpose for daily commuting would have been served fairly well by these. Yet in very little time I realised he M3s were the headphones for me, the sound was comparatively bright yet the low end hits hard but isn't bloated. The listening experience was altogether more engaging, detailed and enjoyable than the PX7s so at that point my mind was made up. Noise cancelling is perhaps not on a level of the PX7, nor is the portability. I wish I could take these off and have them hang round my next in a automatically powered off state, and that soft case is next to useless. I do like the classic design, and the comfort of those pads is near perfect. One other notable point is that the M3s amplification seems greater, and sound considerably louder than the PX7s at highest volume which offer little headroom. As much as I am impressed by the M3s, I am disappointed by the PX7s and it seems to me that B&W have made a backwards step with these.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #189 of 657
I’ve decided to ask for a refund on my momentum’s. I continue to have smart pause issues whereby it either starts randomly pausing or more common now doesn’t pause when I take them off sometimes wasting a chunk of battery/blaring my music out. Sennheiser support made plenty of suggestions so generally happy with support but none worked. I’ll maybe check out the next iteration.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #190 of 657
Feb 10, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #191 of 657
Is there a way to turn the M3s off without folding them? The hard case I have ordered (which states its for M3 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FBDDC1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I just realised would mean that they would not be stored as folded, therefore I expect they will never turn off and just drain the battery. Otherwise, is there a alternate to the awful soft case provided?
All you need to do is press & hold the middle multifunction button and it will turn off. It'll give you a power level, but keep pressing & holding, then it will power off after 5 seconds or so.

Make sure you're on the newest firmware, as that was added in the last update.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #192 of 657
All you need to do is press & hold the middle multifunction button and it will turn off. It'll give you a power level, but keep pressing & holding, then it will power off after 5 seconds or so.

Make sure you're on the newest firmware, as that was added in the last update.

Works a treat, many thanks. The case I referenced in my earlier post is, in this case, perfect for my needs. Nice design, solid and fits the M3s beautifully.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #193 of 657
Hi, everyone, I have an issue with my newly bought Sennheiser M3:

It works fine under Bluetooth Mode, but once I plug in the audio cable (with the headphone power on), then I can hear obvious white noise from the headphone (continuous, not very lond, but you can hear it continuously, like overamplified).

But if I use USB-C Cable, or power off the headphone then plug in the audio cable (the sound quality is not good at this mode), there is no such nosie.

Do you know is it normal? or something wrong with my M3?

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #194 of 657

It works fine under Bluetooth Mode, but once I plug in the audio cable (with the headphone power on), then I can hear obvious white noise from the headphone (continuous, not very lond, but you can hear it continuously, like overamplified).

But if I use USB-C Cable, or power off the headphone then plug in the audio cable (the sound quality is not good at this mode), there is no such nosie.

When powered on, wired via 3.5mm, is the ANC still on? For me, in this set up, I hear no white noise. I might try different sources to see if you experience the same thing. I'm testing it right now over my FiiO Q5s and it's dead silent, no matter if music is playing or not.

That being said, these are certainly tuned to be used powered, wireless over BT. Even the USB connection doesn't sound as good as wireless. I've even tried to run this balanced and it's just not as good as wireless.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #195 of 657

Actually you answered your own question in your message. I mean, it's because of ANC. If you put headphone power on and plug the audio cable, ANC is automatically ON, and while you didn't play any music, you can hear some little white noise from the headphone (it's normal because of ANC and you can't hear while some song bumping) . But if the headphones' power OFF and cable is plugged, you can't hear any ANC noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back