Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #166 of 657
I didn't have any of those problems when I used my headset except that headset turning off all the time when I moved my head. So I had to install the app to turn automatic pausing off, and then I also updated the firmware because the app told me to do so. After that I used my headphones outside and didn't notice anything, but when I got inside I thought I had broken them somehow because there was noise all the time from left speaker. The active noise control also was worse than it was before. Now I hear my computer fan when when anc is turned to max.
Noise that left speaker generates disappears when I turn anc off or set it to anti pressure mode, but anti pressure mode is far weaker in noise reduction than the maximum setting.

IMO the headset is useless now. It's broken. ANC is far worse now after I upgraded firmware and there are other problems too. When I connect with bluetooth and anc is off and I mute the sound from my computer (while playing music or something) the headphones keep playing a random tone that keeps playing forever (like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep). And transparent hearing mode generates noise. It worked better before firmware update.

It was great headphones until I upgraded firmware. Now it feels like it's broken.
Most of the wireless headphones out are designed to work with your mobile device and many have issues with the BT stack when dealing with PCs. You may want to send Sennheiser an email, who knows, maybe there's some kind of setting they recommend using to address PC issues.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #167 of 657
I didn't have any of those problems when I used my headset except that headset turning off all the time when I moved my head. So I had to install the app to turn automatic pausing off, and then I also updated the firmware because the app told me to do so. After that I used my headphones outside and didn't notice anything, but when I got inside I thought I had broken them somehow because there was noise all the time from left speaker. The active noise control also was worse than it was before. Now I hear my computer fan when when anc is turned to max.
Noise that left speaker generates disappears when I turn anc off or set it to anti pressure mode, but anti pressure mode is far weaker in noise reduction than the maximum setting.

IMO the headset is useless now. It's broken. ANC is far worse now after I upgraded firmware and there are other problems too. When I connect with bluetooth and anc is off and I mute the sound from my computer (while playing music or something) the headphones keep playing a random tone that keeps playing forever (like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep). And transparent hearing mode generates noise. It worked better before firmware update.

It was great headphones until I upgraded firmware. Now it feels like it's broken.

Ouch. Seems like you had a botched firmware update. I would take it in for warranty repair or replacement.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #168 of 657
Oops

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200123-073047834.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-073047834.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200123-073058862 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-073058862 (1).jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200123-073604642.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-073604642.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200123-073634503.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-073634503.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #169 of 657

I don't have these problems. However, since I updated to the latest firmware, it seems that the smart pause has become too sensitive... Watching a movie, sometimes, the audio goes away and comes back if I shake my head slightly

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #170 of 657
After firmware update I had some issues. The tip given to me work brilliantly. Turn smart pause off then turn it on. It will instruct you to leave them on the desk/table or whatever for 5 seconds to calibrate. I did that and it fixed my smart pause. It’s now working flawlessly. I’ve got in the habit of opening them to turn on and waiting 5 seconds to put them on. Seems to work perfect

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #171 of 657
My only problem now is the join of arms is sharp. A couple of times when opening it nipped my finger and it stings for ages. The old ones the leather went to edge so didn’t have that problem.

they are by far my favourite headphones. Recently I put the old m2 back on and I was amazed there’s a clear improvement in pretty much every department

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #172 of 657
After firmware update I had some issues. The tip given to me work brilliantly. Turn smart pause off then turn it on. It will instruct you to leave them on the desk/table or whatever for 5 seconds to calibrate. I did that and it fixed my smart pause. It’s now working flawlessly. I’ve got in the habit of opening them to turn on and waiting 5 seconds to put them on. Seems to work perfect
I know the calibration procedure and I redone it even after the upgrade. I didn't know it can be useful to wait 5 sec, every time I turn them back on, before putting them on the head. I'll try, thank you

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #173 of 657
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #174 of 657
I wanted to chime in here since this thread (as well as the B&W PX7 thread) has been really helpful. I have spent the better part of the month comparing the Momentum 3, B&W PX7, B&W P7 Wireless, and the Sony XM2 (which I have owned for the past year).

First off, the Sony XM2, while terrific sounding to me didn't sound as good as the other three. I will keep the XM2, since I already own it, for workouts and yardwork. Kind of a beater pair of headphones. FWIW, I haven't listened to the Sony XM3.

I decided to keep the Sennheiser M3 over both B&Ws. To be honest I really liked all three. The PX7 sounded amazing on certain songs but not as great on others. The M3s sounded excellent on all genres and even when the PX7 sounded better, the M3 wasn't far behind. The one thing I liked better on the PX7 was also the thing that bugged me after a while. The bass on the PX7 was super punchy and tight. At first I liked the bass a little better on the PX7 than the M3, but after a while it felt a little too percussive and exaggerated. The M3's bass felt smoother and deeper. Frequency response really felt even throughout the entire range with the bass a little elevated which I really like. Also on certain songs the midrange on the PX7 sounded a little recessed and on certain songs it felt more up front. I think in the end it was that inconsistency that made me return the Px7

I was close to keeping the P7 Wireless over the M3. It was close. The vocal range sounded great on the P7W. A little more forward and present with the P7W. In the end the M3s were more comfortable, and for me using it as my home headphones, the transparency mode was amazing and natural. I really like to be able to listen to music at night in a quiet house and if my wife and kids call me i can hear them. Definitely not important to most but very important to me. The P7W were amazingly intimate, but in a tough call, the M3's felt wider and more airy. I liked both, but I the M3 won for me. Also, even though the ANC wasn't as strong as the PX7 (or none on the P7W), it is good enough for me for the 2-3 flights a year I take.

Hopefully that helps in someones decision.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #177 of 657

I would say that's a pure coincidence, I don't think a firmware update can break the hardware, at least I would expect that it then breaks all units all over the world, which I don't think it is the case?

Did you try to contact Sennheiser support? I have the fealing you may need to get a new unit.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #178 of 657
I would say that's a pure coincidence, I don't think a firmware update can break the hardware, at least I would expect that it then break all units all over the world, which I don't think it the case?

Did you try to contact Sennheiser support? I have the fealing you may need to get a new unit.
I just updated to 3.1.5 and do not have any of the issues you described. Maybe a factory reset will help?

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #179 of 657
I had a few issues with smart pause, turning off smart pause and then back on again observing the calibration period did work, however mine does still get confused from time to time. Seems to be after using them for a while and may/may not be related to them being connected to two devices since it returned when I connected a second device and both are in range.

It did get better after another reset. Problems I had were

1. too sensitive, keeps pausing when turning head
2. Not sensitive enough, take headphones off but music keeps playing even when laid on desk

it’s not a big deal to turn smart pause off and then on again every so often which fixes it for a while and if it gets bad I’m going to disable it permanently.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #180 of 657
One thing I’d like to be slightly better is multi device connections. I have an iPhone and iPad connected. When I first turn them after a while and put them on it defaults to auto play on the iPad which is device 2. Ideally after a significant lack of activity I don’t want to auto play at all, but it should really start the last device used. I’ve no idea why it does it. It appears the iPad connects quicker so on turning it on I get phone 2 connected then phone 1 connected.

just as a test I took them off and closed them to power down whilst listening to phone 1. Immediately turned on and put back on, iPad (phone 2) starts playing. Is there a way to set a priority?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back